Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    I propose that the society remains free of schools of thought that undermine the notion of literature itself.
    which schools of thought would they be?

i don't think a literature society should be at all exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna join!

I love reading, well ... anything really. 20th C American Literature is a favourite, as is historical fiction, Russian Literature, Harry Potter

I'm studying English A-Level at the moment and am starting a literature degree this autumn at the university of Warwick (if I get the grades :rolleyes: ) - can't wait, the course looks amazing

ReputationRep:
    Laurz: Can I join please?

Hello!

I'm off to do English lit and film at Warwick in september and am slightly worried that i'm gonna sink completely at uni....i do enjoy reading lots of things (mainly agatha christie, roald dahl and enid blyton.... ) and don't mind reading more complicated novels etc but i dont think id say i was passionate about literature....soooo, i have come on here to try to ignite some literary fires within my heaving bosom.

What did you think of "Translations" Laurz? I thought it was pretty mediocre to be honest, the message was a valid one, but was a tad flogged to death in my opinion. The considerable lack of plot got to me as well..... I haven't read "a streetcar named desire" but i have seen it in the theatre and the wonderful Vivian Leigh/Marlon Brando film version and wish we'd done that instead of "Translations" and the godawful "Dr. Faustus".

"Emma" was alright though (she'd an irritating character but i liked her).

Most of my class hated "Howards End" but i really enjoyed it (as well as another of Forster's, "Maurice" which is one of my only proper out of school books to date but i'm working on it - i've moved on to "The Plague" by Camus).

We also did "The Whitsun Weddings" poetry collection by Phillip Larkin which is the first time i've actually enjoyed poetry, and certainly the first time i think i've come close to understanding it, and "Anthony and Cleoptra" by Shakespeare which i also enjoyed far more than "The Tempest" which we studied the following year (again most of my A level class disagreed with me).

ReputationRep:
    Acid_Rain:I'm studying English A-Level at the moment and am starting a literature degree this autumn at the university of Warwick

Hello! Just noticed you're off to Warwick to do English in September too. Errr....can't think of anything to say now. lol. oh well. i'll be off now then.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting the A2 course and have been told what it entails. I'm a bit worried about the synoptic, is it as hard as it seems? we have been told we are doing world war 1 lit. Also, i have had a serious problem with my english literature teacher as she won't mark our essays. is there anyway through my A2 course, i could get them marked by someone else. i was thinking maybe a private tutor to mark essays. does anyone have suggestion???

ReputationRep:
    OK guys! call to arms! Ive just been given an assignment 3000 Wds as well as a 15 min speaking task that goes with it. I have to choose three texts, I have the first two, all I need is a novel where the character is a female who seeks revenge, does anyone know of one that can be considered literature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    OK guys! call to arms! Ive just been given an assignment 3000 Wds as well as a 15 min speaking task that goes with it. I have to choose three texts, I have the first two, all I need is a novel where the character is a female who seeks revenge, does anyone know of one that can be considered literature?

you could try 'cat's eyes' by margaret atwood-female revenge theme in that...

ReputationRep:
    Can I join, please? Didn't do it as a subject, but love reading!

ReputationRep:
    ok, thats an idea,...

Anyone else with suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    ok, thats an idea,...

Anyone else with suggestions?
    Fay Weldon's The Life and Loves of a She Devil?

ReputationRep:
    Now exams are over, i personally get back into my reading...

So what are people reading or intending to do literature wise during the summeR??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)

So what are people reading or intending to do literature wise during the summeR??
    Just Finished reading Jane Eyre again... teriffic novel! And now im onto The Aeneid.

ReputationRep:
    And now im onto The Aeneid.
    Ooh - good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Ooh - good luck
    im looking foward to it!

ReputationRep:
    Can I join too please?
    I've just finished A Level English Lit
    I studied - Othello, Jane Eyre, Whitson Weddings by Philip Larkin, The Miller's Tale by Chaucer, Dr. Faustus by Marlowe and Catcher in the Rye by Salinger

ReputationRep:
    can i join plzz.
    doing english and history joint at uni

ReputationRep:

I have a very lengthy reading list to work through ready for university

Though I'm not sure exactly how much of it to buy/ read in preparation, partly as I can't know for sure exactly if I've met my offer yet and the required reading for my insurance choice will no doubt be completely different.

However, I suppose it can't hurt to work my way through Homer's Odyssey/ Iliad Apart from that, I'm delving deeper into Am. Lit. at the moment, Tennessee Williams, Mark Twain etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    I have a very lengthy reading list to work through ready for university

Though I'm not sure exactly how much of it to buy/ read in preparation, partly as I can't know for sure exactly if I've met my offer yet and the required reading for my insurance choice will no doubt be completely different.

However, I suppose it can't hurt to work my way through Homer's Odyssey/ Iliad Apart from that, I'm delving deeper into Am. Lit. at the moment, Tennessee Williams, Mark Twain etc.
    I got my reading list too! I can't wait to get cracking! I have bought some books already, but those i would use for all three years and would be essential on any course...

What university you going for?

ReputationRep:
    I got my reading list too! I can't wait to get cracking! I have bought some books already, but those i would use for all three years and would be essential on any course...

What university you going for?
    University of Warwick, should I manage to get the grades. Otherwise, I'll be off to the UEA to study English and American Lit. . Am not too bothered either way - both courses look great.

ReputationRep:
    This is fairly way out, but Does anyone have any really complete study guides to Medea by Euripides?

I dont expect a positive answer, but its worth a try isnt it?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.