A change in voting system?

Watch this thread
Artur96
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Do you guys think First Past the Post will make it past the next elections? Will there be a new voting system, perhaps Alternative Vote?
Or will the Tory government keep status quo and keep out the undesirables from power?
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
There was already AV referendum - no one wanted it.

Of course the left will undoubtedly claim the reason is too much media influence and demand continuous AV referendums until they get what they want - a yes.

I think we will get Constituency-based STV by 2030, but otherwise it's FPTP only.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
Christ can you not blame absolutely everything on "the left". The Lib Dems proposed AV and in that government they were centre-right as opposed to left.
SotonianOne
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Christ can you not blame absolutely everything on "the left". The Lib Dems proposed AV and in that government they were centre-right as opposed to left.
I'm not Jesus, wrong number.

Lib Dems proposed it, but it's the left that supports it. It's like the Conservatives proposing a higher minimum wage. How you cannot see this is pretty delusional. It's not in your favour.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I can only hope and pray that we'll *one day* get PR
nobody wants AV - it makes no sense to only go that far beyond FPTP
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SotonianOne)
I'm not Jesus, wrong number.

Lib Dems proposed it, but it's the left that supports it. It's like the Conservatives proposing a higher minimum wage. How you cannot see this is pretty delusional. It's not in your favour.
With the rise in UKIP, the left will be keeping rather quiet about It.
SotonianOne
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
With the rise in UKIP, the left will be keeping rather quiet about It.
I suppose some leftists will want to prevent a voting system change until UKIP goes away ... already saw some people saying that FPTP isn't that bad if it can keep them out when supporting PR beforehand
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
We need both.

We need FPTP to provide local areas with the representation that mirrors their beliefs, but we need PR for the country so that the democratic majority has a say.

If that means reforming the Lords into a Senate-like body who's make up is changed after each election, then possibly, though I'm not sure how effective that would be.
PetrosAC
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
We need both.

We need FPTP to provide local areas with the representation that mirrors their beliefs, but we need PR for the country so that the democratic majority has a say.

If that means reforming the Lords into a Senate-like body who's make up is changed after each election, then possibly, though I'm not sure how effective that would be.
Could just use STV, which is what the Lib Dems actually wanted.

AV was a compromise no one wanted. Too little a step

Posted from TSR Mobile
A1112787
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The voting system will never be changed. There's no real appetite for it throughout the electorate or either of the main parties.

Besides, all voting systems are unfair to a certain extent. My personal opinion is that there is no fairer system than the person with the most votes in any one constituency being elected. People may wish to contort the national picture but if you have fewer votes than someone else, you have no democratic right to be elected.
saayagain
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Holding a referendum on the voting system is stupid.

The government should just change it.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SotonianOne)
There was already AV referendum - no one wanted it.
Of course the left will undoubtedly claim the reason is too much media influence and demand continuous AV referendums until they get what they want - a yes.
No there wasn't actually. The referendum was for AV - one particular voting system that is not actually a proportional representation system.

Even if AV was proportional, the referendum was for one particular system vs the one we have - it was not an endorsement of FPTP above all possible options.

You say this is a left wing issue, but UKIP is one of the parties that would have benefitted most from PR. And the fairly left wing SNP supports PR even though they would actually lose out under such a system - they got over 90% of Scottish seats for 50% of the Scottish vote.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by saayagain)
Holding a referendum on the voting system is stupid.

The government should just change it.
Why?
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I support a fairer more proportional voting system.
Obviously I don't want UKIP to have more seats but I'm not a hypocrite and if 4 million people voted for them, they should have a huge deal influence more than one MP.

I love how it's seen as a 'left issue'. Why shouldn't we have a system where votes actually matter?
If you support Labour and live in a tory safe seat or vice versa then you're vote is wasted. Simple as.
And you also get people voting for 'the party they dislike the least' rather then the party they most want to win.

Having a constituency based system also leaves the system open to jerrymandering as we are currently seeing with the boundaries even though statistically the tories required the least amount of votes to get seats in England.

You see the problem is that people are so tribal and tie themselves to a party, so they lose their principles.

I hate UKIP passionately, but it's completely ridiculous that 4 million votes equates to one seat, and just over twenty/thirty thousand votes are needed for the main two parties + SNP.
It's why I also hugely respect Sturgeon who's party would lose out under a more proportional system but still supports it.

If you believe in real democracy then you surely must believe in a more proportional system.
Even if that system gives UKIP a lot more influence.
And yes AV was rejected, but AV is not a proportional voting system.

The main problem seems to be that the people who can vote to change the system such as Labour and Tory MPS, themselves benefit hugely for it. It's basically asking them to vote themselves out a job.
Argentinababy
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
A change is necessary. The current system is a joke. It also discourages voting (I live in a Labour safeseat and people don't feel like their vote is worth anything). Also, despite the fact that many hate UKIP (as do I), how is it fair that they got millions of votes, and only 1 seat in parliament. FPTP is dead, and I'm glad as it's a corrupt system.
username878267
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A1112787)
Besides, all voting systems are unfair to a certain extent. My personal opinion is that there is no fairer system than the person with the most votes in any one constituency being elected. People may wish to contort the national picture but if you have fewer votes than someone else, you have no democratic right to be elected.
Oh look, a tory supports FPTP and then claims it's 'fair'.
Well you've made the fundamental assumption that it must be a constituency voting system.
Who says it needs to be?
Cryptographic
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Oh look, a tory supports FPTP and then claims it's 'fair'.
Well you've made the fundamental assumption that it must be a constituency voting system.
Who says it needs to be?
Because that's what the people want; someone to complain to when it goes wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
saayagain
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Why?
People don't care.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by saayagain)
People don't care.
Have you ever thought that people are actually happy with the current electoral system and don't want it changed.
username878267
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Have you ever thought that people are actually happy with the current electoral system and don't want it changed.
Yeah- supporters of conservatives and new labour who massively benefit from it. No surprise they like a system which is massively biased in favour of them.
And I support change despite the fact that ukip- a party I hate - would benefit hugely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads