Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Literature Society (UKL E/LitSoc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Brideshead was particularly poignant for me because it contains a homosexual relationship. It helped me to find strength and pride in who I am without dominating the book
    :eek: I never would've pegged you. I would've thought you to be straight. Well I guess, never having spoken to you directly, I couldn't really tell.

Go Ask Alice.. would you like to hear the back of the book?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean that whole sentence in any way shape or form to be derrogatory.. just to clarify that. Personally, I don't care if a person is homosexual or heterosexual.. as long as they are a good person, its their choice. Neither doesn't make them any less a human. So all the power to ya!

ReputationRep:
    awwwww thankyou! It casued no offence in the first place.

I'd quite like to hear the blurb of that 'Go Ask Alice'.

I'd also like to know your perception of 'Catcher In The Rye' becasue I imagine if might differ becasue you would be familiar with alot of the amiricanisms in the book.

I imagine being an American the dialogue had more poignancy that to me!

ReputationRep:
    Catcher In the Rye: Personally, I absolutely detested the book. I couldn't get through the 40th page.. I fell asleep every time I picked the stupid thing up.

Go Ask Alice..: The harrowing TRUE story of a teenager's descent into the seductive world of drugs. A diary so honest you may think you know Alice--or someone like her. Read her diary, ENTER HER WORLD. You'll never be able to forget Alice.

Above it it says..

JANUARY 24TH

After you've had it, there isn't life without drugs...

The editors wrote a little note inside the cover..

Go ask Alice is based on the actual diary of a 15 year old drug user.
    It is not a definitive statement on the middle-class, teenage drug world. It does not offer any solutions.
    It is, however, a highly personal and specific chronicle. As such, we hope it will provide insights into the increasingly complicated world in which we live.
    Names, dates, places, and certain events have been changed in accordance with the wishes of those concerned.

The Editors.

ReputationRep:
    I might read it when my list is finished. At the moment I still have to:

Finish:

Einstein - Theory Of Realivity
    Plath - Johny Panic And The Bible Of Dreams

Read:

Newton- Optiks
    ****- The Man In The High Castle
    Kerouac - On The Road
    Swift - Last Orders
    Martel - Life Of Pi

ReputationRep:
    I also never would've guessed that you are 17. And I thought I was intuitive.. *rolls eyes*

SO I take it this reading list you have is for school? Required reading?

EDIT: Book: Go Ask Alice Author: Anonymous
    (just so you have it)

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16! Nah the reading list is pleasure. I was in cambridge on sat and saw the Newton and Einstein books in a charity shop so bought them.

The others have been gathering dust on my shelves while I did my GCSE's so I'm just gradually working my way down the shelf until they are all read and then I can buy some more?

How old did you think I was? And what gave you that impression? And be nice

ReputationRep:
    How old did you think I was? And what gave you that impression? And be nice
    I don't know, you don't talk like you're 16. How old would you say I am?

ReputationRep:
    ur prob 16, 17, or 18 at a guess. Am I close?

ReputationRep:
    ur prob 16, 17, or 18 at a guess. Am I close?
    lol, pick one.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    lol, 16. Thanks for the compliament though. Everyone tells me I don't act my age.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I like minded 16 year old! From across the pond!

Oooooo that reminds me there is a funny bit in Brideshead where Charles' eccentric father makes a mockery of a man who pretends is American. Very funny! You'll like it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I like minded 16 year old! From across the pond!

Oooooo that reminds me there is a funny bit in Brideshead where Charles' eccentric father makes a mockery of a man who pretends is American. Very funny! You'll like it.
    lol, if you say so.

ReputationRep:
    I need to finish this Einstien tonight! But I can't drag myself away from the PC.

ReputationRep:
    I need to finish this Einstien tonight! But I can't drag myself away from the PC.
    ahh.. so thats a.. "no talking"(on messenger) type answer eh?

ReputationRep:
    lol! I want to get it finished so I can start something else. But I can't drag myself away to read it becasue it goes on so much about trains and embankments.

ReputationRep:
    lol! I want to get it finished so I can start something else. But I can't drag myself away to read it becasue it goes on so much about trains and embankments.
    lol, did you get my PM?

I'm reading A Farewell to Arms again, I haven't read it in a while, and its always more fun when you read for pleasure, not out of necessity (school).

ReputationRep:
    Yer! I've added you on Hotmail.

ReputationRep:
    Yer! I've added you on Hotmail.
    lol,if you want to finish that book so much why do you stay here? Sure its about trains.. he had an obsession.. but what can you do? Re-write the book? I'm at work at the moment, so I don't think I oh wait.. maybe I can.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.