This discussion is closed.
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL
I did AS general studies in June, but I don't think I did that well in it, as I did no revision whatsoever, so do you think it would be a good idea to not declare this result if I got below a certain grade, say a C???

Thanks again,
PHIL
I wouldn't worry too much. Theres not really a great deal of revision you can do for General Studies. If you have a good essay style I doubt you would have much of a problem.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lou P Lou,
I think, that your meant to write in any additional info, whcih you haven't included in your personal statement, as its only applicable to say oxford. E.g, why you want to go to oxford, or why you want to do a certain subject, which might not be offered at other unis.

I am not sure about this though, so if you do find out could you possibly post the answer on this site????

Also, what year are you looking at entry in?

Cheers,
Phil
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i'm looking at entry in 2004- i've just done my AS levels- what about you?

i think i'm going to ask the oxbridge person at my college what to put- cos i'm really clueless. when i went to the open days i didn't think i was going to apply, so didn't listen properly, then went to the experimental psychology talk + fell in love with the course. the person we had our further education talk with said that we could e-mail her for any information so i think i'll get hold of some stuff about all the forms.

keep me posted about how you're getting on with it all!

lou xxx
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I also just did my ASs, and am now in the period of dreaded wait!
I went up to oxford for the opendays on the 2nd and 3rd, and absolutel loved the place. The place was really geared towards students, with quality Pubs and bars everywhere, with pretty good prices and really nice and friendly people. what college did you look at, I went to Pembroke on the 2nd and slept there, before going on to trinity the next day.

What subjects you doing, and how do you reckon you did?

Phil
lou p lou
Rep:
?
I did maths. psychology, economics and philosophy- i have no idea how i did (i am the world's worst person at predicting, last year i thought i'd failed and was made up when i got my actual results). I'm going to drop economics though (there is no way i could stay sane and do that for another year + the teachers wouldn't want me now cos i've been so horrid about the standard of teaching) + do an AS in biology.

I stayed in Balliol which was really nice, i didn't really look around anywhere else because i wasn't going to apply, then i changed my mind...so i might just make an open application.

It didn't really suprise me how studenty it was, cos let's face it, it's pretty much all there is- it is the epitome of a University city.

What subjects are you doing?
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just did my AS exams in Economics, maths, Business studies, and french, and General Studies. I am definitely dropping General, as its boring as hell, and utterly pointless, but I think I am going to have to do all 4 of my other subjects, which'll be fun!!!!
I see what you mean about not being surprised by the ampunt of pubs, and stuff for students etc, but I always thought it would be full of really boring academics, who would all be disscussing Einstein's theory of relativity etc. in really boring pubs.
Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised as to how wrong I was,

Cheers,
Phil
PsychBrainiac
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
32 Days to go now, lol.

lou P lou, I noticed that you mentioned studying Psychology at Oxford and was wondering what Examination Board you are currently taking A level Psychology with?. I am following the OCR Syllabus and think it is well structured, much better then some other courses OCR run. Just wondering what one you're doing? . We are currently doing our research projects for A2, however the deadline is May 1st 2004 lol, our teacher wants us to get them completed as soon as possible lol.

Speak to you soon,
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Originally posted by PsychBrainiac
32 Days to go now, lol.

lou P lou, I noticed that you mentioned studying Psychology at Oxford and was wondering what Examination Board you are currently taking A level Psychology with?. I am following the OCR Syllabus and think it is well structured, much better then some other courses OCR run. Just wondering what one you're doing? . We are currently doing our research projects for A2, however the deadline is May 1st 2004 lol, our teacher wants us to get them completed as soon as possible lol.

Speak to you soon,
hiya, i'm doing psychology with AQA- i think it's a pretty good course, there were parts of the AS course that were a bit boring, but with the A2 course your teachers can pick and choose the topics a lot more. I don't know how it's different to OCR- maths is the only subject i do with them, all the rest are AQA.
We're starting our coursework in september. What are you doing yours on?

lou xxx
brie_01
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL
Lou P Lou,
I think, that your meant to write in any additional info, whcih you haven't included in your personal statement, as its only applicable to say oxford. E.g, why you want to go to oxford, or why you want to do a certain subject, which might not be offered at other unis.

I am not sure about this though, so if you do find out could you possibly post the answer on this site????

Also, what year are you looking at entry in?

Cheers,
Phil
Hi!
I applied to Oxford last year & will hopefully be starting in October if I get the grades (I agree that waiting for results is sooo stressful!!) I come from a state school which hasnt sent anyone to oxford or cambridge for years & so i didnt really have any help on forms & I found that section of the form horrible!! I ended up writing about how I felt i could thrive in an environment where people love to learn & loads of history etc. It sounded really gay and I wasn't happy with it but sent it anyway. When I was there at the interviews I spoke to other people and found that most people had left it blank. All the people I have stayed in contact with have got offers and most of these didnt write anything. So, basically I think I'm trying to say (in a rather long way round!) that you shouldn't worry too much about this box and just write something if you think it would impress the tutors.
Good luck to you all,
Brie .x.
PsychBrainiac
Report 16 years ago
Hi Lou,

Mine is on Doctor to Patient Relationship and how hair style can affect this. Its quite interesting.... I've just finished collecting my results and have began to do some of the statistical tests, including the Mann Whitney U Test. I can't believe how quickly time has gone after sitting the AS and how soon the results will be issued. I break up from College at 11.45 Thursday 24th July, What about you?

Allan
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Originally posted by PsychBrainiac
Mine is on Doctor to Patient Relationship and how hair style can affect this. Its quite interesting.... I've just finished collecting my results and have began to do some of the statistical tests, including the Mann Whitney U Test. I can't believe how quickly time has gone after sitting the AS and how soon the results will be issued. I break up from College at 11.45 Thursday 24th July, What about you?

Allan
that sounds so interesting but is something i would never have thought of because it seems quite obscure.

i break up next wednesday (16th), but my twin (different school) finished last wednesday + my ex boyfriend finished about 2 weeks ago- so we're basically the only college in the area still having lessons.

what do you want to do at uni?

lou xxx
PsychBrainiac
Report 16 years ago
Lou,

Psychology at the University of Surrey, they only need ABB, perhaps going up to AAB later this year. The 2nd Year a few people from the year group can do an exchange with America for a year, so basically 10 people go over to America for their 2nd year of their degree and 10 people from America come over to Britain to do their 2nd year here. The 3rd year is a Professional Placement year when you go out to work somewhere with a Psychological Theme. The 4th year you to a Six Month research project which should be fun lol. How is Oxford's course structured?

Allan
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi!
I applied to Oxford last year & will hopefully be starting in October if I get the grades (I agree that waiting for results is sooo stressful!!) I come from a state school which hasnt sent anyone to oxford or cambridge for years & so i didnt really have any help on forms & I found that section of the form horrible!! I ended up writing about how I felt i could thrive in an environment where people love to learn & loads of history etc. It sounded really gay and I wasn't happy with it but sent it anyway. When I was there at the interviews I spoke to other people and found that most people had left it blank. All the people I have stayed in contact with have got offers and most of these didnt write anything. So, basically I think I'm trying to say (in a rather long way round!) that you shouldn't worry too much about this box and just write something if you think it would impress the tutors.
Good luck to you all,
Brie .x.

Hi Brie,
What subjects did you do for ALevel, and what was your offer. Also, what subject are you going to do, and at what college?

Cheers,
Phil
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Matta
results out on the 14th of august right? (in England) so dus that meen that it 9s so for evry country?

the as/a and i think gnvq all come out on aug 14th for all the united kingdom, they'll probably be out a couple of days later else where i would have thought.

love Katy ***
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think if you do get a C or below then don't declare GS, but write down (in your personal statement) words to this extent: "I took some GS modules last summer and am working towards an A2 in it"... sort of subtly suggest that you didn't take enough modules to get an AS, so you couldn't certificate. [/B][/QUOTE]

if your not going to declare it, dont mention it - or they will ask you about it. eg -what modules did you do and why didnt you get an as in it??

if they dont know its missing - they'll never know, and if they do ask if you took it just say you went to the lessons but prefered to spend your time on more accademic subjects.

love Katy ***
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cheers Katy, that's what I was thinking of doing, cause when it came to lessons, or time to revise, as I knew so many Unis ignored it, I didn't even look at revising it, preparing to concentrate on Maths, which I was well worried about, and ended up spending too much time on this, and nowhere near enough time on my other subjects. Do you reckon then I should declare it, and just give that explanation, and if I do accept my results, can I choose not to declare it on my UCAS form?????

Cheers again for your help,
Phil
yawn
Badges: 14
Report 16 years ago
Students in Scotland get their results 2 days before rest of UK which means they get to enter clearing, if necessary, 2 days before rest of us! Is this fair or should Ucas put embrago on clearing until all of UK have results?
brie_01
Report 16 years ago
Hi Brie,
What subjects did you do for ALevel, and what was your offer. Also, what subject are you going to do, and at what college?

Cheers,
Phil [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Phil!

I did A levels in Biology, Chemistry & Maths and AS levels in PE and GS(absolutely pointless!!!)
My offer is for AAA so AS levels weren't included, so I wouldn't worry bout your general studies!! I'm sure you've done fine in it though - I didn't understand a word of the passage that I had to answer questions on in section B of one module I did last year and I managed an A!! It was quite amusing because I said when I left the exam that if I got higher than a D the examiner is stupid!!! So even if you think you've failed I bet you havent

I'm going to do Chemistry (most people think I'm mad but hey!). I don't know which college at though because I was given an open offer. I went for my interview at Hertford, but the open offer means I could still go there if someone else doesn't get the grades or any other college with space. I won't find out til August which is a bit annoying, but thats not long away now!

Oh, on the declaring AS results subject - my school didnt aggregate any of our AS results so I only got grades for each module, no overall grades. This meant I couldn't write any results on my ucas form, but my teacher mentioned my module results in the reference section.

I hope thats of some help

Brie.x.
brie_01
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by yawn
Students in Scotland get their results 2 days before rest of UK which means they get to enter clearing, if necessary, 2 days before rest of us! Is this fair or should Ucas put embrago on clearing until all of UK have results?
They should wait - that's unfair! Mind you the foreign students are at even more of an advantage because the have known their results and where they are going for ages already! But then I suppose they are having to arrange moving to another country, so thats not as unfair as letting Scottish students into clearing first!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for that Brie,
How did you find the interview process, and what work would you suggest I do over the summer hols to strengthen my Oxford application?
Cheers,
Phil
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (92)
27.46%
No (243)
72.54%

Watched Threads