Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A worker with learning difficulties who received just 29p an hour for stacking shelves has won £5,000 in compensation.

The man, who does not want to be identified, is in his 30s and moved to Britain from East Africa two years ago.

Now, it has been revealed how he was reduced to "slave labour", working for poverty wages by a boss flouting minimum wage rules.

Falcon Cash-and-Carry, of Syston Street West, Leicester, offered him 29p an hour for his first few weeks in the job.

Minimum wage officials say the unemployed man took the work because the employer said his wage would increase "once he had shown what he could do".

The shelf stacker's wage did increase to just 96p an hour. The minimum wage is supposed to be £4.50 an hour for workers aged 22 years and over.

The man worked at Falcon Cash-and-Carry for six months before he could take the long hours and low wage no longer.

He complained to the Highfields Minimum Wage Project, a Government-funded scheme set up to help low paid workers in Leicester.

The project and trade union KFAT used minimum wage legislation to take the company to an employment tribunal where it was ordered to pay £5,000 in compensation and legal costs.

Company director Ashwin Patel has paid the full amount owed.

Saw this on aol news. wot do you think?

ReputationRep:

Thats absolutely disgusting. Only £5,000!! I hope the company got fined a lot more than that.

ReputationRep:
    its disgraceful thats like getting £2.50 for a days work. £15 for a weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Sad isn't it :rolleyes:

Makes me wanna cry

ReputationRep:
    That's just one guy. Think of all the other exploited workers like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    A worker with learning difficulties who received just 29p an hour for stacking shelves has won £5,000 in compensation.

The man, who does not want to be identified, is in his 30s and moved to Britain from East Africa two years ago.

Now, it has been revealed how he was reduced to "slave labour", working for poverty wages by a boss flouting minimum wage rules.

Falcon Cash-and-Carry, of Syston Street West, Leicester, offered him 29p an hour for his first few weeks in the job.

Minimum wage officials say the unemployed man took the work because the employer said his wage would increase "once he had shown what he could do".

The shelf stacker's wage did increase to just 96p an hour. The minimum wage is supposed to be £4.50 an hour for workers aged 22 years and over.

The man worked at Falcon Cash-and-Carry for six months before he could take the long hours and low wage no longer.

He complained to the Highfields Minimum Wage Project, a Government-funded scheme set up to help low paid workers in Leicester.

The project and trade union KFAT used minimum wage legislation to take the company to an employment tribunal where it was ordered to pay £5,000 in compensation and legal costs.

Company director Ashwin Patel has paid the full amount owed.

Saw this on aol news. wot do you think?
    hope you dont think me too harsh but this possible conversation came to mind betweeen the guy in the story, call him Ishmael and a friend :

Friend: hey, hows work going
    Ishmael: not bad
    F: how much you earning?
    I: usual, 29p an hour.
    F: I see........ thats quite low you know
    I: How so?
    F: Well i get £4.70 an hour for the same work
    I: Oh
    F: Did you not feel there was something wrong when you couldnt actually afford anything?
    I: Well, it did cross my mind
    F:Well, i'd do something about that if i were you
    I: yeah

1 week later

Ishmael: GREAT NEWS!
    Friend: oh yes?
    I: I got a rise!!!
    F: excellent, how much?
    I: I'm now on 96p per hour
    F: hmmm........

I know i put it in a slightly "tight" way, but i would like to know how he survived on that, and if he never found it odd that othres got lots of money :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Most contracts of employment forbid you from discussing your pay with your colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeitgeist)
    I know i put it in a slightly "tight" way, but i would like to know how he survived on that, and if he never found it odd that othres got lots of money :confused:
    Maybe his friends only got 29p an hour, there is probably a wider problem than just one person.

but i don't know how he lived on that much

ReputationRep:
    Surely the worker would be getting negative marginal returns (I think thats it) on such a salary - ie he would be better off on JSA and other benefits, with his credits on tax, housing etc.

ReputationRep:
    it must be hard for marginalised people to find work.. and awful that they are so dreadfully exploited.as were the morcambe bay chinese workers who drowned

ReputationRep:
    That is disgusting. He is being discriminated due to his disability. Much more compensation should have been given. It makes me mad. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    it's the workers fault

what a silly ****

surely he should know that he is being payed a pittance, he could have got a similar job and be payed more, but he still stayed in the same job for a good while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious stuff)
    it's the workers fault

what a silly ****

surely he should know that he is being payed a pittance, he could have got a similar job and be payed more, but he still stayed in the same job for a good while
    How the hell is he a ****? He moved from East Africa, and I'll bet the 'measly' 29p he got at first seemed ok to him. Remember wages and stuff are MUCH lower there, and considering he was living in the UK for the first time, he might not have known what sort of wage to expect.

Also, what with his learning disability, do you think it would have been easy for him to get a job just as easily as the next unemployed person? For all we know, his employer could have led him to believe that they were "doing him a favour" by giving him a job that he would otherwise not get because of his disability.

You really should look at both sides of the picture before jumping and calling him a **** :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i cant believe people still get so exploted in this day and age

ReputationRep:
    Ah I'm guessing he didn't qualify for benefit as he has been here less than 2 years

ReputationRep:
    learning difficulties? get the tissues out!

i wonder if he was working/living legally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    learning difficulties? get the tissues out!

i wonder if he was working/living legally?
    why wouldnt he be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    why wouldnt he be?
    might have had something to do a reluctance to complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

Thats absolutely disgusting. Only £5,000!! I hope the company got fined a lot more than that.
    no, thats about the flat fine for a MW offence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    might have had something to do a reluctance to complain.
    well if he spoke another language it might of been slighly hard

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.