How to get 6-pack abs

Watch
Rosslinnane26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just wanted to see if anyone knows what the best and most effective moves/exercises for great abs are? I'm 16 and I have tried all sorts of different exercises and nothing seems to be working? If anyone know the quickest and most effective way of getting abs that would be great?
Thanks
$100Bill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eat less, drink more water.
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
plank
UHM-7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Despite what you've been lead to believe there is no abs shortcut (other than steroids). The phrase "Abs are made in the kitchen" came around because there is no special workout routine to "get" abs. You already have 6 pack abs, but they're hidden under fat, and the only way to get rid of the fat is by responsible dieting. Even if you're super skinny, you will have some fat on your stomach and that is the reason you can't see abs. You can tense and feel there is a solid muscle mass there, but you can't see anything.

Abs are overrated. Take it from me, if you want to have noticeable abs you'd have to go to the gym 3x a week to train for at least 6 months, and then you would have to slowly and tediously reduce your caloric intake until your stomach fat was gone. Then you'd have visible abs. Abs aren't just a thing that you have, to constantly have to watch your diet and count your calories down to the digit to make sure you're getting enough to maintain the current muscle, but not too much to put the fat back on, as well as having to train every week.

For a 16 year old there isn't any point. I'm guessing you want to get abs to be attractive but if you want to improve yourself, focus your efforts on building strength in the gym. Abs are for posers.
Brownclown
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UHM-7)
Despite what you've been lead to believe there is no abs shortcut (other than steroids). The phrase "Abs are made in the kitchen" came around because there is no special workout routine to "get" abs. You already have 6 pack abs, but they're hidden under fat, and the only way to get rid of the fat is by responsible dieting. Even if you're super skinny, you will have some fat on your stomach and that is the reason you can't see abs. You can tense and feel there is a solid muscle mass there, but you can't see anything.

Abs are overrated. Take it from me, if you want to have noticeable abs you'd have to go to the gym 3x a week to train for at least 6 months, and then you would have to slowly and tediously reduce your caloric intake until your stomach fat was gone. Then you'd have visible abs. Abs aren't just a thing that you have, to constantly have to watch your diet and count your calories down to the digit to make sure you're getting enough to maintain the current muscle, but not too much to put the fat back on, as well as having to train every week.

For a 16 year old there isn't any point. I'm guessing you want to get abs to be attractive but if you want to improve yourself, focus your efforts on building strength in the gym. Abs are for posers.
Life is all about posing though. We are all vanity driven and abs certainly help. I wouldn't say it's pointless op starts at 16 but they need to be made aware how much consistency and hard work they'll need to put in. Wish I had started at 16 tbh
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Work out how many calories you use in a day, eat less than that
mooomooo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started a routine back at the very beginning of january (new years resolution and all that) and kept it up until about april and whilst I didn't get manage to reach the six pack stage I got myself a very nicely toned tummy with some definition beginning to show! This builds up your strength very slowly but in a way that never feels too tough which is really nice. I got myself strong enough to plank with another person lying on top of me haha! I started out with:
Monday: 4x planks for 20 secs, 8x bicycle crunches (these are killers!) for 20 secs
Tuesday: 4x planks for 20 secs, 4x bicycle crunches for 20 secs, 3x 10 reverse crunches
Wednesday: Rest (Swim, stretch/yoga)
Thursday: 4x planks for 25 secs, 8x bicycle crunches for 25 secs
Friday: 4x planks for 25 secs, 4x bicycle crunches for 25 secs, 3x 12 reverse crunches
Saturday: Rest (Swim, stretch/yoga)
Sunday: Back exercises for balance! 4x left side plank for 20 secs, 4x right side plank for 20 secs, 3x 20 lunges (alternate your legs)

Basically you should be adding on 10 secs to each exercise over each week so on your second week you would be doing your exercises for 30 secs, then 35 secs. Third week 40 secs then 45 secs. Also adding on 4 extra reverse crunches/lunges over each week.

I kept this up until april when I got snowed under with revision but I went from no stomach muscles to being able to do 4 planks for 3 and a half minutes each! This is a very gentle way to build up your stomach muscle strength but it really suited me and you get really addicted to it haha. I never missed a session until I stopped! Make sure you are eating well and doing cardio 3 or 4 times a week so an active sport or running/jogging as you need to lose your tummy fat for your muscles to show and what's the point of having muscles if you are unfit and unhealthy!! Good luck & sorry for the long post!
Cakeyygirl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
try eating healthy for starters...
exercise wise do 30 crunches and 30sit-ups everyday once you get the hang do 5sets of each, each day aswell as that try planking and do press-ups about 50 of each
oh and remember to drink plenty of water, keep this routine going for a good solid 6 weeks and you'll have abs in no time
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
planking
crunches
ab machine
treadmill
Nicki Minaj
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
any guys with 6 packs private message me
kevUk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
join an ABA boxing club, go 3-4 times a week, eat <30g carbs a day and 1g of protein (meat) per kg of body weight. Abdominal muscle only shows when you are cut, cut means having very low body fat. You can get cut abs with any significant exercise program but diet is most of it.

Sit ups and ab exercises do not build cut abs that's bs.
robiSasukeHokage
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Listen i've tried everything to get a 6 pack,crunches for hours on hours,starving myself for some days,and even fat trimming waist bands.The onlything that truly worked were in these 3 simple videos.Video
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
just go on yt and find an ab workout or something...
that's what i do anyways, but I'm not tryna get a six pack just workout so idk... :/
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by UHM-7)

Steroids are not shortcuts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (22)
23.4%
No (72)
76.6%

Watched Threads