amybonnie98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, so for the start of A2 English Literature we are doing a coursework piece where we are required to study 2-3 literary texts of our choice (preferably novels) to write about and compare on a particular theme. However I have no idea what to read. Any suggestions? Previous texts/authors I have enjoyed, to give you a feel for the sort of stuff I am interested in, are as follows: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Angela Carters book of fairytales, Tolkien, Carol Ann Duffy, Sylvia Plath... its not much to go on! I really love poetry but for this coursework piece I have been advised to study novels. I would be interested in books possibly with themes of homosexuality, in the 1900s, possibly set in America...sorry I am not much help! Any book recommendations would be super helpful!! Thank you
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For AS, I compared Carol Ann Duffy's poetry collection The World's Wife with Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea... My question was in love being liberating/imprisoning you could do a combination like that with another novel?

Or... Maybe...

Looking for Alaska - John Green, Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky and The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger? (adolescence, love, innocence/experience)

Lord of the Flies - William Goulding, The Tempest - Shakespeare, Animal Farm - George Orwell? (isolation, humanity, political corruption, differing worlds)

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury, The Book Thief - Markus Zusak and 1984 - George Orwell? (power, control, books, imprisonment, corruption)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (75)
30.12%
No (174)
69.88%

Watched Threads