This discussion is closed.
brie_01
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry - I don't mind questions cos Im bored trying to avoid my parents who keep bugging me because I was being sick all day with a hangover!!! lol (It was my 18th yest. tho so it has to be expected!!!)

Personal statement has to fit in the box on the form - it depends how your school does the forms because mine has the electronic system where you can fill in the form on computer, but others you have to hand write it. I think the personal statement is just under a page long and it has to be in font size 12 if you are doing the computer form and in either arial or times new roman i think.
Personal statements vary so much between different people it's really hard to say what to put in! Mine basically had a paragraph about why I want to do chemistry, then a paragraph on work experience, +paragraph on the subjects I take and how I have found them + how they have helped chemistry etc. The one on personal stuff like hobbies. Try to make the personal statement interesting because you have to think about the tutors that are going to be sitting for hours on end reading through hundreds of them. Yours needs to stand out - maybe a joke or something? But when you go back to school and show it to your teacher they will make you change loads! But put your foot down if you dont like the changes cos its your statement.

My form was sent off on the 13th of October!!! It got there on the 15th - my school really is bad!!!

Take care, Brie
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Happy 18th first of all, I'm glad to hear at least somebody had a good time yesterday. What did you do for your Birthday then, other than obviously get very drunk?
I know what you mean about your school being disorganised, etc.
Is the personal statement roughly one page in size12 on MS Word then?

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Happy B'day
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL
Happy 18th first of all, I'm glad to hear at least somebody had a good time yesterday. What did you do for your Birthday then, other than obviously get very drunk?

Phil
Phil, hopefully this will help you,

From UCAS Website

10. Personal statement

This is your chance to tell the universities and colleges you have chosen why you are applying, and why they should want you as a student. Admissions officers will want to know why you are interested in your chosen subjects. A good personal statement is important - it could help to persuade an admissions officer to offer you a place.

You do not have to use all the space here, but you must not continue on extra pages. Your statement must be clear, and your writing should not be too small because we will need to copy your form and reduce it to half size during processing. If you are using a word-processor, you can use a stick-on version of the personal statement section. You can get these from your school or college or by contacting UCAS Application Requests on 0870 1122200. Please use type of 12-point or larger.

It is up to you how you write your statement but we suggest you include some or all of the following points:

Why you have chosen the courses you have listed.

What interests you about your chosen subject. Include details of what you have read about the subject.

Particular interests you have in your current studies.

Any job, work experience, placement or voluntary work you have done, particularly if it is relevant to your subject.

Details of non-accredited key (core) skills you have gained through activities such as Young Enterprise or Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Other achievements provided through the range of programmes offered by ASDAN (Award Scheme Development and Accreditation Network), such as the Universities Award and Challenge Awards.

Other achievements, such as the Liverpool Curriculum Enhancement Programme (CEP) or Diploma of Achievement.

Your future plans.

Any subjects you are studying that do not have an exam.

Any sponsorship or placements you have or have applied for.

If you are planning to take a year out, your reasons why.

Your social, sports or leisure interests.

You may want to include information from your National Record of Achievement or Progress File, if you have one.
A sample application form is available from:
http://www.ucas.com/getting/apply03/sample.pdf
(Adobe Acrobat is required).

Please note however that your school may use the "Apply" system, which allows you to apply online.

You will be charged £15 for your application regardless of what system you use

Andy
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cheers, but I was kinda hoping to get the unnofficial student version,rather than some really officious, undetailed account, so any student's experienc would be helpful

Phil
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In which case all we need to do is find some sample personal statements.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Heres a start, not a sample, but some independant advise, the Unis will know what they're looking for. Bear with me, this list will get longer - I'll keep editing..

http://www.glam.ac.uk/ucas2003/state...ource=overture

http://www.cxstaffs.co.uk/careers/hi...-statement.cfm
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
cheers m8

Phil
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some decent samples over a range of subjects, giving you an idea of the length we're talking about are

available just here
brie_01
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL

Phil
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Purpose of post ?

Unless you pressed submit by mistake ?!
brie_01
Report 16 years ago
Sorry - did actually mean to write something on that last post!!!!
I did indeed have a really good time yesterday I went out to the pub for lunch with my parents and bought my first legal drink! Then in the evening I had a bbq and party in my garden with about 30 of my friends! It was wicked - well from what I can remember anyway! lol! Today I just regretted drinking a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine to myself!!! Not good!
My personal statement was 37 lines long in size 12 in word and I didn't fill the whole space.
Good luck with your writing Phil
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sounds like you had a good night then. Thanks again for the info on the persoanl statement.

Phil
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I only used up about half the available space for mine and thought it wouldn't be enough, but I couldn't think of anything else to write.. still got offers though.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Where did you apply/get offers from?

Phil
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i got offers from exeter (x2) wawrick, cardif. I didnt bother waiting to hear from nottigham and manchester. I took up exeter
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what subject/offer?

Phil
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
mechanical engineering
exeter Meng, bbb
exeter Bend, ccc
cardiff Beng, bbc
warick Meng abb

didntt wait for notigham and manchester
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What's Beng? Whats your insurance?
Phil
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Meng is 4 year, Beng is 3year, Meng is harder, but gets u places quicker. exeter is both insureance and firm cos i really liked it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (165)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my education (174)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (104)
9.7%
Isolating with family (73)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (40)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (93)
8.68%
Loneliness (107)
9.98%
Financial worries (49)
4.57%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (98)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (77)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (92)
8.58%

Watched Threads