Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Do either of you like war stories? If so I have an excellent book for you to read. And NO its not a young adult novel.
    Go ahead. Make my day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Its one of my favourites! It is just so funny. I have to say I think it beats 1984 hands down, because it has more relevance to people.
    I agree - Animal farm has a simple but important message which is communicated in a simple way.

1984 is too complex a tale to become such a classic - the morals are tied up in the story and require thought to reaslie - thought a lot of people don't have

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the images of the play of Animal Farm with the little paper masks on the children and that is what is more delightful. Its a childrens story that doens't give them the moral, social and political message behind it when they act it. But their naivity converys the strength of orwells writing even more to the audience!

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the images of the play of Animal Farm with the little paper masks on the children and that is what is more delightful. Its a childrens story that doens't give them the moral, social and political message behind it when they act it. But their naivity converys the strength of orwells writing even more to the audience!
    Did anyone else feel the chilling similarity between the American-British forces in Iraq making Saddam's former palces their headquarters and the pigs living in the farm house?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't actually but now you mention it! Orwell such a great man

ReputationRep:
    Its one of my favourites! It is just so funny. I have to say I think it beats 1984 hands down, because it has more relevance to people.
    oh.. heh. I found that book you wanted me to read.. Brideshead Revisited.. I had to order it though. So it won't be in for 7-10 business days. *rolls eyes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Go ahead. Make my day.
    lol, alright.
    Slicky Boys by Martin Limon
    The book is excellent. I've read it about 6 times. Its about American GI's in Korea. Here's the first paragraph in the synopsis:

There are times, there are places where anything can be bought--secrets of state, secrets of the soul, secrets of the flesh. For two peacetime soldiers living on the edge, the line between trust and betrayal, life and death is razor thin--and just as dangerous.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Did anyone else feel the chilling similarity between the American-British forces in Iraq making Saddam's former palces their headquarters and the pigs living in the farm house?
    that is an interesting way to look at it-what a good comparison

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what other books can mirror current events?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what other books can mirror current events?
    For me, the Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice and Wonderland mirrors the European Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    For me, the Mad Hatter's tea party in Alice and Wonderland mirrors the European Parliament.
    lol, yup. I believe I've heard that before. Don't remember where though.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I hate all 'young adult' books! So many people who could be enjoying Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Woolf, Waugh, Orwell, Sallenger, Lee and other greats don't. Becasue rather than going from childrens books to the classics they have a middle step which slows them down, and many people miss out on the great classics becasue of 'teen fiction'
    The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Some people's tastes are more eclectic than others.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been of the opinion that female writers are, on the basis of what's been written in the past, somewhat less adept at writing than the male deputation. Not a prejudice, just an observation.
    Perhaps you could furnish us with some examples.

Can't say I've heard of that author. Still, she sounds like a feminist fantasy writer. I'll avoid.
    No prejudice there then.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been of the opinion that female writers are, on the basis of what's been written in the past, somewhat less adept at writing than the male deputation. Not a prejudice, just an observation.

Can't say I've heard of that author. Still, she sounds like a feminist fantasy writer. I'll avoid.
    Pehaps you've read The Death of the Author by Roland Barthes? It explains exactly what you said, but in tems of, every text is open to interpretation and can be read different way by each person, there is no 'right' way to read a text. Perhaps thats just your way of reading those particular texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    Some people's tastes are more eclectic than others.
    Not to mention the fact that they have their whole lives to read "the classics" but if they do not read "young adult" novels when they are.. oh.. young adults... they would be looked at as.. abnormal. But if you see a 50 yr old reading "A Farewell To Arms," or even LOTR, they would not be looked upon as strange.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been of the opinion that female writers are, on the basis of what's been written in the past, somewhat less adept at writing than the male deputation.
    Novelists: Jane Austen, George Eliot, Edith Wharton, Nadine Gordimer, Elizabeth Taylor, Christina Stead
    Short stories : Katherine Mansfield, Jean Stafford, Sylvia Townsend Warner
    Poets: Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson, Charlotte Mew, Stevie Smith, Elizabeth Bishop
    All from women writing in English-
    Not a prejudice, just an observation.
    Prejudice only equalled by lack of observation.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, can I join this society?

I'm quite into political biographies and commentaries. However, I have also read and enjoyed lately:

"King Lear" - William Shakespeare
    "Romeo and Juliet" - William Shakespeare
    "Twelve" - Nick McDonell
    "Number Ten" - Sue Townsend

I also have to read in the near future:

"The Bell Jar" - Sylvia Plath
    "Great Expectations" - Charles Dickens
    "The Glass Menagerie" - Tennesee Williams
    "Bleak House" - Charles Dickens
    "A streetcar named Desire" - "Tennesee Williams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    "The Glass Menagerie" - Tennesee Williams
    Read it, it was an excellent play. I cried. hmm.. I still have it around here somewhere.. *searches her many piles of books looking for the right one* AH HA! GOT IT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Novelists: Jane Austen, George Eliot, Edith Wharton, Nadine Gordimer, Elizabeth Taylor, Christina Stead
    Short stories : Katherine Mansfield, Jean Stafford, Sylvia Townsend Warner
    Poets: Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson, Charlotte Mew, Stevie Smith, Elizabeth Bishop
    All from women writing in English- Prejudice only equalled by lack of observation.
    Great... you found 14 examples to illustrate your point. Well done, have a gold star. Now, shall I list all the male novelists, short story writers and poets? I don't think that would accomplish much, because clearly you are so absorbed in believing in complete equality that you completely ignore facts.

One of very few female writers I respect is the one you didn't bother to include: Slyvia Plath.

(Original post by RyanW)
    "A streetcar named Desire" - "Tennesee Williams
    a lot of people will probably disagree with me (most of my english class did) but i really don't think this play is a good read at all, as a play when it is performed it is good but when reading it i just don't think it reaches its full potential..The Glass Menagerie on the otherhand is a good play to read-i really enjoyed it

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.