Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    The narrator of a first-person narrative is a character imagined- invented, if you prefer- by the novelist. I'll leave aside debate about the reality of character as i hold an old-fashioned view of it. The narrator of a novel- as Vladimir Nabokov said about Humbert Humbert- is not an alter ego or a wish-fulfilment on the author's part but an imagined "person" who thinks and narrates accordingly. The narrative and the idiom of the narrative, reflect the narrator, not the novelist,

Speaking of Humbert Humbert...i was amazed by the novel Lolita. I can't think of what else to say except that i was stunned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    Speaking of Humbert Humbert...i was amazed by the novel Lolita. I can't think of what else to say except that i was stunned.
    You should have read it, not bashed yourself on the head with it.
    It is a masterpiece in its horrible way. You feel sorry for a callous paedophile. Some of Nabokov's other novels are very good- Pale Fire is the one for post-modernists.

ReputationRep:
    Yayy ill join
    Btw i'm applying to do english at uni next year. If anyone here is doing that could u take a look at the 2nd draft of my personal statement: criticise n review? it would be especially helpful from fellow english students thanks just pm me ure email add id appreciate it like crazy cause im slightly obsessive abt my personal statement at the mo *sigh*
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    Personally I was very troubled by Lolita which is a credit to Nabocov.

ReputationRep:
    requesting permission to land - in other words may I'd like to join the lit society :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Who do I talk to about joining? I'm going off to study lit as soon as my gap year is done.

I'm in the middle of reading The Kite Runner, about a man in Afghanistan. Really interesting, with a different perspective on the country, but well written too. Really takes you to a different place, which is part of what I love about books.

ReputationRep:
    can i join please? seems like a very fab society :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Unfortunately, I have read it. I regretted it though. In my opinion, a first person narrative is not an excuse for negligible grammar and copious obscenities. I can not think of a single reason why it won the Man Booker, except perhaps watered-down judging. It may 'deal with contemporary issues' or what-have-you, but I believe that the Booker exists to reward accomplished literature, and that includes the quality of writing.
    IMO it was a deserved winner- it's an excellent stinging satire of the media-- vernon's wry observations and his novel use of metaphor is fresh and funny--it's pacy- and most importantly enjoyable.

... and as for the swearing- he's a 15 year-old boy being scape-goated for a mass murder- so why the f*ck not!

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my CLEP's test for English next year.. wee! Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, what is the UKL Literature Society? Anyway, it sounds great, can I join? How do I go about doing that? I'm applying to study English, I can't wait, just got to worry about getting the grades now!

ReputationRep:
    Hey has anyone read the book waterland by swift
    its my a/s level book and its not that interesting at all
    much prefered to have wuthering heights or clockwork orange etc

ReputationRep:
    I'll join!!!

I'm studying English Lit and Music at university. The English Lit modules I'm doing are 'Literary Theory and Criticism' and 'British Romanticism'. I'm so chuffed about that because I think Romanticism is great, particularly Coleridge. I first got into Coleridge when studying it at A2 and have loved it since!

At A-level I studied: WW1 poets, particularly Wilfred Owen
    'The Child In Time' by Ian McEwan
    'Othello'
    John Donne
    'Birdsong', by Sebastian Faulks
    '1984' by Orwell
    'The Tempest'
    Coleridge

If anyone wants help on those I'll try my best to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    Hey has anyone read the book waterland by swift
    its my a/s level book and its not that interesting at all
    much prefered to have wuthering heights or clockwork orange etc
    CLOCKWORK ORANGE?!? ARE YOU MENTAL?!??!??!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrisbeeFan)
    At A-level I studied: WW1 poets, particularly Wilfred Owen
    'The Child In Time' by Ian McEwan
    If anyone wants help on those I'll try my best to help.
    I'm doing Enduring Love at the minute for my exam in jan. Have you read Atonement by Ian McEwan? Does anyone know if its any good? I've bought it to read. Is a Child in Time also worth reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    I'm doing Enduring Love at the minute for my exam in jan. Have you read Atonement by Ian McEwan? Does anyone know if its any good? I've bought it to read. Is a Child in Time also worth reading?
    I haven't read Enduring Love or Atonement, sorry. But A Child In Time is fantastic, if a bit depressing. Don't read it if you get easily upset!

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? I love literature; I'm hardly ever seen without a book under my nose Reading "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" at the moment, and I'm finding it really interesting.

The last novel I read was aaaages ago, unfortunately, what with work and college, but I've got a feeling it was Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. I love those books.

I'm doing English Lang/Lit at college at the moment, and it's a nice combination: getting the study the language used in literature and why it was used somehow makes the experience of reading a book more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    enduring love is such a good book!
    hope you read my previous thread to this question

Is anyone studying re-generation at A-level?
    What do people think about it? I personally think it's really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Lil !*!] Have you read Atonement by Ian McEwan? Does anyone know if its any good? [QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. It is very cleverly structured although i felt that some of the description was a bit unnecessary at times and felt a bit like padding (it is quite a long book). Not one of my all-time favourites but definitely worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    enduring love is such a good book!
    hope you read my previous thread to this question

Is anyone studying re-generation at A-level?
    What do people think about it? I personally think it's really interesting.
    YEah I liked Regeneration. The relationships between the characters are fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    You know what's interesting to read? The Declaration of Independence.. seriously.

For those Brits who haven't read it yet.. read it.. it's good.. and you can learn alot from it.

Also, try putting it into your own words.. expecially the last few paragraphs.

This is what I came up with...

.."We have asked you to repair the unjust way you have treated us in the past, but you've only steadily increased the unfair treatment towards your own people. Because of your unjust treatment of the people of the colonies, we have thus decided to break all political ties with Great Britain, and we retain the right to declare war, conclude peace, make our own alliances, trade with whomever we please, and do all of the things free people do. We are willing to give up all we own, including our lives, fortunes, and honor to get what we want most... our freedom!"

most of the declaration is accusations.. our people blaming the king of england for all of the wrongs he has forced upon us and even the british.. while the last paragraph shows our desperation to be free.. alone.. unhindered to do what we wish.. without a tyrant brutally forcing us to do what HE wishes.
    The last paragraph of the decl.:
    We, therefore, the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do in the name, and by the authority of the good people of these colonies, solemnly publish and declare, that these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the state of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things with independent states may of right do. And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.

Does that last bold comment seem a bit desperate?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.