Migraine aura

Watch
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I suffer from migraines, maybe a few a year. I usually never get any kind of aura before them.Today I woke up with a headache, felt just like a tension headache as it was all over my head and I have been stressed lately. Its also been very hot here lately too. The headache mostly went away though.About 2 hours ago, I was in the car (as a passenger) and I noticed a dark dot in my vision. I thought it was just from looking at something reflective and it was a sun spot but then I noticed it got bigger and I couldn't read half of reg plates or signs and then flashing lights and zig zags appeared. They took over my whole vision. It lasted about 15/20 mins.

I was absolutely terrified. I managed to get an emergency GP appointment and he checked my eyes and BP and all is well. He said it was a classic migraine aura and he gets the exact same.It scared the crap out of me. I still don't feel right. My vision is back to normal but I feel on edge now. Still have no headache really but feel sick.

Do you guys ever have an aura like this? Did it scare the crap out of you too?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I used to get this. And yes, it did scare the crap out of me every single time.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I get them from time to time. It doesn't bother me that much now but it did freak me out the first couple of times.
Rum Ham
Rep:
I'm terrified of it happening again tonight. I know I'll get it again at some point in my life, I'm just scared in case it happens again tonight. Its really knocked the stuffing out of me
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yep I've been having this since about a year ago ever now and then. It is really scary.
Rum Ham
Rep:
Yeah its very scary. I had a full blown panic attack during it as well so I am absolutely drained now
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I found that ocne I "got used" to it, it wasn't as scary. I remember the first time it happened, I went home, went upstairs to bed, just alid there and cried my eyes out. The pain was so unbareable.

I eventually (after 3 years) appeared to have grown out of them.
Rum Ham
Rep:
Kinda surprised I've had no pain since the aura. I've had a tight neck but that's it. The doc did tell me that might happen though. Apparently its common to just get the aura and then no headache

Posted from TSR Mobile
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
Kinda surprised I've had no pain since the aura. I've had a tight neck but that's it. The doc did tell me that might happen though. Apparently its common to just get the aura and then no headache

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get pain after I get one. Sometimes I get a bit of a tension headache before/during but that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Rep:
I managed to get out for a little bit earlier. This may sound silly but I was absolutely dreading going out as my aura started when I was out yesterday and as you know I suffer from panic attacks and just like after having your first panic attack or first really bad one, you get scared to do what you were doing when it happen, e.g go outside. I panicked the entire time. Managed to get a chippy though and just wolved it down. Had nausea for most of the day and all throughout yesterday so it feels good to get a big meal in my stomach now.Still no pain really other than a tension like pain every so often. The headache I woke up to yesterday morning a few hours before the aura was a lot worse.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I get silent migraines - aura only - a few times a month at the moment. Had the headache as well maybe twice, once very mildly and the second time quite bad but only for 20 minutes. The aura lasts for 20 minutes or so, but I'm wondering if I'm getting smell auras as well as visual ones now, because over the last few weeks I've had weird "what is that smell?!" moments when nobody else can smell anything. No headaches for those.
Aura is terrifying and also really hard to explain to anyone else why it's a problem! I have to stop driving if I have mine, can't read/write, can't really do much at all. And yet all I can say to people is "it's like there's a kaleidoscope in my right eye".
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
I get migraines with aura (and not that bad a headache, actually, compared to what I usually get) when I am just a tiny bit (hypotonically) dehydrated/overheated. Try and drink a bottle of isotonic sportsdrink when it is this warm and you sweat a lot. That helped a lot for me.
Rum Ham
Rep:
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm hoping I will be a bit calmer next time I get one. Hoping that won't be for a long time though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
*** are you feeling now?

Obviously, I can't speak for you; but no matter how many migraines I had, it was difficult to remain calm. Partly because of how painful they really are, (contrary to what people think, they aren't "just a headache") and because of how sick the auras make me feel.
Rum Ham
Rep:
(Original post by OU Student)
*** are you feeling now?

Obviously, I can't speak for you; but no matter how many migraines I had, it was difficult to remain calm. Partly because of how painful they really are, (contrary to what people think, they aren't "just a headache") and because of how sick the auras make me feel.
I'm OK though I am very panicky. I had an awful headache before the aura that didn't respond to painkillers and then after the aura, I just had a tension like headache on and off here and there. I've had a dodgy stomach and nausea since the aura. Worst of all though has been that my panic attacks have been through the roof since the aura because it really terrified me and I just haven't felt right since

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Rep:
Any time I get a black dot in my vision now I'm terrified in case its another aura again

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1763965
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I suffer from migraines, maybe a few a year. I usually never get any kind of aura before them.Today I woke up with a headache, felt just like a tension headache as it was all over my head and I have been stressed lately. Its also been very hot here lately too. The headache mostly went away though.About 2 hours ago, I was in the car (as a passenger) and I noticed a dark dot in my vision. I thought it was just from looking at something reflective and it was a sun spot but then I noticed it got bigger and I couldn't read half of reg plates or signs and then flashing lights and zig zags appeared. They took over my whole vision. It lasted about 15/20 mins.

I was absolutely terrified. I managed to get an emergency GP appointment and he checked my eyes and BP and all is well. He said it was a classic migraine aura and he gets the exact same.It scared the crap out of me. I still don't feel right. My vision is back to normal but I feel on edge now. Still have no headache really but feel sick.

I see stars and light flashes in all my vision field minutes before migraine. But mine only last seconds.
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Had one when I was driving once, scared the crap outta me :eeek: Obviously pulled over ASAP and waited for it to pass, luckily I was in a queue of traffic as it happened so I was hardly moving anyway.
CeeDixon
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

I suffer with migraines, maybe a few a month so you're lucky to only have a few a year!!! The vision thing is common. Migraines seem to affect your whole body, I always feel sick too! I don't get the vision problem, I just get an awful pain in my temple on my left side, which eventually moves to my eye and makes me want to sleep for ages. They're not nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Any time I get a black dot in my vision now I'm terrified in case its another aura again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you had your eyes tested recently?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (64)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (134)
25.82%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.29%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (251)
48.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.47%

Watched Threads