Interested in marketing as a career - where do I start?

Watch
heshop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm starting an English degree in September and I've been doing some research on what I want to do after uni. Marketing seems like a good fit for me but I know very little about it other than what I did during my GCSE Business Studies course and a few articles I've been reading online. What kind of resources should I be looking at?

Obviously I need experience but I'm not sure how to go about getting it. Should I just email out my CV and a cover letter to some companies asking if I can do some work experience? Considering that I know relatively little about marketing, would it be better if I tried to do some research first?

Thanks!
jal901
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To start you could apply to be a student brand ambassador - promoting a company around your uni. Its not going to give you full on marketing experience but it is a good place to start, there are many different companies (I worked with STA Travel myself) and you can fit the work around your studies. Campusgroup are a good company for a job like this.
https://careers-oncampuspromotions.i...&jun1offset=60
http://www.e4s.co.uk/jobs/1-student-...sador-jobs.htm

Also there is a lot of different areas of marketing out there so do a bit of research. Look at vacation schemes, placements and internships as well. Hope this helps!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also have a look at the CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing) site:

http://www.cim.co.uk/insight/tools-a...tin2marketing/

Having a good English degree is a good start.
Milkround Student & Graduate Careers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya,

Good to see that you're doing your research and exploring career options, relevant to your interests,

Marketing is such a broad field, one that I personally find very enjoyable. I'd recommend that if you're keen on exploring this sector more, to go for as much experience in as many different marketing roles you can. Of course, don't overwhelm yourself!

I'm sure your uni offer marketing experience to promote their partner brands, or as earlier suggested, brand ambassador roles. This might be a good starting point, and will help you settling into uni too! Other than that, I'd recommend applying for internships and work experience. Employers love to see that you're passionate and from what you have mentioned above, I can definitely see that you're keen on this.

At Milkround, we offer advice on career options, the different sectors you can go down, and testimonials to help illustrate working in particular roles. We are also recruiting for brand ambassadors, so if this is something you're keen on, definitely give it a go!

If there's anything else I can help with, please feel free to DM, otherwise good luck!
Vindobona
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do some research, so you can narrow down in which specific field of Marketing you want to work. Marketing is very broad...

- Do you want to work at an advertising agency, which would be the more creative side? For sure very interesting, but it can be very stressful due to deadlines, pressure and high expectations from clients.
- Or do you see yourself more on the business/strategic side of Marketing? Examples include working as a brand manager for a corporation (e.g. consumer goods). In this case, you will mostly 'outsource' the creative process to agencies and spend a substantial amount of time on analysis, monitoring, and preparing PowerPoint presentations. Trust me, I've worked in FMCG marketing for almost 3 years. I'm not saying it's boring, it just has nothing to do with creativity.
- And then there are specific roles related to Online Marketing (Search Engine Marketing, Content Marketing & Blogging, Social Media Marketing...).
2 Love Group
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi All,

I am looking on behalf of a client for a Brand Manager. The position is based in Handforth which is 20 minutes form Manchester and is with working in the Gambling domain. My client prefers graduates who have finished their studies either this year or last and received a minimum as a 2:1

If you are interested in hearing more, feel free to call the office on 01924 669045

2 Love Group.
Guybrush Sheepgood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by heshop)
I'm starting an English degree in September and I've been doing some research on what I want to do after uni. Marketing seems like a good fit for me but I know very little about it other than what I did during my GCSE Business Studies course and a few articles I've been reading online. What kind of resources should I be looking at?

Obviously I need experience but I'm not sure how to go about getting it. Should I just email out my CV and a cover letter to some companies asking if I can do some work experience? Considering that I know relatively little about marketing, would it be better if I tried to do some research first?

Thanks!
If you're interested in the idea of online marketing, start a blog about something that interests you (make sure it's something that REALLY interests you). Post on it once a week. Work on the design. Try to monetise it. Start up some social networks around it. Learn Google Analytics. Learn basic HTML and CSS (use Codeacademy). Learn some photography / editing skills. Learn about SEO. This is all stuff you can do from the comfort of your bedroom but will look GREAT on your CV.
Chamchu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Getting into marketing is more difficult without a business degree (in my opinion) due to the abundance of people with business degrees. Unfortunately, a marketing degree is becoming the norm, so you will have to tick as many boxes as possible to be considered employable over a marketing graduate. Here are some of my tips:

What I have learnt is that "marketing knowledge/experience" isn't necessarily what will make your CV stand out. It's easier to gain core business skills, or even general transferable skills, to put you on top of the pile for employers. Skills such as leadership (most important), time/people management, communication and even excel skills are just as important, if not more, for getting a graduate/placement in marketing.

Work experience is by far the most important, and will look great on your CV. I did a range of "marketing assistant" jobs, which were unpaid and I did basic marketing stuff for small businesses once a week for around 4 hours. As I got better, I did basic marketing consultancy for small local businesses, performing a basic marketing audit and writing a small strategy for their marketing activity (often just a social media plan). Realistically, its not that difficult, however you don't usually get paid and can be quite boring, but its something you can big up in interviews and on your CV. If you have experience "dealing with clients", not just customers, agencies will love it.

Networking is also a good idea. Being at university gives you a platform to get to know LOADS of people, get chummy with the business facalty. Just get to know as many people and faculty as possible. It can be a sneeky way into marketing, just by knowing the right people. I did a summer internship with VW just because I knew a friend of a friend. Market yourself. I made a cheeky website, matthewgalvin.info , and use that as a platform to network by tracking website visits and QR code tagging. I can make you on if you want or you can make your own (for like £5). But thats not really important, could be kinda lame too I dunno. anyway!

On the subject of networking, your gunna want a mad linkdin profile. Set one up, join a shed load of groups, follow a load of people, fill it in until its "all star" status, add all your family, your friends, your old neighbors, add your mums hairdresser, everyone you possibly can. Constantly update it, have it as your signature on your email. Make it your new facebook. Read a lot of the articles to get to know how thins work a bit better, comment on stuff, look for jobs. Its a great platform for all things business.

For more academic opportunities, look into studying with the chartered institute of marketing (CIM). I got the foundation certificate in my first year and it was relatively easy. They also do digital marketing. As for the range of marketing jobs, it depends what you want to go into. They have now also started doing "short awards" for like £130 and take 3 months. I would defo look into doing them. I got the foundation certificate in my first year and it was relatively easy for £240 (i think). I would recommend the **** out of that if your not doing a marketing degree. Try and do the professional certificate, if not the foundation certificate. You will learn loads, and will show you are a qualified marketer. also good talking point in interviews.

I get the impression the marketing spectrum has "strategic, logical" based jobs at one end (analysis, strategy, research positions), and more "creative" jobs (Marcoms, advertising, internal coms) at the other. So depending on what you want to do, I would ensure you have competencies in that area, even if its as simple as "active chess player" or "a fan of illustration". This will help in your confidence in interviews, as you can draw upon examples as to why you are competent at certain skills.

My secrete for boosting your cv is to start a small enterprise, even if its not profitable, as it gives you another great talking point in interviews. If you can apply your hobby to it, it means it will make talking about it much easier. Mine was brewing and selling craft cider, to give you an idea.

Furthermore, look into anything that just makes you look like a keen bean: write a blog, learn a language, do some volunteering, charity work, ect ect. You can always mould these activities to the business your applying for. To be a keen marketing bean: write a marketing blog. I have just kinda started doing that. its mostly on student guides but i also give opinions on business, economics, politics, social stuff, religion, anything really. doesnt really matter, but it shows you have good communication skills, keen, understand marketing ect ect.

If you want to get into marketing without a marketing degree. brain storm ideas of things you can offer that marketing students cant, or why your better then them, why you should be considered. In an interview I told them I got **** A levels because I hated school and my life was a mess, then turned it around at uni, and they ate that **** up (bit of acting was involved to reflect passion). There will be looking for enthusiasm.

Some other random ideas: Every business job uses excel. becoming competent in excel and tell them that, even whack it on your CV. Excel is everything. I believe Microsoft offer qualifications in it, I dont know a lot about but maybe give it a google. Do some google analytical courses, or generally anything that beefs up your CV to make you more marketing inclined.

Another Idea could be to do some freelance marketing work. Go on freelancer.com, or 5 squid, and see if you have any services you can offer to people (just see what other people do). Try and do atleast one thing for someone, then you can claim you work free lance in an interview (sort of). Freelance offer courses too i think.

more random things: have a youtube channel so you can big up how many subscribes you have or facebook likes, as understand social media, content marketing, viral marketing ect could be important for wut ever marketing role you apply for.

Just think about the core competencies of marketing (here are some of mine in my opinion):
  1. leadership:
    1. interpersonal skills
    2. delegation
    3. approachable
    4. listening
    5. inspire
    6. empathy
  2. Team working
  3. Communication
  4. organisation
    1. Time management
    2. Prioritisation
    3. under pressure
  5. problem solving
    1. innovative
  6. IT literate
    1. Microsoft
    2. Excel
  7. Personal
    1. self motivated
    2. enthusiastic
    3. adaptability
    4. creative
    5. sense of humor
    6. confident
    7. optimistic
Use some these as a guide, and approach interviews with examples of how you have demonstrated them. Higher level interviews (final stage interviews/assessment centers will expect you to be able to do that (in my opinion)

I hope any of this helps, sorry for the spelling I'm horribly dyslexic lol. Let me know what you decide to do. If you wanna chat about anything just message me on here, or email me from my website. Im not an expert, just a placement student. Good luck man.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chamchu)
Getting into marketing is more difficult without a business degree (in my opinion) due to the abundance of people with business degrees. Unfortunately, a marketing degree is becoming the norm, so you will have to tick as many boxes as possible to be considered employable over a marketing graduate.
You definitely do NOT need a "business degree" to get into marketing.

Far better to have a degree in something you are interested in, and then if marketing becomes your chosen career, do a marketing diploma whilst you are working. Often your employer will sponsor part or all of the costs.

e.g. http://www.cim.co.uk/learning/qualifications/
Guybrush Sheepgood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
You definitely do NOT need a "business degree" to get into marketing.

Far better to have a degree in something you are interested in, and then if marketing becomes your chosen career, do a marketing diploma whilst you are working. Often your employer will sponsor part or all of the costs.

e.g. http://www.cim.co.uk/learning/qualifications/
I am just commenting again to say the exact same thing - you do not need a business degree to work in marketing and even saying that it gives you an advantage is questionable. I'm not sure why Chamchu is giving people this advice.
Chamchu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I totally disagree. Everyone and their mum has a business degree. Why would an employer choose someone without one? Of course its not impossible to get into one without one, but as a graduate, entering a marketing graduate role, which WILL be mad competitive, your CV wont be on the top of the pile without a Marketing degree. I know it sucks, but that's why I suggested some other stuff to do. I have had jobs to hire marketing students and its literally what I have been told.

From what ive read, outside of graduate jobs, 50% of employers ask for a degree of any kind, but 21% specified it should be in marketing. Thats 21% of jobs off the table.

All im saying, you dont NEED to have a business degree for graduate employment, but you will have to work harder to show your marketing orientated. I am 100% confident this is true. I work with 54 other students at the moment in a range of positions, and Im yet to find anyone whos degree differs from their job role. The job market is saturated with young people with degrees, so employers can afford to just ask for certain degrees. When applying for placements, i would say only a quarter asked for any type of degree. BUT, do extra stuff and it should be fine. Of course it gives you an advantage Guybrush sheepgood are you for real?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chamchu)
Well I totally disagree. Everyone and their mum has a business degree. Why would an employer choose someone without one? Of course its not impossible to get into one without one, but as a graduate, entering a marketing graduate role, which WILL be mad competitive, your CV wont be on the top of the pile without a Marketing degree. I know it sucks, but that's why I suggested some other stuff to do. I have had jobs to hire marketing students and its literally what I have been told.

From what ive read, outside of graduate jobs, 50% of employers ask for a degree of any kind, but 21% specified it should be in marketing. Thats 21% of jobs off the table.

All im saying, you dont NEED to have a business degree for graduate employment, but you will have to work harder to show your marketing orientated. I am 100% confident this is true. I work with 54 other students at the moment in a range of positions, and Im yet to find anyone whos degree differs from their job role. The job market is saturated with young people with degrees, so employers can afford to just ask for certain degrees. When applying for placements, i would say only a quarter asked for any type of degree. BUT, do extra stuff and it should be fine. Of course it gives you an advantage Guybrush sheepgood are you for real?
I was a senior manager at a London-based marketing agency responsible for digital media. Few of my hires (grads or more experienced staff) have business degrees. The main thing I was looking for (qualifications-wise) was A-level Maths due to the nature of much of our dept. work. But Humanities degrees or Science degrees were absolutely fine.

Many of them undertook CIM whilst working for me. I.e. the diploma.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ReggaeRich
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks!
Aim to get a junior 'product manager' role. That's a fabulous starting point in marketing.
Chamchu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the past yes, a degree showed you were intelligent and that were generally competent. But currently, and the way things are heading, is that relevant degrees will take precedence over those without it. It was only last year I applied for around 45 marketing placement positions, and almost all of them asked for a business related degree or a related degree. Your forgetting that 50% of young people go into higher education, and the most popular one is business studies. Employers WILL and ARE putting a bench mark down for applications to have a relevant degree, because of the abundance of graduates with degrees, and the decline in the graduate jobs available. Yes everything else is important: experience, extra curriculum ect ect, your CV wont make the cut if you don't have the right number of UCAS points, correct GCSEs/Alevels, a 2:1 or higher, and now, a relevant degree.

On a small scale with smaller companies, im sure it will be fine. But applying for bigger businesses, they will filter applicants in the initial stage, and relevant degree is now becoming an important filter. Yes you could study CIM and i recommend it 100% without a relevant degree. but CIM =/= marketing degree, when applying for highly competitive graduate roles. You got to get the job first before an employer will consider playing for your CIM.
Spoiler:
Show
YES you can get into marketing without a relevant degree, in the same way you can say you can get into marketing with a 2:2 or less, or without a degree at all, or without any experience at all. But its misleading to say its "fat better" not too, in terms of employability. Its misleading to say "often your employer will pay for it", thats not THAT common at all. Highly highly competitive to get an actual decent graduate marketing job that isn't just glorified sales.
QDolivia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you are interested in the marketing development, you can come to our company in China. We are open to interns.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by QDolivia)
If you are interested in the marketing development, you can come to our company in China. We are open to interns.
Hmmm... not enough local applicants? Seems legit...

Posted from TSR Mobile
QDolivia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Hmmm... not enough local applicants? Seems legit...

Posted from TSR Mobile
we have global business which not local people can do.
QDolivia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks!
We also look for local marketing agent. If you want to have marketing experience, it's a good chance to know some.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30.28%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.17%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
54.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed