The Student Room Group

Applying to nursing with integrated foundation year

Hello,

I am planning on applying to study adult nursing for the September 2016 intake. I was wondering how applying for student finance would be as the NHS doesn't cover the tuition fee cost of the foundation year.

Thanks,

Fiona
Original post by Fifstar
Hello,

I am planning on applying to study adult nursing for the September 2016 intake. I was wondering how applying for student finance would be as the NHS doesn't cover the tuition fee cost of the foundation year.

Thanks,

Fiona

you d have to apply to sfe for a tuition fee loan and also for grants and maintainance loan:smile:
this will tell you what you re eligible for , for the foundation year
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
you d have to apply to sfe for a tuition fee loan and also for grants and maintainance loan:smile:
this will tell you what you re eligible for , for the foundation year
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks for the reply, I was a bit confused because I am planning on applying to kingston for the normal nursing degree as I have the UCAS points but my lowest grade is in biology so I don't know if i'll get in. So I found that UCLAN, UWE and Keele do nursing courses with a foundation year, but UCLAN was the only one that mentioned that the whole course is an eligible pre-registration health professional training course funded by the department for health the rest don't say anything about funding. So if all fails i'll apply for everything on sfe and then see what they say I am entitled to :smile:
Original post by Fifstar
Thanks for the reply, I was a bit confused because I am planning on applying to kingston for the normal nursing degree as I have the UCAS points but my lowest grade is in biology so I don't know if i'll get in. So I found that UCLAN, UWE and Keele do nursing courses with a foundation year, but UCLAN was the only one that mentioned that the whole course is an eligible pre-registration health professional training course funded by the department for health the rest don't say anything about funding. So if all fails i'll apply for everything on sfe and then see what they say I am entitled to :smile:

yeah, i am at UCLan doing nursing in september , i did a foundation degree(2 year course) instead of a foundation year. You ll get sfe funding for the foundation for sure and then you just apply for the nhs funding when you start the actual nursing degree:smile: .

I had a not so good biology a level grade but if i d have gotten a D in that and chemsitry instead of an E they would have let me on the course, considering some people apply to nursing having not gotten any sciencey stuff since gcse and get a place, i wouldn't worry too much about your biology grade.
Reply 4
I didn't know that, for my A Levels I got a B in English Language and Literature, a C in Psychology and a D in Biology but I was just 3 marks off a C which was annoying. I had originally applied to do biomedical sciences but I didn't get the grades and I had received an unconditional offer from UCLAN to study Psychology and Health Studies, I dropped Psychology after 1st year and transfered onto the second year of the health and social change degree but I didn't enjoy it as the course was mostly about health care policies and how they affect different aspects of health care provision, the tutors were all good and helpful but the course just wasn't for me and I wanted a more hands on role in the health care industry and I thought of nursing but I wasn't going to apply without experience in the industry to see if I would enjoy it. So I withdrew and I have been working as an HCA providing care to individuals who would prefer to stay in their homes as opposed to a nursing home and I enjoy the job, so I thought why not apply.
Original post by Fifstar
I didn't know that, for my A Levels I got a B in English Language and Literature, a C in Psychology and a D in Biology but I was just 3 marks off a C which was annoying. I had originally applied to do biomedical sciences but I didn't get the grades and I had received an unconditional offer from UCLAN to study Psychology and Health Studies, I dropped Psychology after 1st year and transfered onto the second year of the health and social change degree but I didn't enjoy it as the course was mostly about health care policies and how they affect different aspects of health care provision, the tutors were all good and helpful but the course just wasn't for me and I wanted a more hands on role in the health care industry and I thought of nursing but I wasn't going to apply without experience in the industry to see if I would enjoy it. So I withdrew and I have been working as an HCA providing care to individuals who would prefer to stay in their homes as opposed to a nursing home and I enjoy the job, so I thought why not apply.

BCD is exactly what you need for UCLan nursing without doing foundation entry, in fact quite a lot of unis would accept you with those a level grades:smile: did you pass the psychology and health studies year, if so theres no way you d really need to do a foundation entry year as many unis would see having those a level grades and a level 4 on top as plenty of academic qualifcations so need need to do foundation entry anywhere:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
BCD is exactly what you need for UCLan nursing without doing foundation entry, in fact quite a lot of unis would accept you with those a level grades:smile: did you pass the psychology and health studies year, if so theres no way you d really need to do a foundation entry year as many unis would see having those a level grades and a level 4 on top as plenty of academic qualifcations so need need to do foundation entry anywhere:smile:

I passed the first year and got a certificate of higher education when I left. The entry requirements for nursing at UCLan are 260 ucas points, I only have 240. Most unis I've looked at the entry requirements range from 260 to 300 points. So doing a foundation year is the only way I can do nursing without having to do an access course or an A Level. But if I am invited to any interviews I'll ask if I can apply for the standard course and the likelihood of me securing a place.
Original post by Fifstar
I passed the first year and got a certificate of higher education when I left. The entry requirements for nursing at UCLan are 260 ucas points, I only have 240. Most unis I've looked at the entry requirements range from 260 to 300 points. So doing a foundation year is the only way I can do nursing without having to do an access course or an A Level. But if I am invited to any interviews I'll ask if I can apply for the standard course and the likelihood of me securing a place.

since you have a pass in it, the certificate of higher education , overides/adds to your ucas points so they d accept that in your application on top of your a levels.

i have 180 ucas points but by having a level 4 course they accepted that for entry so you can email admissions at unis and ask how they ll consider your application taking into account your level 4 but as you re only 20 points off i have no doubt that by having the certhe they ll accept you, i certainly know uclan would (jmu, edge hill and salford all also accept certhe s too).

Also ones the ones that i know take 240 points alone include:
Anglia ruskin
Bedfordshire
Bradford (280 but accepts as points if you have an as)
Cumbria
Glasgow caledonian
Hertfordshire ( 260 but if you ve an E in an as they d accept that)
Kingston
Northumbria ( 280 but again if you ve a D at as they would accept you)
Robert Gordon
Teeside

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 8
Hello,

Thanks so much, I forgot that I had an AS and another FSMQ (Free Standing Mathematics Qualification Certificate) from when I did my A Levels. This takes up my UCAS points to 273. I am glad I can apply for the 3 year course instead and I found my transcripts so I can enter the credits for the modules that I did and grades which I got from my previous degree. This also sorts out the whole student finance issue :smile::banana2:
Original post by Fifstar
Hello,

Thanks so much, I forgot that I had an AS and another FSMQ (Free Standing Mathematics Qualification Certificate) from when I did my A Levels. This takes up my UCAS points to 273. I am glad I can apply for the 3 year course instead and I found my transcripts so I can enter the credits for the modules that I did and grades which I got from my previous degree. This also sorts out the whole student finance issue :smile::banana2:

no problem, glad to have helped:smile: best of luck with your application:smile:
Reply 10
no problem, glad to have helped:smile: best of luck with your application:smile:

All I need to do now is sort out my personal statement, starting is hard though. I don't want to sound really cliché, but it will be easy once I sort out the introduction. :smile:
Original post by Fifstar
All I need to do now is sort out my personal statement, starting is hard though. I don't want to sound really cliché, but it will be easy once I sort out the introduction. :smile:

theres a few examples here that might help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16009-nursing-personal-statements
Just remember to talk about why nursing, what experience you have and how its relevant to a nursing degree, why that particular branch, how your current studies will help in a nursing degree and make it clear you know what the role of a nurse is.
Oh and promise not to start with the cliched, ive always wanted to be a nurse starting sentence if you can :P
(edited 8 years ago)
oh and if you can put in some current issues in the nhs, maybe the francis report and anyother relevant policies you know of to:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending