Which state/city in USA is most advantageous Watch

NaturalProduct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello community,

As much research as I've done so far states and cities in USA are very depending on the person's aspirations and goals as well as the environment he feels great to live in, such as the weather, the view, suburb, cities and so on.

I though I could ask people who has faced similar stage in life and was considering which state they should go to and where they happy or not with the decision, what could have been done differently?. Mostly, people travels to the family or friends and stays at those cities for good, in my case I have nothing there, just the vision.

I prefer suburbs only to live there, but eventually work in the city and as the city is more busy(high population) it's a plus for me.

When you really come to the research without knowing anything it's extremely hard to tighten the information, but I came up to the following options:

Denver, Colorado. City looks fairly well, but not that big, has 4 different weather seasons and especially it's good for me, whilst it's in the middle in the usa and I am focusing towards the jobs with the logistics, as I've been working a year so far in this industry and want to extend my skills in this industry.

Cary North Carolina. City looks clean and with such a houses and environment I'd like to live in the future, but isn't its boring? . (Cary is mostly a sleeping city, whilst all cities around are the ones to work in).

Los Angeles, California. Great weather, a lot of competition, expensive prices, but eventually it's a good place to live if you manage to be successful. I've heard many rumors about this city of "Angels", good and bad. But the worst part that this city is fulled up with the actors and singers etc. And in my case I want to be successful in business and Logistics industry, would I be still able to do this here? Or should I consider other states and cities?

Ultimately, I would accept any options and would happily read your opinion on the states and cities. I am 19 years old, I have highest business collage degree and a year experience in the Logistics/mostly freight forwarding in Europe.

Thank you for your time !
$100Bill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I heard Los Angeles has terrible traffic?
NaturalProduct
Rep:
?
(Original post by $100Bill)
I heard Los Angeles has terrible traffic?
Unfortunately it has, indeed. Biggest ones in the world.
ChefCurry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Being from the USA and having been in LA before, it's an amazing city.

Not only does LA have a great city life the suburbs around LA are some of the best in the country. Pasadena is an ideal place to raise a family and it is not far from downtown LA. Plus sports, weather and nightlife are amazing there
Fantasysequins
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I live in Lakewood a suburb of Denver, Colorado and its a pretty alright place to live. we get more days of sunshine then just about anywhere in the us (seriously there can be 2ft. of snow on the ground and sunshine). Public transportation is not the best but we're working on it. If you're outdoorsy there is plenty to do.

I dont know if this is helpful but Lockheed Martin is based in Colorado. They are an aerospace, defense, security and advanced technology company. So they might have logistics opportunities.
NaturalProduct
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChefCurry)
Being from the USA and having been in LA before, it's an amazing city.

Not only does LA have a great city life the suburbs around LA are some of the best in the country. Pasadena is an ideal place to raise a family and it is not far from downtown LA. Plus sports, weather and nightlife are amazing there
Thanks for the opinion! May I ask you where do you live right now and not in the LA?? Why?

In the past days I've read a lot about LA, loads of mixed opinions, but in fact the costs are very high in this city comparing to many other places in USA, especially when I have to make a move of over 9000km I'd probably like to settle down at some cheaper place at the beginning, to understand the routine and deal with many other essential things of living in USA. In the future I might be considering LA.

I still researching many other cities in US and as we say in our language - As deep you go into the forest, more trees you can see. That one fits there.
NaturalProduct
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fantasysequins)
I live in Lakewood a suburb of Denver, Colorado and its a pretty alright place to live. we get more days of sunshine then just about anywhere in the us (seriously there can be 2ft. of snow on the ground and sunshine). Public transportation is not the best but we're working on it. If you're outdoorsy there is plenty to do.

I dont know if this is helpful but Lockheed Martin is based in Colorado. They are an aerospace, defense, security and advanced technology company. So they might have logistics opportunities.
Hello!

Thank you for sharing info. What I am really afraid of Denver, that by the opinions and reviews it does look as the boring city, even though it's one of the biggest in Colorado, would you agree?
Fantasysequins
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NaturalProduct)
Hello!

Thank you for sharing info. What I am really afraid of Denver, that by the opinions and reviews it does look as the boring city, even though it's one of the biggest in Colorado, would you agree?
Aside from sporty things there isn't much to do if you're under 21. I've never been to California so I cant really compare it to LA
MattSkoldpaddan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I live in LA. Um, the smog is horrific. The traffic is horrific. The heat is horrible (depending on where you live) and the city's infrastructure is kinda crap. On the positive side, the beaches are awesome, the people can be nice. LA is VERY diverse, so the food and culture is awesome.

But just would like to point out, LA is a HUGE city. So make sure you research what environments you like because if you hate hot weather, don't move near the San Fernando Valley. If you love beaches, move to the coast areas such as Santa Monica or Newport Beach. Just consider the closer you get to the beach, (in most cases) the more expensive it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NaturalProduct
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattSkoldpaddan)
I live in LA. Um, the smog is horrific. The traffic is horrific. The heat is horrible (depending on where you live) and the city's infrastructure is kinda crap. On the positive side, the beaches are awesome, the people can be nice. LA is VERY diverse, so the food and culture is awesome.

But just would like to point out, LA is a HUGE city. So make sure you research what environments you like because if you hate hot weather, don't move near the San Fernando Valley. If you love beaches, move to the coast areas such as Santa Monica or Newport Beach. Just consider the closer you get to the beach, (in most cases) the more expensive it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there many business people and corporations? Or only singers, actors, producers etc.

What about other cities in California, such as San diego, San jose, San Francisco and so on. Any cities more worth to live in rather than the LA?
Oscar.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My goal is to become successful in the entertainment industry and be able to live comfortably in LA/Cali. I realise it's "unrealistic" but **** it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
MattSkoldpaddan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is there many business people and corporations? Or only singers, actors, producers etc.

What about other cities in California, such as San diego, San jose, San Francisco and so on. Any cities more worth to live in rather than the LA?
There is a lot of business people. We have to have a lot in order to sustain our huge population XD.

In terms of actors, people seem to exaggerate how many there are. Maybe if you lived in West LA, you might see some every so often.

I personally think San Diego is beautiful, but I'm not really to sure how expensive the real estate is down there. San Jose, so I've heard, is really nice. It's a smaller city than say, San Diego and LA. If you wanted to work for tech industries, that'd be the place (or area) to go considering it is in Silicon Valley. San Francisco is by far my favorite of all the cities listed. I don't really want to get into why, I'll leave that to you. The major factor in San Francisco is that it's by far the most expensive to live in. I believe it is one of the most expensive places in the world.
MattSkoldpaddan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Oscar.)
My goal is to become successful in the entertainment industry and be able to live comfortably in LA/Cali. I realise it's "unrealistic" but **** it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good for you !
Need2Study4Exam
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
England > USA
MattSkoldpaddan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Need2Study4Exam)
England > USA
From what I hear, I agree.
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Los Angeles, California. Great weather, a lot of competition, expensive prices, but eventually it's a good place to live if you manage to be successful. I've heard many rumors about this city of "Angels", good and bad. But the worst part that this city is fulled up with the actors and singers etc. And in my case I want to be successful in business and Logistics industry, would I be still able to do this here? Or should I consider other states and cities?

Hate to be a pessimist, but LA has some serious, serious problems, crime figures are ridiculous, housing is pretty expensive, drugs are a major problem, lots of guns, lots of inequality. You're only really seeing one side of the coin when you think about LA
Need2Study4Exam
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MattSkoldpaddan)
From what I hear, I agree.
Apart from the weather and just about everything else, it's the best
NaturalProduct
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbreef)

Hate to be a pessimist, but LA has some serious, serious problems, crime figures are ridiculous, housing is pretty expensive, drugs are a major problem, lots of guns, lots of inequality. You're only really seeing one side of the coin when you think about LA
I am not surprised. :-) Already read about that, there's absolutely always the other side of the coin. When I do compare this city with many other ones that I keep my interest on, I feel that the LA would be the worst option, at least today, but at some point I am still being attracted to this area, probably because of the weather, palm trees, beach, healthiness, possibilities, who doesn't want life like this? I sound childish here, haha. (But loads of things pushing me back from this city, especially cost of living - which means tough start in usa and probably living later on, traffics etc.)
Gladiatorsword
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fantasysequins)

Do you have any tornados in denver considering that colorado lies partly in tornado alley?

Posted from TSR Mobile
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am not surprised. :-) Already read about that, there's absolutely always the other side of the coin. When I do compare this city with many other ones that I keep my interest on, I feel that the LA would be the worst option, at least today, but at some point I am still being attracted to this area, probably because of the weather, palm trees, beach, healthiness, possibilities, who doesn't want life like this? I sound childish here, haha. (But loads of things pushing me back from this city, especially cost of living - which means tough start in usa and probably living later on, traffics etc.)
LA would be a desert without senseless theft and irrigation. And the pollution.....oh the pollution. And did I mention it's as to a criminal's paradise as you can get in the US
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads