PLEASE HELP!!! Kings college London or UoManchester for BA English language?

Watch
aaronymncl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Ive met all the conditions and I dont know which schools I should confirm!!! And Im an international student who will do BA English Language and linguistics!!!

1. King's College London
2. University of Manchester
3.University of York
4. Queen Mary, University of London.

I really dont know which one is better and I hope you guys can give me some advice!!!

As Im from Hong Kong, I'd like to enrol in a reputable one to enable me to be recognised by my future employers and do a master!!!
Which schools have the best outlook and strongest reputation in both the relevant discipline and overall?
And I want to study with more international students as I think if I study BA English Language with those students whose first language is English, I cant achieve a decent grade when i graduate and thus I wont be able to do a master in reputable University...

As Ive watched the complete university guide and they indicate kings and manchester at around 29 to 30 sth in UK ranking while the QS and Times rank KCL and UoManchester at 16 and 30 respectively in the world.... This really makes me confused...

I very much hope to know your point of views...
Paladian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
King's London just because it's a really good uni and it's in London - Have you tried looking at the Guardian newspaper?
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
Thanks ya!!! That means you think King's college is more reputable than Manchester? Umm I'm in a great dilemma of choosing either King's or Manchester....
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Paladian)
King's London just because it's a really good uni and it's in London - Have you tried looking at the Guardian newspaper?
I hope you're trolling, mate.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
York is very good for English. I don't know why you're ruling it out, although if you're going back to HK to get a job, maybe KCL/Manchester would stand out as the more 'prestigious' university. But for English, York looks to be the better uni if you're not taking in international grad prospects.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For those subjects, and especially linguistics, one of those universities is rather better than the others, and it is neither of KCL or Manchester.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
For those subjects, and especially linguistics, one of those universities is rather better than the others, and it is neither of KCL or Manchester.
Then which one do you think is the best one?
Harith.A
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aaronymncl)
Hi Ive met all the conditions and I dont know which schools I should confirm!!! And Im an international student who will do BA English Language and linguistics!!!1. King's College London2. University of Manchester3.University of York4. Queen Mary, University of London.I really dont know which one is better and I hope you guys can give me some advice!!!As Im from Hong Kong, I'd like to enrol in a reputable one to enable me to be recognised by my future employers and do a master!!! Which schools have the best outlook and strongest reputation in both the relevant discipline and overall?And I want to study with more international students as I think if I study BA English Language with those students whose first language is English, I cant achieve a decent grade when i graduate and thus I wont be able to do a master in reputable University...As Ive watched the complete university guide and they indicate kings and manchester at around 29 to 30 sth in UK ranking while the QS and Times rank KCL and UoManchester at 16 and 30 respectively in the world.... This really makes me confused...I very much hope to know your point of views...
Choose Kings. You'd be an idiot not to.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Harith.A)
Choose Kings. You'd be an idiot not to.
Nice explanation.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
Lol..... haha Thanks!!!!
But is it very difficult to obtain a good honour in King's? Seem quite competitive there...
Harith.A
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol..... haha Thanks!!!!But is it very difficult to obtain a good honour in King's? Seem quite competitive there...
Same calibre of students at York and Kings in my opinion.....But I'll be honest, York has a better reputation in academia for English.....But with graduate employers they prefer Kings and it's more prestigious.....So it just depends what route you want to go down.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then which one do you think is the best one?
It's York.
Ftmshk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
However they are all extremely reputable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
Yes thats why its extremely hard to choose/.....
Paladian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes York is better then either Manchester/KCL but for me living in London beats York/Manchester hands down. IMO.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
And most importantly, I want to continue to do a MA in Applied Linguistics, so which University do you think is the best place for me to pave this way.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads