Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

argh! computer help please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Downloading MP3s is different as ISPs don't care about that, port scanning however is a direct concern of ISPs.
    whats port scanning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    whats port scanning?
    Its scanning another computer for open ports (I think). If you can find out that a specific computer has open ports you can potentialy use this to gain remote access.

ReputationRep:
    Its scanning another computer for open ports (I think). If you can find out that a specific computer has open ports you can potentialy use this to gain remote access.
    muh sorry im actually talking about packet sniffing. i think.

well whatever ethereal does, thats what i was talking about

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

A good port checker is here: http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

ReputationRep:
    where can i see if i got any open ports? and i do i close it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Indeed.

A good port checker is here: http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
    Thats it! I was looking for that site the other day so Cates can you that test. Cates to that test on the site it will tell you how secure your connection is.

ReputationRep:
    where can i see if i got any open ports? and i do i close it?
    Use the link sombody posted above, if you do have open ports a firewall should close them.

ReputationRep:
    Use the link sombody posted above, if you do have open ports a firewall should close them.
    k, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    oh by the way AT, i use only the windows xp firewall and the firewall in my router, is that enough of protection?

ReputationRep:
    oh by the way AT, i use only the windows xp firewall and the firewall in my router, is that enough of protection?
    Its pretty much all I have and I have been fine so far. A NAT router is better than software anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty much all I have and I have been fine so far. A NAT router is better than software anyway.
    ahhh ok thanks!

ReputationRep:
    even if someone did hack u, it wouldnt be treated any different to if u got a virus in this case, so download an antivirus software, or u can use an online one, and use a firewall. xp one is pretty useless, but its fine for dial-up.

firewalls - best one is either norton interne security or zonealarm for software ones, but ive heard complaints of uninstalling zonealarm, but ive never had any problems with it.

also, if u are on dialup, then u have nothing to worry about as ur ip changes everytime u sign on. if ur internet is permenantly connected, then the ip wont change. if u disconnect it once though and reconnect it, the ip address should change (from personal experience it has worked).

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on the ISP some broadband accounts or static some or dymanic. Mine is static so no matter how many times I restart my router I always have the same IP.

ReputationRep:
    hm. didnt know that. who's ur isp?

ReputationRep:
    Thats it! I was looking for that site the other day so Cates can you that test. Cates to that test on the site it will tell you how secure your connection is.
    Ok, I'll do that.

ReputationRep:
    It is CATE not Cates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Ok, I'll do that.
    OK I did that and it said my firewall is fine. Or something like that.
    Thanks for your help guys, I think it is ok now. Or was before. Or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    well, just incase, here is a link to a pretty good freeware firewall

http://www.jetico.com/jpfwall.exe

description:
    Jetico Personal Firewall protects your computer from unwanted hacker's attacks from outside as well as from malicious programs "living" secretly inside your computer's memory and hard drive. Three levels of protection are included: low-level network packets filtering, application-level network events filtering and filtering of user-level process activity. Jetico Personal Firewall checks every packet that comes in or out of your computer. Using configuration sets for Security Policy you define how your computer is connected to the local network and the whole Internet. Your computer may be completely hidden from any unfriendly attempts to access your hard drive while you are able to access any web sites you want and you decide on which applications are allowed to access Internet and which are not. With Jetico Personal Firewall you feel secure, safe and protected while enjoying all Internet activities.

(Original post by Cate)
    OK, it turns out that the person did actually hack my computer as there are 35 infected files according to a scan thing I did.
    How do I get rid of these, and how do I stop him seeing my IP address, which he can because he just told me that my address is the same as my old one because the IP is the same.
    Also how the hell did he get past my firewall?
    :confused: :mad:
    This is really freaking me out, advise would be appriciated
    Firewalls are easily bypassed so is Norton Antivirus. Usually if not an advanced and heavily malcious trojan (as from what you've described) it will allow removal from startup , unless it's under some kind of timer (checking registry entries (where start-up data lay)). I recommend running MSCONFIG, > Start > RUN > MSCONFIG removing any unsounded entries (ones that you don't recognise). However, it is possible that It could be a service, In which case would require you to have more computer knowledge therefore removal isn't satisfied and you will need to turn up your Firewall settings to a high stance where you need to confirm outgoing connections. It is also good to check firewall logs to you can see entrances and outgoing data from applications. I've not bothered reading the whole of this thread but will do now, sorry If you've already fixed it, just some recommendations for viruses/trojans in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fantasy`)
    Firewalls are easily bypassed so is Norton Antivirus.
    If a person is that determined they can get through practically anything. The above is just for general use.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.