Any thoughts on how you would cure cancer

Watch
xpointx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
​Any thoughts on how to cure a stage 4 cancer?

Would you build small robots to get rid of the cancer cells or further investigate the stem cell project?
xpointx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by xpointx)

Would you build small robots to get rid of the cancer cells or further investigate the stem cell project?
Any creative thinkers out there please feel free to speak?
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Conjugate somthing like mk-3475 to vedotin?
NomNoms
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
scientific?
SmashConcept
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dubstep.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The cure has already been found.

But think about it.

Which would make you more money?
1) Treating millions with cancer, making them pay for extremely expensive equipment/ doctors.
2) Selling a drug to cure it that will be reproduced by different organisations?

That's the problem with today's world.

Greed.
minor bun engine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ComputerMaths97)

But think about it.

1) Treating millions with cancer, making them pay for extremely expensive equipment/ doctors.
2) Selling a drug to cure it that will be reproduced by different organisations?

Greed.
So all of the millions of people in the world who are involved in cancer research and oncology, are in on a unanimous conspiracy to prevent a cancer cure reaching the public, with not one single ethically conscious individual among them? This is something you, with a straight face, can say you believe in?
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by minor bun engine)
So all of the millions of people in the world who are involved in cancer research and oncology, are in on a unanimous conspiracy to prevent a cancer cure reaching the public, with not one single ethically conscious individual among them? This is something you, with a straight face, can say you believe in?
You twisted my words.

Obvious not everyone.

But someone has, but they make more money holding on to it for now. And unfortunately, some people don't have an ethical side when money is involved.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We can better treat cancer but unless you can find a way to stop cells from ever mutating I doubt there a cure out there.
russellsteapot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

But think about it.

Greed.
I'd be interested if you could explain the concept of 'the cure' for cancer. All cancers? One specific type? Or do you think there's a single cure for them all? Do you think they all work the same way? I assume you have some expert insider knowledge and aren't just propagating mindless conspiracy theories.
minor bun engine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You twisted my words.

Obvious not everyone.

But someone has, but they make more money holding on to it for now. And unfortunately, some people don't have an ethical side when money is involved.
Finding a cure for cancer is an effort that, had it happened, would have involved countless individuals in various different positions, from different parts of the globe. How on Earth could all of these people maintain a central conspiracy to hide their discovery from the world? Finding a cure for cancer would have been arguably the greatest medical breakthrough in our history, and you believe that not a single person involved could resist selling out for a couple million bucks?
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Enforce the keto diet
username1847913
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xpointx)

Its a bit hard to say. I did a bit of research on for my report in Uni and the best option are targeted therapies i,e, one drug to target one type of cancer. there has been good success on one type of leukaemia

The thing is cancer is a default of the body. it not like an infection where something foreign comes in and your body destroys it because its foreign. Your body doesnt know that there is a problem and so leaves the cancer to grow and cause damage.
physicst
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by knightandday)
Its a bit hard to say. I did a bit of research on for my report in Uni and the best option are targeted therapies i,e, one drug to target one type of cancer. there has been good success on one type of leukaemia

The thing is cancer is a default of the body. it not like an infection where something foreign comes in and your body destroys it because its foreign. Your body doesnt know that there is a problem and so leaves the cancer to grow and cause damage.
so if body can't differentiate the cancer call and normal cell, then why it provide more nutrition to cancer cell as compared to other cells so that it grow faster than the other cells.

I think cancer cell are like normal cells but the pathway by which information about the growth period and hibernations is blocked or broken. I may be wrong with my words actually I don't know about cancer.
spleenharvester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by physicst)
so if body can't differentiate the cancer call and normal cell, then why it provide more nutrition to cancer cell as compared to other cells so that it grow faster than the other cells.
I think cancer cell are like normal cells but the pathway by which information about the growth period and hibernations is blocked or broken. I may be wrong with my words actually I don't know about cancer.
You are on the right lines - pathways of transformation often involve loss of response of cellular pathways which control the rate of growth (a good example being the Ras-Raf-Mek-Erk negative feedback loop), allowing the cell to proliferate out of context with growth signals in the external environment. This is usually preceded by the loss of certain tumour suppressor genes which would usually cause the cell to apoptose following DNA damage (see Knudson's 2-hit hypothesis).

It is not a case of the body providing more nutrition - the cancer cell readily takes up more. Eg increased aerobic glycolysis, vascularisation (to provide more oxygen), as before loss of response to growth factors that would downregulate mitosis, etc.

Lots of info on Wiki if you are interested in reading around.
username1847913
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Your second paragraph is right

Think of cancer cells as cells in your body that have gone rogue. Why they get more nutrients is because they can cause new blood vessels to grow by turning on genes that are supposed to be off. this allows them to grow into big lumps. So they go rogue-> grow into a ball of untamed cells -> then cause new blood vessels to grow within them so they can grow bigger.

However cancer cells dont do any normal function, so if its cancer of the lung the lung cancer cells dont do anything to help you breathe.
physicst
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by spleenharvester)
You are on the right lines - pathways of transformation often involve loss of response of cellular pathways which control the rate of growth (a good example being the Ras-Raf-Mek-Erk negative feedback loop), allowing the cell to proliferate out of context with growth signals in the external environment. This is usually preceded by the loss of certain tumour suppressor genes which would usually cause the cell to apoptose following DNA damage (see Knudson's 2-hit hypothesis).

It is not a case of the body providing more nutrition - the cancer cell readily takes up more. Eg increased aerobic glycolysis, vascularisation (to provide more oxygen), as before loss of response to growth factors that would downregulate mitosis, etc.

Lots of info on Wiki if you are interested in reading around.
I have no background in biology, but just have a little bit interest. Do you suggest some standard text reference to study as a beginner . Anyway thanks for the post
spleenharvester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no background in biology, but just have a little bit interest. Do you suggest some standard text reference to study as a beginner . Anyway thanks for the post
I'm not really sure to be honest - I've mostly learned from lecture handouts and wiki. No doubt there are probably some good textbooks around though.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Research funding in the sciences must be even worse than I thought
username1495504
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I have an idea on how to cure skin cancer.
I have a halo nevus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_nevus
My body decided to destroy one of my moles by itself because 'it didn't like it'.

If we are able to understand why someone's body decided to attack a certain mole we could trigger this onto a skin cancer so their body will destroy it itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (56)
13.97%
Virtual campus tours/open days (92)
22.94%
Live streaming events (38)
9.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (39)
9.73%
A uni comparison tool (90)
22.44%
An in-person event when available (86)
21.45%