Exam results- 5 weeks to go Watch

This discussion is closed.
brie_01
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Thats ok Phil - anytime!

I actually found the interview process really good! Before I went I really didn't think I wanted to go there - I only applied really to shut my parents and teachers up! I never ever thought I'd get an offer! I was suffering from the common 'I'm not good enough for this place and noone will talk to me - they will all be stuck up!'
That is rubbish though because all the interviewers are looking for is academic skill and knowledge and enthusiasm etc. They wouldn't care if you had purple skin I don't think! The people that I met there were soo lovely too, and I soon realised after talking to people that almost everyone felt the same as me. I've stayed in contact with some people and will no doubt meet up with them if we all get the grades!
My main advice for you would be not to set your heart on going because that will put so much pressure on you when you are there for interviews. I think it was actually an advantage not really thinking I would get in so I wasn't really bothered. In the interview just be yourself because the tutors that interview you would be the people that would teach you for the next 3/4 years, so they want to see if they could get on with you as a person too. Over the summer and before the interview just make sure your knowlegde of your subject is good. I would recommend reading through the A2 sections of course text books etc. because i was asked a lot of questions on stuff that I hadn't covered at the time.
Anyway, I'm going to stop babbling on now because you're probably asleep!! But feel free to ask me anymore questions if you find my babbling in any way useful!!!

Take care,
Brie.x.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I appreciate your babbling, as its helpful, and informative. Was most of your interview about the actual subject, or was there also things testing your general and cultural knowledge.

Cheers again for your help,
Phil
Leaby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello,

I am another awaiting-AS-level results student, who is also eager to study psychology at university. The problem is, I only do three AS subjects at the moment, but because of that I have been able to concentrate fully on the three subjects and work hard on them. I know that whatever I get in them is probably the best I can do. I was wondering if me only doing 3 A levels and no extra AS would be a big problem, cos I know if I take another AS next year it'll just mess up my final A2 grades. Is there any advice anyone can give me about making up for this empty patch?

I certainly wouldn't try applying to Oxbridge, but Oxford is indeed a gorgeous place! Good luck to all of you who are applying!
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In short, do nothing. Continue to keep the three A2 grades - if they will have improved based on more focus, keep them.

Universities, or the ones I've applied to at least, have NOT included the dropped AS in the offer (which was a B in Physics), although should you fall slightly short of the requirements on the day next year, the AS grade is always a good bargaining tool.

My advice, stay with the 3 A2's.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know you said your not thinking of applying to Oxford, so this is only an axemple, which I'm using, but I was told when I went to the Oxford open day that they only look at the 3Alevels, and wouldn't look at AS results. Also, if you only did 3 ASs as your school couldn't or wouldn't offer you the ability to study more, then as long as you tell this to the Uni your applying to, then it shouldn't count against you technically.
As for taking an extra AS, only do this if your Uni say its neccessary, and you don't still feel that your other subjects will suffer.
Hope this helps,
Phil
brie_01
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL
I appreciate your babbling, as its helpful, and informative. Was most of your interview about the actual subject, or was there also things testing your general and cultural knowledge.

Cheers again for your help,
Phil
Hey again

Yeah most of my interview was about the subject. I mean I dont know what its like for economics and management, but in my interview ( I only had 1!!! I was very lucky!!!!) I had four people in there. There was one tutor for each of the three aspects of chemistry and then there was the head of department who didnt ask me any questions until right at the end. Each one of them took it in turns to ask me questions. They were all really friendly, but there were alot of tricky questions. So don't go in thinking they will ask you purely A level standard questions because they will stretch you and make you think on the spot.
I had a mock interview at school which was absolutely no use what so ever because that was all about culture and the social aspects of Chemistry and in the interview there was nothing like that! ( I was actually pleased about this though because my mock interview was soooooo horrible and made the interview at Oxford seem so much nicer!)
So I would say concentrate on the actual subject facts to learn rather than learning cultural and social stuff, though it would be safer to do a bit of this too just in case! But I would say that those sort of questions would only be a very small part of the interview if any.

You will have to go and stay for at least 2 days in Oxford, but this is fun - I spent a lot of time in the bar and shopping!!

Take care,
Brie

PS. Don't worry if you dont get sent your invitation for interview for absolutely ages. I got sent my invitation on the Thursday to go on the sunday!!!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i didnt have any interviews for any choices, i ignored them and they sent offers anyway!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks again Brie!!!! Sorry to keep asking questions, but no1 has really told me this stuff. How long dis the interview last, and how/when do you know how many interviews you'll have. I agree though that the shopping and bars/pubs in Oxford are really nice, and you could have a very nice time up there.
Thanks again,
Phil
Leaby
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks Phil and Expression! I'm avoidng applying to universities that require a specific grade at AS and it would be a good idea to tell the admissions people that the choice of subjects was limited, which is true cos I don't know what else to take!
brie_01
Report 15 years ago
Thanks again Brie!!!! Sorry to keep asking questions, but no1 has really told me this stuff. How long dis the interview last, and how/when do you know how many interviews you'll have. I agree though that the shopping and bars/pubs in Oxford are really nice, and you could have a very nice time up there.
Thanks again,
Phil
Hello again

The interview lasts about 35-40 minutes, but it goes soooo quickly!!! It only seemed like 10 minutes to me!!

You don't actually know how many interviews you will have or when they are until you are in Oxford. Basically when you are there you have to keep going and checking the notice board outside the lodge and the interview times are stuck up there. You may have a lot more interviews than me!! You may also have to go round different colleges - i think one girl I knew how was applying for physics had 3 interviews, two at different colleges and one at hertford and also had an exam at hertford. I had it easy really!!

The worst thing about the interview process was that you werent told when you could go home until it was written up on the notice board that you were free to leave. This made it very difficult to arrange to be picked up, but my dad came down on the off chance that i'd be finished on the tuesday and if i'd had to have another interview he would've had to turn around and come back the next day!!

I hope I'm not putting you off!! I'm just being honest!
Take care,
Brie
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hiya brie, hope u don't mind if i pick your brain about a few things...
when are the interviews? what sort of questions did you get asked? how many people were there and did different interviews at different colleges ask you pretty much the same?

sorry to bambard you with questions.

lou xxx
brie_01
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by lou p lou
hiya brie, hope u don't mind if i pick your brain about a few things...
when are the interviews? what sort of questions did you get asked? how many people were there and did different interviews at different colleges ask you pretty much the same?

sorry to bambard you with questions.

lou xxx
Hi Lou

I don't mind at all! I don't know if I'm much help though!!
The interviews are all at different times throughout December. What happens is when the college receives your application they send you a leaflet which tells you the dates for particular subjects and tells you to keep those dates free. You don't find out whether you have an interview until very near the time - 3 days notice in my case!
They were very subject based questions, so totally on chemistry. But they asked weird questions which made me think very hard!! In my interview they made me write down the answers to the questions though, which totally put me off guard! So expect anything really.
Do you mean how many interviewers or how many other people being interviewed?
I cant help on your last question because I only had one interview - sorry!

What subject do you want to do?

Brie
Nylex
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Can't wait till results day.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks again Brie. Lou, I think you can find the dates of the interviews for your subject in the back of the Oxford prospectus.

Phil
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lou, you can also find the dates at:
http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/inter...imetable.shtml
Hope this helps. Have you figured out what to fill in on the forms yet? Also, where and when did you get the forms.

Phil
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
thanks phil! i've been told to just concentrate on my personal statement on my UCAS from because that's the most important bit (of paperwork). i got the application form and cover sheets for work from the careers guy at my college- they already had the college filled in on them (by a computer), so persumably the only way to get them is ask at college/school. i only got them last week- they have to be in by october 15th (don't quote me on that exact date, but it's summat like that!)
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, that date sounds familiar, but we haven't been given any forms to do yet, so that means since school starts on like september the 5th or something, I have less than a month when I get back to do the forms. Is there a lot to write/do?

Phil
Nylex
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
15th October is the deadline for Oxbridge applications.
brie_01
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, that date sounds familiar, but we haven't been given any forms to do yet, so that means since school starts on like september the 5th or something, I have less than a month when I get back to do the forms. Is there a lot to write/do?

Phil
Don't worry Phil, there isn't a lot to write really. It's only one double sided bit of A4 and most of it is your name etc!
I didn't get my forms until the middle of september last year cos my school is pants!!!
You'll be fine
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks for that, I was starting to get kinda worried. Do you remember how long the personal statement is meant to be, and what to put in it, in what form, if you understand what I mean, as our school haven't really told us anything.
Also, when did you actually send of your UCAS and oxbridge form, was it well before the 15th of October, or was it like that week?

Sorry to keep asking question.

Phil
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads