This discussion is closed.
miniskirt
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
please help im stuck on maths and need help quick i cant work out formuls for regular polygons with set length of 1000m and need the overall formula
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what do you need to find out from using the formula, e.g. area etc., and at what level is this, e.g. GCSE, AS, A2 ETC.

Phil
miniskirt
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i am gcse student and i need formula to work out area
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is this what you want

Area of triangle = ½ base length x height. ??????

Phil
iluvthesun
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
hey miniskirt,

if this is coursework, then you'll get more marks by showing how you worked out your formula, rather than just making it appear out of nowhere.

for example, for a pentagon, try splitting it up into 5 isosceles triangles and work out the area on one of those triangles. then do the same with hexagons, heptagons and so on... you'll see a pattern begin to emerge, and from that you can get a formula.

by 'set length 1000m' do you mean perimeter or side length? if it's perimeter then you'll need to divide 1000 by the number of sides to get the side length, and you can use that to work out the area of the little triangles using A = 1/2*base*height.

my gcse maths coursework is long gone so i don't know what the general formula is but if you're still stuck i'll try to find it out for you.

meanwhile, try the triangle method and see how it goes!
____
Mace
iluvthesun
Report 16 years ago
ok i've got it.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53384.html

it's a similar situation to your problem (perimeter = 1000m), and it has all the working out. but if you just want the formula, it's...

(500)^2
A = -----------------
n.tan(pi/n)

... where n is the number of sides

i think you'd better check to see if it works first.

good luck!
____
Mace
iluvthesun
Report 16 years ago
oops, that formula didn't come out very well! so here it is again:

A = (500)^2 / n.tan(pi/n)

sorry about that!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If not, you could always go to e.g. essaybank, or one of the other essay/coursework pages, to see what other people have done, but I'd say only use their answers to get an idea, don't just copy it out, as you'll probably get caught, and in trouble for cheating.

Phil
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (85)
14.1%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (49)
8.13%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (75)
12.44%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (67)
11.11%
Other reasons are stopping me going (79)
13.1%
Nothing is stopping me going (248)
41.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise