The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Cate
It is CATE not Cates
:tongue:

See me my new signiture this should help :tongue:
G4ry
If a person is that determined they can get through practically anything. The above is just for general use.

True, me and a friend experimented with MSHTML and just through a webpage we could practically gain complete access to their computer.
Reply 42
Fantasy`
True, me and a friend experimented with MSHTML and just through a webpage we could practically gain complete access to their computer.

You could write a PHP script to do it. In fact the PHP cook book practicaly gives you step by step insturctions on how do it:cool:
Reply 43
amazingtrade
See me my new signiture this should help :tongue:

Ahahahahaha!!!!! Excellent :tongue:
One other recommendation Cate, don't be falled by social engineering, It's the hackers best tool. They'll become your best friend then suddenly send you a file called "iloveyou.exe" or "iloveyou.scr", don't be falled, never accept exes unless you really trust someone. Also, zonealarm is a good free firewall I recommend that over anything. It implemts javascript into the web browser (meaning that it injects code) that stops adware, pop-ups, and spyware.
Reply 45
Fantasy`
One other recommendation Cate, don't be falled by social engineering, It's the hackers best tool. They'll become your best friend then suddenly send you a file called "iloveyou.exe" or "iloveyou.scr", don't be falled, never accept exes unless you really trust someone.

It's quite easy to rename the file with a false extension so the file doesn't end in .exe and send it to someone. By the time they find out it's too late anyway.
Reply 46
If it dosn't end in exe, scr, bat, com or pif then it won't execute so its 'probably' harmless. But any of these extensions above avoid like the plague.
amazingtrade
You could write a PHP script to do it. In fact the PHP cook book practicaly gives you step by step insturctions on how do it:cool:

heh. love the cook book. have to get the new edition of the anarchist cookbook. make me a potato launcher in the summer! :biggrin:
G4ry
It's quite easy to rename the file with a false extension so the file doesn't end in .exe and send it to someone. By the time they find out it's too late anyway.

Yeah ofcourse but if the file has the name virus.jpg and cate was to execute it, the file would be associated with the default graphics package not ".exe". ".exe" is the only extension associated with application (executable). The graphics package is interpreting the data, not executing it.
Reply 49
moo100times
heh. love the cook book. have to get the new edition of the anarchist cookbook. make me a potato launcher in the summer! :biggrin:

I don't actually have a copy but I borrowered one from my unis libarary. I am waiting for the PHP5 cook book to come out though then I will be buy it. I love PHP so much.
Reply 50
moo100times

You don't need the cook book to do that, there are plenty of websites that have plans. I was going to make a pneumatic spud cannon, but never got around to it. I may do it in the summer if i'm that bored.
amazingtrade
I don't actually have a copy but I borrowered one from my unis libarary. I am waiting for the PHP5 cook book to come out though then I will be buy it. I love PHP so much.

Amazingtrade are you interested in starting up the programmers society with me :smile:?
Fantasy`
Amazingtrade are you interested in starting up the programmers society with me :smile:?

Did someone say programmers :biggrin:
Reply 53
Fantasy`

Hehe yes I many people have asked for somthing along those lines. It will stop the general chat area being clocked up Java/PHP/C++/VB questions.
Pixelfairy #1
Did someone say programmers :biggrin:

Looks like I have a member then :redface:
Reply 55
about the msn thing.

as someone said before, when you chat, all of the information is passed through their server to the other user. the only time you get to see the other person's ip is when you are having a data/voice/webcam transfer as too much information is being passed to route througg msn server, so a direct connnection is used.
you can see this, from the fact that no matter who's computer you log in from, all your 'buddy' addresses are there, even though that is the first time you are logging on their computer, and when someone logs in you immediately get an update. this is because the msn messenger is always talking with their servers.

secondly. at the moment i have 3 firewalls up and running, all checking each other's connection as well just in case. 2 of them are free and one is norton, and i have not had any problems as of yet.

a good program to have is OptiLaunch. it has kool tollkits which allow you to see all the programs and modules that are running on your computer, more than Ctrl+Alt+Del shows. also, you can disable progarms from starting up and check memory and stuff.

most of the time you get a virus from being careless. i would recommend that every user should have file extension displays on all the time, especially if you have xp (to do with faking icons). i find it funny when people catch viruses from a files called "mypictures.exe". just because the e-mail says its a picture doesn't mean it is one. pictures come in .jpg , .bmp , .gif . the rest aren't suitable for internet.

if you see a exe, it is 99.9% of the time a virus or trojan. simple as that.
amazingtrade
Hehe yes I many people have asked for somthing along those lines. It will stop the general chat area being clocked up Java/PHP/C++/VB questions.

Ok then let's do it! You start the thread or me?
Reply 57
Fantasy`
Ok then let's do it! You start the thread or me?

You might as well start as it as its your idea:smile:
G4ry
You don't need the cook book to do that, there are plenty of websites that have plans. I was going to make a pneumatic spud cannon, but never got around to it. I may do it in the summer if i'm that bored.

heh. my friends and i were looking forward to it, and my mate is a dt pro. he can build pretty much anything, so this might be one to try out. there are loads more things to try in that book. damn summer only being 8 weeks.
SasunD
about the msn thing.

as someone said before, when you chat, all of the information is passed through their server to the other user. the only time you get to see the other person's ip is when you are having a data/voice/webcam transfer as too much information is being passed to route througg msn server, so a direct connnection is used.
you can see this, from the fact that no matter who's computer you log in from, all your 'buddy' addresses are there, even though that is the first time you are logging on their computer, and when someone logs in you immediately get an update. this is because the msn messenger is always talking with their servers.

secondly. at the moment i have 3 firewalls up and running, all checking each other's connection as well just in case. 2 of them are free and one is norton, and i have not had any problems as of yet.

a good program to have is OptiLaunch. it has kool tollkits which allow you to see all the programs and modules that are running on your computer, more than Ctrl+Alt+Del shows. also, you can disable progarms from starting up and check memory and stuff.

most of the time you get a virus from being careless. i would recommend that every user should have file extension displays on all the time, especially if you have xp (to do with faking icons). i find it funny when people catch viruses from a files called "mypictures.exe". just because the e-mail says its a picture doesn't mean it is one. pictures come in .jpg , .bmp , .gif . the rest aren't suitable for internet.

if you see a exe, it is 99.9% of the time a virus or trojan. simple as that.

True but however, when I was I making a MSN Client I found out that they don't even have to accept the invitation and you can obtain their IP (file transfer).

Latest

Trending

Trending