The Student Room Group

Medical Schools - NO INTERVIEW?

which med unis dont require an interview????????????????????????????
Original post by qwertyisthebest

They ALL require interviews now
Reply 2
The ones that don't teach medicine.
Reply 3
probably none.
No med school in the UK will give you an offer without interview.

Do you not like interviews? Unlucky for you, medicine is the one degree course that interviews a candidate before offering a place in most cases.
Edinburgh doesn't interview....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh is the only one in the UK that doesn't interview. They'll probably have to change it eventually anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you so keen to avoid interviews? Because if it's a fear of being put on the spot or something, you'd be in a world of pain at medical school anyway if you couldn't get past it. The teaching style of the vast majority of the people who teach me involves putting students on the spot - not usually in a cruel way, but in a way that's calculated to make you think and squirm a bit nonetheless. And that's before you even start to think about patients and relatives putting you on the spot..

Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Edinburgh is the only one in the UK that doesn't interview. They'll probably have to change it eventually anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure. Ten years ago, a huge number of courses still interviewed (including all manner of arts subjects). They gradually tailed off until the only places/courses left routinely interviewing were Oxford, Cambridge, and Medicine.. though I think at least some art schools still expect applicants to attend with a portfolio, and I'm not sure how things stand with Dentistry and Vet Med. Anyway, I would hazard that Edinburgh gave up interviewing around then or even more recently - so I doubt they'll want to reinstate it any time soon. It's expensive and time-consuming, and as far as I'm aware they haven't slid away downhill as a med school since they stopped interviewing. To me it's incredible (like.. wouldn't you want to make sure the person you're offering a place to can at least hold a conversation with a stranger?) but it seems to be working out for them alright.
Original post by *pitseleh*
Why are you so keen to avoid interviews? Because if it's a fear of being put on the spot or something, you'd be in a world of pain at medical school anyway if you couldn't get past it. The teaching style of the vast majority of the people who teach me involves putting students on the spot - not usually in a cruel way, but in a way that's calculated to make you think and squirm a bit nonetheless. And that's before you even start to think about patients and relatives putting you on the spot..

I wouldn't be so sure. Ten years ago, a huge number of courses still interviewed (including all manner of arts subjects). They gradually tailed off until the only places/courses left routinely interviewing were Oxford, Cambridge, and Medicine.. though I think at least some art schools still expect applicants to attend with a portfolio, and I'm not sure how things stand with Dentistry and Vet Med. Anyway, I would hazard that Edinburgh gave up interviewing around then or even more recently - so I doubt they'll want to reinstate it any time soon. It's expensive and time-consuming, and as far as I'm aware they haven't slid away downhill as a med school since they stopped interviewing. To me it's incredible (like.. wouldn't you want to make sure the person you're offering a place to can at least hold a conversation with a stranger?) but it seems to be working out for them alright.

Ah fe then. I remember when Soton also didn't interview so I just assumed the trend was going towards interviewing 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by *pitseleh*
Anyway, I would hazard that Edinburgh gave up interviewing around then or even more recently - so I doubt they'll want to reinstate it any time soon. It's expensive and time-consuming, and as far as I'm aware they haven't slid away downhill as a med school since they stopped interviewing. To me it's incredible (like.. wouldn't you want to make sure the person you're offering a place to can at least hold a conversation with a stranger?) but it seems to be working out for them alright.

Ah fe then. I remember when Soton also didn't interview so I just assumed the trend was going towards interviewing 😊
Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, it's quite possible that Edinburgh may start to interview soon :tongue:

Interviews
We are currently considering changes to selection, which may include the introduction of interviews. Further information will be made available online as soon as possible.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=A100&cw_xml=degree.php

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep.. you could be right. Perhaps Soton felt like they were losing their competitive edge or something, but so long as Edinburgh don't feel the same way, I don't reckon they'll go to the trouble of that extra expense and time. Just a thought, though. :smile:
Original post by Clubba
Actually, it's quite possible that Edinburgh may start to interview soon :tongue:

Interviews
We are currently considering changes to selection, which may include the introduction of interviews. Further information will be made available online as soon as possible.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=A100&cw_xml=degree.php

Oh, no way! My bad - I apologise for my ill-informed babbling. :lol:
Dont understand how a medical school wouldn't want to interview students prior if I'm being honest...
Grades, UKCAT and being able to whip up a well written PS doesn't show personal skills etc.
People are more likely to fail an OSCE than a written exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending