Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symun)
    ... does anyone like Milton?

I LOVE MILTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! L'allegro, the mountain nymph, sweet liberty!!!! Oh, seriously seriously my all time favourite poem EVER! Paradise lost is spectacular as well. *sigh* Milton has the same effect on me as Pachabel...that queer uplifting of the soul, which only literature and music lovers know. Aren't we lucky to appreciate such an effect?!

ReputationRep:
    Just an enquiry - has anybody read Crime and Punishment? I'm in the middle of it now, and the word "gripping" comes to mind - it really is fantastic.
    Also noticing some stylistic similarity with Dickens.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I LOVE MILTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! L'allegro, the mountain nymph, sweet liberty!!!! Oh, seriously seriously my all time favourite poem EVER! Paradise lost is spectacular as well.
    Read Milton's God by William Empson- an extraordinary look at Milton and christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symun)
    Further... Old English literature? Beowulf, Sir Gawain etc. The roots of the language!
    Yay! someone after my own heart. Have you read any other old English poems, The Wanderer or The Seafarer? I think they're fantastic and well worth a read.
    Incidentally, I just finished 'Starter for ten' the other day, and i thought it was really very funny. It's set in the 80s but anyone at Uni now will find it hilarious. It's not Literature with a capital L, but I like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legalbeagle)
    Just an enquiry - has anybody read Crime and Punishment? I'm in the middle of it now, and the word "gripping" comes to mind - it really is fantastic.
    yes i've read crime and punishment, it is fantastic, however i prefer The Idiot...dostoevky at his best! I've never drawn parallels between dostoevsky and dickens...but now i'm curious...what would you say the similarities are?!

ReputationRep:
    Probably because a) they are in roughly the same era (roughly)
    b)the delineation of Douania and her mother smacks of the feminine idealism in a lot of Dickens's female characters
    and
    c)the dark picture of st petersburg city life reminds me of Dickens's merciless methods of communicating the gloom and torture of London in "Bleak House". Although both authors have many differences, (and I have to remember that one is weakened by translation) these things struck me most.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, C&P is fantastic, I can't understand why so many people say they dislike it/ can't finish it. I also enjoyed The Idiot and Tolstoy's works.

Russian Lit. is one of my favourite areas of literature - I'm disappointed there isn't any on my reading list for Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    Yeah, C&P is fantastic, I can't understand why so many people say they dislike it/ can't finish it. I also enjoyed The Idiot and Tolstoy's works.

Russian Lit. is one of my favourite areas of literature - I'm disappointed there isn't any on my reading list for Warwick

:eek: my favourite too! And i'm going to warwick as well!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm hoping to apply this September to study English at Cambridge. I hear there are tests on poetry in the interviews, and I hardly know anything about poetry!

Can anyone recommed any books of poetry by pre-twentieth century poets? A long list of poets would be good

ReputationRep:
    Anyone read Dan Browns books? i have read 3 of the 4 now, the only one i havent read is deception point. i think the plots are very clever esp when he uses factual information.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, has anyone ever read anything by Minette Walters? I have never been very big on crime novels, but recently, after reading Disordered Minds by said author, I'm a bit of a convert! Has anyone read this? What do you think?
    I've never posted here before but am a massive literature fan - I've just finished Anna Karenina, which was hard work but really good. Anyone read this?
    Off to study English and French and Nottingham (hopefully!) next year - so v. excited about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan18)
    Hi, has anyone ever read anything by Minette Walters? I have never been very big on crime novels, but recently, after reading Disordered Minds by said author, I'm a bit of a convert! Has anyone read this? What do you think?
    I've never posted here before but am a massive literature fan - I've just finished Anna Karenina, which was hard work but really good. Anyone read this?
    Off to study English and French and Nottingham (hopefully!) next year - so v. excited about that!
    Anna Karenina was BRILLIANT, i just loved it....i found myself racing through the book to find out what happens in the end, but i took the last few chapters so slooooooowly so i could really savour it!

By the way, i'm in the middle of reading Charlotte Bronte's 'Villete'....so far i must say it is my favourite out of any of the Bronte sisters' works! I love it so much i am strongly considering a trip to Brussels in the near future...!

(Original post by grace)
    Anna Karenina was BRILLIANT, i just loved it....i found myself racing through the book to find out what happens in the end, but i took the last few chapters so slooooooowly so i could really savour it!

By the way, i'm in the middle of reading Charlotte Bronte's 'Villete'....so far i must say it is my favourite out of any of the Bronte sisters' works! I love it so much i am strongly considering a trip to Brussels in the near future...!
    i enjoyed reading Anna Karenina, i just couldn't put it down as i became so involved in the book wanting to know what happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike1985)
    Hi there, I'm hoping to apply this September to study English at Cambridge. I hear there are tests on poetry in the interviews, and I hardly know anything about poetry!

Can anyone recommed any books of poetry by pre-twentieth century poets? A long list of poets would be good
    Getting yourself a copy of one of the Norton Anthologies of English Literature wouldn't do you any harm - you'll probably need it for Uni anyway. I think there's 2 volumes in cronological order and they're around £20.

ReputationRep:

Get hold of a good anthology- the Oxford and New Penguin books of English verse/poetry are very good. Then find and read other writers you like in there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot I shall do that!

ReputationRep:

it´s more important to know about the fundaments of prosody rather than to have randomly read lots of poets who you can´t speak about at interview. be able to explain why you are interested in a selection of poets from c. shakespeare onwards. eg shakespeare, pope, shelley, browning, hardy, ts eliot. rather controversial... but more importantly study poets who relate to your a-level texts: i rambled on about shelley and wordsworth at interview because i was studying keats for A2.

try the poetry handbook by john lennard for general introduction to prosody. also the art of fiction by david lodge may be quite useful. a more involving introduction to theory that is on my pre-term reading list is an introduction to literature, criticism and theory by a bennet and n royle.

ReputationRep:
    any hardcore hardy fans?
    I love him!

ReputationRep:
    any hardcore hardy fans?
    I love him!

I greatly enjoyed Far from the Maddening Crowd, and as cliche as it sounds, Tess of the D'Urbervilles (has anyone else noticed parallels between Tess o'the D's and DH Lawrence's The Rainbow?)

I love the way he revels in language, although at times it is a trifle pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    any hardcore hardy fans?
    I love him!
    Read Hardy's poems- I've been reading him for many years and keep finding new and wonderful ones. If you like Hardy, you may like the poems of Edward Thomas and Robert Frost. A very funny parody of Hardy's followers as novelists is Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbon.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.