not meeting requirements for psychology

Watch
cathartic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Im currently waiting for my gcse results and i am extremely paranoid as i don't think ill meet the school id like to go to's requirements to take psychology. I really want to become a clinical psychologist and therefore really want to take psychology. The subject requires b's in core and additional science however, after looking at unofficial mark schemes i am convinced that i will achieve high c's which if i am lucky might scrape into b's however i really doubt that.
How can i convince the school to allow me to take psychology a level if i will be applying as an external student if i get c's instead of b's in science? Also how likely is it that you will get better grades than expected?
prophetkid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cathartic)
Im currently waiting for my gcse results and i am extremely paranoid as i don't think ill meet the school id like to go to's requirements to take psychology. I really want to become a clinical psychologist and therefore really want to take psychology. The subject requires b's in core and additional science however, after looking at unofficial mark schemes i am convinced that i will achieve high c's which if i am lucky might scrape into b's however i really doubt that.
How can i convince the school to allow me to take psychology a level if i will be applying as an external student if i get c's instead of b's in science? Also how likely is it that you will get better grades than expected?
I find it strange that you need GCSE science to take Psychology, this wasn't a requirement for me, and the course isn't heavily scientific. Saying this, you'll probably be okay with high C grades. Colleges don't tend to be too fussy with the requirements, and if they are then they will probably make you resit GCSE science alongside your A Levels.

Also I wouldn't use the unofficial mark schemes as a basis to decide whether you did well or not. The answers on these aren't always correct, and the exam board adjust grade boundaries if the exam was particularly hard/easy.
cathartic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by prophetkid)
I find it strange that you need GCSE science to take Psychology, this wasn't a requirement for me, and the course isn't heavily scientific. Saying this, you'll probably be okay with high C grades. Colleges don't tend to be too fussy with the requirements, and if they are then they will probably make you resit GCSE science alongside your A Levels.

Also I wouldn't use the unofficial mark schemes as a basis to decide whether you did well or not. The answers on these aren't always correct, and the exam board adjust grade boundaries if the exam was particularly hard/easy.

Thank you i hope they allow me to take it did you achieve better grades than expected at GCSE or did you get what you thought you would get if you don't mind me asking ? Also should I read books related to psychology during the summer or is it not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
prophetkid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cathartic)
Thank you i hope they allow me to take it did you achieve better grades than expected at GCSE or did you get what you thought you would get if you don't mind me asking ? Also should I read books related to psychology during the summer or is it not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
For my triple science GCSEs I expected BBC and came out with ABB, so you'd be surprised. But in the worst case scenario that you can't study psychology, it's not a requirement to study psychology at university.

I would recommend reading at least one book. I'm assuming you're wanting to apply for a psychology degree to lead to a clinical psychologist, so when it comes to writing your personal statement you can include the book/books you've written.

If you want a few book ideas to help you prepare for A Level Psychology, I would recommend something related to memory (multi store model, working memory model, research by Loftus) or attachment (Ainsworths Strange Situation, Bowlby).

I absolutely love psychology and I am studying it in September. If you have any psychology related questions at all, I'm happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
9.01%
Isolating with family (28)
6.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.08%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.15%
Loneliness (46)
9.87%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (45)
9.66%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.3%

Watched Threads