The Student Room Group

Have I got IBS?

I've noticed I go quite a lot recently. It's probably due to the fact that I'm nervous about work but even when I don't have work, I'll 'empty my bowels' 3-5 times before 10am. Its not diarrhea but it isn't exactly completely solid either. Really sorry if tmi.

Things that make me have to go is if I've ate my cereal and especially if I've drank coffee. Is it possible that I need to cut back on the fibre?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I've noticed I go quite a lot recently. It's probably due to the fact that I'm nervous about work but even when I don't have work, I'll 'empty my bowels' 3-5 times before 10am. Its not diarrhea but it isn't exactly completely solid either. Really sorry if tmi.

Things that make me have to go is if I've ate my cereal and especially if I've drank coffee. Is it possible that I need to cut back on the fibre?

Thanks

To be considered having IBS, you need to be having symptoms at least three times a month for at least 6 months. As this has only started happening recently you can't tell yet, I think. It might just be a temporary thing. If these symptoms persist it's best to go to your GP because IBS is usually diagnosed when other things (celiac, IBD, intolerances) are ruled out, and it's important these things are ruled out.
You do seem to be describing classic symptoms though, as there's a strong connection between stress and IBS, caffeine is also a problem substance for IBS sufferers. Perhaps try decaffeinated coffee first and see how you get on?
Forgot to mention, eating stimulates the gastrocolic reflex, which is why you find the need to go to the toilet occurs after having your cereal. You can try not having a warm drink at the same time you eat your cereal, regardless of whether it has caffeine, and if you can eat a smaller portion of cereal?
These links are useful, have a read through:
http://ibs.about.com/od/glossary/g/gastrocolic.htm
http://teeccino.com/images/uploads/pages/File/colon.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by pineneedles
To be considered having IBS, you need to be having symptoms at least three times a month for at least 6 months. As this has only started happening recently you can't tell yet, I think. It might just be a temporary thing. If these symptoms persist it's best to go to your GP because IBS is usually diagnosed when other things (celiac, IBD, intolerances) are ruled out, and it's important these things are ruled out.
You do seem to be describing classic symptoms though, as there's a strong connection between stress and IBS, caffeine is also a problem substance for IBS sufferers. Perhaps try decaffeinated coffee first and see how you get on?
Forgot to mention, eating stimulates the gastrocolic reflex, which is why you find the need to go to the toilet occurs after having your cereal. You can try not having a warm drink at the same time you eat your cereal, regardless of whether it has caffeine, and if you can eat a smaller portion of cereal?

Because of work I have a large bowl of bran. I find it keeps me going until my shift is over. Sometimes I don't have to eat to experience this. It's always in the morning though.

Thanks

It might be lactose intolerance if the cereal and coffee contain milk.
Because of work I have a large bowl of bran. I find it keeps me going until my shift is over. Sometimes I don't have to eat to experience this. It's always in the morning though.

The other poster suggested lactose intolerance, does that sound like a possibility?
Have you always eaten that for breakfast, or is it a recent change?
You said you don't have to eat to experience this, on these days what seems to trigger it?

This is wrong.

OP - Doctors often push IBS on patients when they cannot explain the issues you are having, and I know this from first hand experience. You need to go to your GP, explain your symptoms, and ask for a colonoscopy. It's not exactly pleasant but you need to be sure there isn't something else going on down there such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease or Colitis, mainly).

All the best.

Thanks

Hi,

Just to add to my other post - but my direct to you - a change in bowel habits is one very obscure symptom. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to it being a huge medical problem or a condition like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. What I advise you doing is just monitoring your intake and your symptoms over a few weeks and then go to the doctor if you have concerns.

The main symptom of issues such as IBS is really pain. Just monitor and go to your GP if you feel concerned. If your bowel habits have changed, try and spot a cause. If you cannot, go to the GP and just ask their advice - that's what they are there for.

All the best, pal.

Edit: as Ryan said - stress can really exasperate things and cause problems to occur but all I'd say with that is it doesn't mean you just need to destress and then the issue is resolved - stress can CAUSE problems so, don't shrug it off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
This is wrong.

OP - Doctors often push IBS on patients when they cannot explain the issues you are having, and I know this from first hand experience. You need to go to your GP, explain your symptoms, and ask for a colonoscopy. It's not exactly pleasant but you need to be sure there isn't something else going on down there such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease or Colitis, mainly).

All the best.

Why is that wrong? Symptoms like that need to be persistent to show there's any real problem. OP implies that it is a recent thing.

Thanks

It could be IBS, yes. The best thing to do would be to go to your doc who will probably request a blood test to help eliminate more serious causes such as IBD. This will more than likely come back clear, meaning they'll give you some medication to slow stuff down (loperamide hydrochloride). If your problems persist or worsen after the IBS treatment, then make sure you go back to your doc for further investigation. Try to not stress about it too - from personal experience I know that can make things a whole lot worse!
Why is that wrong? Symptoms like that need to be persistent to show there's any real problem. OP implies that it is a recent thing.

The bit I highlighted specifically, is incorrect. I agree with what I have just put in bold on this post. I simply disagree that you need to have it for 6 months, blah blah blah, like completely disagree.
Original post by ivybridge
The bit I highlighted specifically, is incorrect. I agree with what I have just put in bold on this post. I simply disagree that you need to have it for 6 months, blah blah blah, like completely disagree.

Sorry, yeah, I realise you meant just that part. I understand that you disagree with those specific criteria, considering how much sufferers' symptoms can vary.
The other poster suggested lactose intolerance, does that sound like a possibility?
Have you always eaten that for breakfast, or is it a recent change?
You said you don't have to eat to experience this, on these days what seems to trigger it?

I really doubt I'm lactose intolerant, unless it has suddenly just come on. I get it more often when I have cereal for breakfast, but it doesn't matter what cereal... Bran, Shredded Wheat, I get it still. It's less sudden if I have something like poached eggs.

Sometimes a glass of water can trigger it. I must stress it isn't every day. Like not this morning, but for the past few days it has been like this.
I really doubt I'm lactose intolerant, unless it has suddenly just come on. I get it more often when I have cereal for breakfast, but it doesn't matter what cereal... Bran, Shredded Wheat, I get it still. It's less sudden if I have something like poached eggs.

Sometimes a glass of water can trigger it. I must stress it isn't every day. Like not this morning, but for the past few days it has been like this.

How long exactly has this been a problem for you?

The gut is a really complicated part of the body and sometimes you can get a storm of symptoms when nothing is wrong and sometimes you can only get a few one something major is wrong. It's confusing.

I suggest, as I did before, you just monitor for a couple of weeks and then go to the GP. This is because the GP can then assess your symptoms fully and send you for a colonoscopy if they feel it is necessary to do so. After that, as part of your follow-up, it is likely you will go on to see a dietician unless bloods and the colonoscopy show something which makes their involvement kind of unnecessary. They will then be able to assess your diet and help you find triggers.

No body on here, even those with experience such as myself and ryanroks1, can really tell you what to do about this because it isn't that straightforward. Everyone is different. Sometimes people with illnesses such as Crohn's Disease, never expel blood when they go to the bathroom but somebody without Crohn's does and the cause isn't clear. That's one example. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a complicated condition and if you feel there's something really wrong, push your doctors because a lot of the time they don't listen and shrug many cases of something bigger than IBS, off as IBS.

Just go to your GP after a week or so and see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest