Preparation for Computer Science at University Watch

Soyeb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I am going to start University this year. I just want to be as prepared as I can be because I have not done this course at GCSE or BTEC. Although I have done the BTEC IT but I think there is a big difference in them two subjects.

Currently I have started checking out HTML online and trying to learn it online.

Is there anything else you should recommend I do?

These will be my first year Modules.

•Computer Ethics
•Computer Law
•Portfolio
•Operating Systems
•Network Security
•Computer Architecture
•Programming in C
•Scientific Testing
•Mathematics
•Functional Programming
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you do the BTEC Level 3 in IT, is that what got you into uni?

If so then it is great preparation for CompSci, and in my BTEC i covered most of the modules on that list

If you want to do stuff over the summer the best tging woyld ve to do some maths, in CompSci the focus is on Discrete Mathematics, so read up on teh fillowing topics:
- Set Theory
- Matricies
- Vectors
- Number systems
- Algoritms and Data strutures
- Automata theory
- Logic
- Proof by induction

Also buy a book on C programming, SAMS Teach yourself is good
-
Soyeb
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Did you do the BTEC Level 3 in IT, is that what got you into uni?

If so then it is great preparation for CompSci, and in my BTEC i covered most of the modules on that list

If you want to do stuff over the summer the best tging woyld ve to do some maths, in CompSci the focus is on Discrete Mathematics, so read up on teh fillowing topics:
- Set Theory
- Matricies
Vec
Yeah I did BTEC Level 3 in IT. I also did the first year of Computing AS. And I did another A level which wasn't relevant to IT.

I don't think the units we did covered many aspects of what I am expected to do that at Uni. That is what worries me. Many things will be new to me.

And sure. I will get about to reading up on the maths part. I haven't done it for 2 years now though
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Soyeb)
Yeah I did BTEC Level 3 in IT. I also did the first year of Computing AS. And I did another A level which wasn't relevant to IT.

I don't think the units we did covered many aspects of what I am expected to do that at Uni. That is what worries me. Many things will be new to me.

And sure. I will get about to reading up on the maths part. I haven't done it for 2 years now though
sorry i accidentally hit submit mid-way through writing my post :P - it is now updated

oh right, how many units did you do and what where they called?
Soyeb
Rep:
?
I did 6 this year and 6 last year.
the ones I can remember are
Projext Planning
Creeating a website.
Hardware

3D Modelling
Networking
Information Systems
Using Excel or relevamt to that
Databases
Moving Robots (not.sure the title lol)

Will C be the main language to learn?
Thats alot of Maths... The Uni I am going didnt have maths as a requirement...

And sure I will check that book out.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ah okay, so no programming, software dev, computer architecture or maths for it

and by 'hardware' you mean Unit 2: Computer Systems right? because in that unit you should have done an assignment on Operating Systems

No, usually you will learn Java the most, i just said learn C because you said you were doing a specific module in it, you should learn Java too though, you can get a SAMS book for it too

your Networks module will be useful too as i believe there was a criteria on Network Security.

what uni is it?

well, Computer Science as a subject is built from maths, and you have a mathematics module, you probably do most of the topics that i said, also i did a lot more than the ones i previously said, i just picked the most relevant ones from my 2 first year maths modules. discrete maths is not too hard to pick up tbh,
Soyeb
Rep:
?
De Montfort Uni, Leicester.

No I havent done any of programming software development, architecture or maths.

And yes it was Unit 2. With Operating Systems.

Ohh. Someone said we will do XHTML/CSS too... Whats the difference between normal HTML and XHTML if you know?

And I guess I will need to do a lot of Maths. I hope its not too hard as you said..

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
14.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10.05%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.64%

Watched Threads