The Student Room Group

Family and Friends' influence on Relationships!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mancini
You contradict yourself in your last paragraph really confusing , you probably don't think there is a contradiction but there really is. You either change your mind because of your mother's approval or you do not, you can't have it both ways. For me it would depend entirely on why my family disliked my partner for the most part I don't think they would interfere in my relationships though.

Ha I wrote it really quickly so I probably did! What I meant is I don't consciously change my mind but I probably do.
My friends influence my relationships a lot because they're very protective and want me to be happy. I normally ask them for advice/their opinion but sometimes they are quite patronising with it so...
I'm away at uni 10 out of 12 months a year so my family don't influence it much.. But if a guy insulted my family they'd be out the door. My family is important to me so if they didn't think someone was right for me I'd take that onboard

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think my family definitely influence me in a positive way - they love my boyfriend (my younger brother even said he sees him as the brother he never had) and that makes me really happy and secure :smile:

That said, I think if my family didn't like my boyfriend they would have less influence on how I felt. Perhaps if my mother disagreed with him I might be influenced even if only subconsciously, but as my father had a strict Indian conservative upbringing he has very high standards for boys I date (the first questions he asked when I started dating my boyfriend were his age, A Level subjects and future plans) and so I'd likely reject his opinions as being just how he is. I mean, he accepts my boyfriend and even quite likes him, but he's very against us even hugging near him which is a reflection of his different values about what relationships are.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hey everyone!

I thought of something we could all have a wee chat about!

Do you feel that your friends and family and approval affects your relationship. Looking back at a past relationship of mine. I feel that it definitely does. I went out with this boy who my friends really didn't like. They were never mean or anything but they made it clear they though he was a bit strange. I didn't particularly care and continued to go out with him. A few months later we broke up. However looking back now that I'm a bit older and wiser and I can see that they must have had a huge effect on me. Things I would have brushed off and not thought much of it became more of an issue as my friends were telling me I shouldn't be treated like that etc.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Also you family life, do you feel this affects your relationship. I'm very very close to my mum and I know if she didn't like a boy I would have some serious considerations on whether or not I should be dating him. Not because she didn't approve but I would have to ask myself what was putting my mum off him.

Again do people agree disagree here?

sources if interested

I agree. My parents were both very vocal about my relationship choices and my father would usually want to meet the guy in advance to have a one to one. But if my parents did disapprove then I would not take it further with any man no matter how much I liked them. Family come first over men.
I told my brother in confidentiality about my first relationship, who then blabbed to mum, who made me break up with them.
My second relationship lasted 2 months until my partner couldn't deal with the long distance.
My third relationship I ended after 3 days as he kept sending me nudes, videos of him jacking off, and wanted to meet up so we could have sex.

Families do have a massive effect. As I had to keep 2 + 3 secret
Parents have only ever met those I briefly sought a future with. Can't see why they'd ever have a problem with anybody given how judgmental I am (I.e. Anybody I saw a future with would have to be of a pretty good standard).

Friends have met various flings and a girlfriend and never said anything really. As a man though I doubt guy friends will be as bitchy as women since they value social status ECT.. Much more (I.e. Men don't care if a girls a bit quirky, women value social status and conformity to a higher degree).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending