Delna26diya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was wondering if I could get into a UK university to study medicine because in 5th year I only sat 3 highers (chemistry, English and Modern studies) and 2 national 5s ( Maths and Biology). I intent to sit advanced higher in chemistry plus a higher in maths, admin & IT, and biology. Is there any possibilities that I could study medicine in a UK university. Please help me out. Thanks!
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It sounds like you took the SQA Scottish qualifications?
The requirements for Scottish highers for medicine are on the websites of medical schools. Generally for England and Wales you need to have done advanced highers (to be equal with A-levels) - either 2 or 3 to include chemistry and often biology. Scottish universities require at least 5 highers to include chemistry and biology.

Have a look here for requirements http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_students

You need to sit 2, preferably 3 advanced highers, and you do not need so many highers - far better to drop at least one and sit advanced highers in chemistry, biology and another subject.

You would also need to meet their GCSE or equivalent qualification requirements, 2 National 5s is not enough.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements
Delna26diya
Rep:
?
I am doing scottish highers and advanced highers now but in fifth year i only sat three highers, however to get into medicine the entry requirements in scottish universities say tht you need to sit 5 highers in s5 and get 4 A and a B. Therefore is there any possibility for me to do medicine coz i will do 2 advanced highers in sixth year. Or should i consider applying for medicine in an another country???
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Delna26diya)
I am doing scottish highers and advanced highers now but in fifth year i only sat three highers, however to get into medicine the entry requirements in scottish universities say tht you need to sit 5 highers in s5 and get 4 A and a B. Therefore is there any possibility for me to do medicine coz i will do 2 advanced highers in sixth year. Or should i consider applying for medicine in an another country???
See the first link in my reply above, it has a list of the SQA entry requirements for all the universities that accept them. I suggest you have a good look through, there are some in the UK outside Scotland that accept 2 AH if offered alongside highers.

For scottish unis, if your concern is that you took 3 instead of 5 highers in s5, you need to contact individual universities to see if they are happy to accept you taking the remaining 2 highers alongside your 2 AHs in s6 - I shouldn't imagine it would be too much of a problem as you are not applying straight out of s5, and you will be taking a high workload/a lot of exams in one sitting which is what they want you to demonstrate.
Delna26diya
Rep:
?
Thank you!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.42%
Labour (297)
50.6%
Liberal Democrats (76)
12.95%
Green Party (30)
5.11%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.21%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)