Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Literature Society (UKL E/LitSoc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    Yeah. Post-feminism is the most annoying tripe out there. Or those Latin American dreamers...
    I agree with part of your statement, i am not a fan of post-feminism or feminist literature... However, your "Latin American Dreamers"... Magical realism is not restricted to South America, in fact Kafka is a Magical realist....

"Dreamers"..lol... it's a lot more than magic: history, society, culture, psychology...And if you find out the history and (broad) definition of Magical Realism, you will actually see how Garcia Marquez and fellow authors are not simply "dreamers"...

Whywhywhy, out of interest what literature do you like?? (not being sarcastic, genuinely want to know lol).

ReputationRep:
    Postmodern, especially Nietzsche...

ReputationRep:
    You guys may be able to help me, speaking of the feminist theorists, im using Kristeva's theory of abjection as applied to Alice in Wonderland, as well as Simone de Beauvior and Kate Millett as applied to the afore mentioned text. Any of you have any comments on Alice in Wonderland and the works of these or any feminist theorist?

ooh i will join too

im currently doing English Literature: did Wuthering Heights which i didnt like as a story but as a piece of literature is really good however Emily is not my prefered Bronte, i much prefer the work of Charlotte..i fell in love with Jane Eyre but that may also have something to do with being in a stage version of it..and i also did A Streetcar Named Desire-which i really love because of how as a play it broke a lot of the conventions of theatre and the fact it is very symbolic really influence a play that i devised in a group for my Theatre Studies course..

basically i love literature, whether it be classic or a great funny book by Ben Elton who i adore!! he is a comedy genious when it comes to writing

i really love reading any play-especially Shakespeare and his contemporaries such as Marlowe..faustus is brilliant!!

i did consider taking English at uni along with drama but im thinking that i may just do drama on its own though...im not that great at english as a subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    You guys may be able to help me, speaking of the feminist theorists, im using Kristeva's theory of abjection as applied to Alice in Wonderland, as well as Simone de Beauvior and Kate Millett as applied to the afore mentioned text. Any of you have any comments on Alice in Wonderland and the works of these or any feminist theorist?
    that's an incredibly interesting piece of work! what's it for?

ReputationRep:
    Postmodern, especially Nietzsche...
    Superb.. just got Beyond Good and Evil myself!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join.
    I got 100% in AS Lit, absolutely love it!
    For A -level (which I've now finished, sniff!) I did LEar, Seamus Heaney, Amadeus by Schaffer, Great Expectations, Oedipus, Death of a Salesman, Selected Irish Short Stories, The Nun's Priest's Tale and much unseen poetry!

Favourite authors include Emily Bronte, Hardy, Dickens and Austen - a classics girl at heart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leda swanson)
    that's an incredibly interesting piece of work! what's it for?
    My term assignmnet on English Literature. Its more difficult than it looks but im not too worried.

ReputationRep:
    I love the classics, with Dickens being my personal favourite. Wilde writes so beautifully... aaahh.

However, I'm not a fan of poetry at all, and Sylvia Plath annoyed me. Ooh.. And Austen drives me absolutely nuts. Pride and Prejudice was tolerable but Emma.. ARGH.

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me, If anyone ever needs info on Feminist or Marxist theorists, I have a bunch of links and ill be all too happy to scan my handouts. Afterall, those of you who are literature students we should help others out as much as possible!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    That reminds me, If anyone ever needs info on Feminist or Marxist theorists, I have a bunch of links and ill be all too happy to scan my handouts. Afterall, those of you who are literature students we should help others out as much as possible!!
    do you have any links to feminst and marxist theorists on keats? would be very useful for impending exam on tuesday...

ReputationRep:
    hmm, no not Keats, sorry ill have a look through my notes though...

ReputationRep:
    For those who are passionate about literature, I highly reccomend reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens. Although studying it for AS level, I found it a very, very intelligent and thought-provoking novel, whilst still revolving around brilliantly diverse and interesting characters. A lot of enjoyment can be had from it, and is often funny in its own little witty way. After all, it is satire.

ReputationRep:
    heh, I wish in our course we could just read the books, but no, We have to look at the htoerists and how and why they thought the way they did and then apply their theoried to texts and transform them... its headache provoking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0ke)
    For those who are passionate about literature, I highly reccomend reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens. Although studying it for AS level, I found it a very, very intelligent and thought-provoking novel, whilst still revolving around brilliantly diverse and interesting characters. A lot of enjoyment can be had from it, and is often funny in its own little witty way. After all, it is satire.
    I agree. I read it last summer....I love the spectrum of caricatures in Dicken's books - from the ambiguous character that is Louisa to her despicable husband! I've also read Nicholas Nickleby, Great Expectations, Bleak House (good to read as a future lawyer...for preventative reasons) and also some VERY funny, imaginative and witty short stories....

ReputationRep:
    Good news my fellow Lit society, my latest major assignment is all good! yay! Thankyou Alice in Wonderland!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please? For AS I did:
    Othello
    Emma
    Carol Ann Duffy poetry (its bizarre)
    Translations
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I propose that the society remains free of schools of thought that undermine the notion of literature itself.

ReputationRep:
    I propose that the society remains free of schools of thought that undermine the notion of literature itself.
    Seconded. I've taken the liberty of joining (this being the only 'society' that seems vaguely endearing - apart from the league of course, if such a thing can be called a society).

Favourite books: Paradise Lost, Satanic Verses (anything by Salman Rushdie is automatically a masterpiece - Midnight's children is wonderful), Flowers for Algernon, Death of a Salesman, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Herodotus' Histories and all of the Shakesperean tragedies (King Lear especially).

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.