Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Literature Society (UKL E/LitSoc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was just wondering how many people have read, seen or heard Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas! In my opinion it is suburb. I find it gets more exciting and overwhelming with every page.

For those who have not read it please do! Here is a little taster, the 1st sentence:

'To begin at the beginning: It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched courters'-and-rabits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fighingboat-bobbing sea.'

WOW - It just takes your breath away

(Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Hey,

I was just wondering how many people have read, seen or heard Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas! In my opinion it is suburb. I find it gets more exciting and overwhelming with every page.

For those who have not read it please do! Here is a little taster, the 1st sentence:

'To begin at the beginning: It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched courters'-and-rabits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fighingboat-bobbing sea.'

WOW - It just takes your breath away
    this year the year 13 theatre studies group performed it for thier practical-i went along to see it (as i am a year 12 theatre studies student) and i was blown away by how great it was. I had only really heard about it before i saw it so didnt really know what it was about but after seeing it, i went and got a copy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    This society is really cool! I've just set up the UKL Drama Society. I thought that some people from this group might want to join to discuss their favourite plays and films. Look foward to some of your joining!

Scotty

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiousity here, has anyone read the book, "A Great and Terrible Beauty," by Libba Bray?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Out of curiousity here, has anyone read the book, "A Great and Terrible Beauty," by Libba Bray?
    What rubbish. In my opinion, any book that falls within the category of 'young adult' is worth avoiding. However, I make it a point to trawl through most things with pages.

A stupid conbination of historicalromanticfantasyhorrori diocy that doesn't work in any genre. If you haven't read it, don't (unless you enjoy low-brow books with small expectiations of their reader's mental capacities).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    What rubbish. In my opinion, any book that falls within the category of 'young adult' is worth avoiding. However, I make it a point to trawl through most things with pages.

A stupid conbination of historicalromanticfantasyhorrori diocy that doesn't work in any genre. If you haven't read it, don't (unless you enjoy low-brow books with small expectiations of their reader's mental capacities).
    lol, do you criticize every book so throughly?
    I thought it was an interesting book, however not one of my favorites.
    Ever heard of the Dragonlance Series? I recommend The Cleric Quintet, by R.A. Salvatore.
    OR, the Dragon's series, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I hate all 'young adult' books! So many people who could be enjoying Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Woolf, Waugh, Orwell, Sallenger, Lee and other greats don't. Becasue rather than going from childrens books to the classics they have a middle step which slows them down, and many people miss out on the great classics becasue of 'teen fiction'

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I hate all 'young adult' books! So many people who could be enjoying Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Woolf, Waugh, Orwell, Sallenger, Lee and other greats don't. Becasue rather than going from childrens books to the classics they have a middle step which slows them down, and many people miss out on the great classics becasue of 'teen fiction'
    Except Dragonlace isn't considered teen.
    I'd prefer Hemmingway.. thanks. And I'm a 16 year old. It takes me an average of 4 days to read a book that has about.. 1,000 pages. Usually less depending on how good the book is.
    I've never heard of most of those authors. Tell me an author and a book, and I'll read it. Or try to find it.

ReputationRep:
    Except Dragonlace isn't considered teen.
    I'd prefer Hemmingway.. thanks. And I'm a 16 year old. It takes me an average of 4 days to read a book that has about.. 1,000 pages. Usually less depending on how good the book is.
    I've never heard of most of those authors. Tell me an author and a book, and I'll read it. Or try to find it.
    I read: (classical literature[that I've read this past year])
    "A Farewell To Arms"
    "To Kill a Mockingbird"
    "Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles" (YUCK)
    "the Odyssey"
    "Catcher in the Rye" (yuck)
    "Of Mice and Men"
    "The Edodus"
    and many more.. that I don't feel like running upstairs to look through the library and remember which I've read this year alone.

ReputationRep:
    My top 3 reads:

1.Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - This one is life changing. Be prepared for a new outlook on life.

2.Animal Farm by Orwell - A kids read but so fun and a classic. Something to stay with you forever.

3.Catcher In The Rye by Sallanger - This was published in the same year as Brideshead and is so different. It was revolutionary for its age, and is still leaves readers breathless today.

*They should only take about a 5 days to read them all, and then you'll prob want to read them again becasue they are so good*

ReputationRep:
    lol, do you criticize every book so throughly?
    I thought it was an interesting book, however not one of my favorites.
    Ever heard of the Dragonlance Series? I recommend The Cleric Quintet, by R.A. Salvatore.
    OR, the Dragon's series, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
    Not a big fan of fantasy / sci-fi (or women writers).

Well, this is the age where books written for both children and adults are prolific. Intellectual degredation, so it is. I don't mind. As long as Salman Rushdie is churning out his masterworks, I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    My top 3 reads:

1.Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - This one is life changing. Be prepared for a new outlook on life.

2.Animal Farm by Orwell - A kids read but so fun and a classic. Something to stay with you forever.

3.Catcher In The Rye by Sallanger - This was published in the same year as Brideshead and is so different. It was revolutionary for its age, and is still leaves readers breathless today.

*They should only take about a 5 days to read them all, and then you'll prob want to read them again becasue they are so good*
    I read Catcher in the Rye.. I hated it. It was extremely boring to me.
    I loved Of Mice and Men.. I cried at the end.. I don't want to read animal farm.. I was told it was.. I don't remember actually. But I'll look for the Brideshead book.

ReputationRep:
    Yay another Brideshead Convert

ReputationRep:
    Not a big fan of fantasy / sci-fi (or women writers).

Well, this is the age where books written for both children and adults are prolific. Intellectual degredation, so it is. I don't mind. As long as Salman Rushdie is churning out his masterworks, I'm happy.
    Why do you not like women writers? and Margaret Weis is the only woman writer there.. Tracy Hickman is actually a man. I was like.. woah when I found that out. ANYWAYS!
    I've found a woman writer who I love to read, but.. she's a young adult writer.. Tamora Pierce is her name. I thought she is excellent. Some of my favorite books are by her.

ReputationRep:
    Yay another Brideshead Convert
    lol, just because I'm going to buy it doesn't mean I'll like it. . If its interesting enough I should.. but if its extremely boring.. I won't.

What's it about?

If I were to recommend a book to you, do you think you'd read it?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you not like women writers? and Margaret Weis is the only woman writer there.. Tracy Hickman is actually a man. I was like.. woah when I found that out. ANYWAYS!
    I've found a woman writer who I love to read, but.. she's a young adult writer.. Tamora Pierce is her name. I thought she is excellent. Some of my favorite books are by her.
    I've always been of the opinion that female writers are, on the basis of what's been written in the past, somewhat less adept at writing than the male deputation. Not a prejudice, just an observation.

Can't say I've heard of that author. Still, she sounds like a feminist fantasy writer. I'll avoid.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been of the opinion that female writers are, on the basis of what's been written in the past, somewhat less adept at writing than the male deputation. Not a prejudice, just an observation.

Can't say I've heard of that author. Still, she sounds like a feminist fantasy writer. I'll avoid.
    lol, you read something about her didn't you? Thats why you say she's a feminist writer. She does write about Heroines because you don't find them in many books. But what she does write is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Do either of you like war stories? If so I have an excellent book for you to read. And NO its not a young adult novel.

i agree-animal farm is a fun book on one level and then it has that thoughtful level aswell. A true favourite of mine..

ReputationRep:
    Its one of my favourites! It is just so funny. I have to say I think it beats 1984 hands down, because it has more relevance to people.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.