Working as a doctor in developing countries, wilderness medicine, rural posts etc

Watch
BD7391
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am soon to begin a GEM course at Swansea, who offer a rural programme which allows you to spend more (but not all, of course) time in rural areas, potentially arming you to work in these rural areas. In the context of Wales, we're talking about small towns and villages where there are few family doctors etc and therefore you get to see everybody who comes through the door.

I'm not interested in becoming a rural doctor in the UK. On the contrary, when it comes to settling down with children in the (far) future, my partner and I would plan to live in or on the outskirts of a city. That still leaves fair room for manoeuvre though; particularly after FYs.

I would like to work in rural and developing countries, hopefully for several years, possibly between FY and CT years, and possibly again in the future. I am in no rush to become a consultant in the NHS, but do see it as a possible career goal. Do you have any knowledge of the advantages / disadvantages / challenges faced / hoops jumped through etc of a doctor with these goals? Also, do you think participating in a rural programme such as that at Swansea could prove advantageous?

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads