Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Love vs uni! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I know My best mate went through exactly the same with her bf as he was starting uni a year before her - it was total hell for her and for him in a way too.
    well we broke up in oct - didnt see eachother till jan - he ebded up crying saying he still loved me - i did the same. he left - we didnt speak much for ages. i asked him if he wanted to come to my leavers ball as friends - he spent the whole night touching up my best mate - i'm not going to contact him again. we were together a year and 9 months b4 we broke up

ReputationRep:
    Aw wow, hope it works out for you guys! How long have you been together? How old are you both? Sorry for the questions - just have so many people telling me that I should ditch my bf for uni that it's really nice to hear of others who are making it work too Good luck!
    I'm 19, he's 28. I know *SHOCK HORROR!* We've been together 2 and a half years now. He lives in Nottingham and i'm in London so moving in together is a big step, but hopefully we're ready! The thing i'm worried about most is missing out because i'm not living in halls. If it wasn't for my boyfriend i wouldn't even be going to uni, i couldn't ditch him just like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    EEEEEEE! We were 10 hours away for the first term though and it was horribly - I was almost tempted to stray... :eek:
    10 hours! Wow, that must have been incredibly tough. Hopefully it's made you stronger in the end though... but did you feel you missed out on anything on maintaining a relationship with an absent partner whilst meeting loads of new people at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you sound exactly like me and my boyfriend! I'll be about 3 hours away from him at uni, and then back round the corner during all the holidays, so we're hoping it'll be okay. But as we're currently living literally a couple of streets apart, I'm dreading it, and it's going to be so hard not having him around all the time...
    My bf lived with us for a year and a half before I went off to uni and it was so hard going from seeing him every minute to not seeing him at all. *remembers* it was so awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    any particular reason for the specificity?
    In the poll questions?
    I didn't think there were too many other possible answers....??

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you sound exactly like me and my boyfriend! I'll be about 3 hours away from him at uni, and then back round the corner during all the holidays, so we're hoping it'll be okay. But as we're currently living literally a couple of streets apart, I'm dreading it, and it's going to be so hard not having him around all the time...
    Well, we actually already live about a 45min to 1 hr bus journey away already (by train it can come close to 2 hrs!!! Although most of that is spent waiting to change stations - we actually live quite close). So when we move away, we may only be three times as far away. However, it is completely different as I see her almost every day now, and I obviously wont when I'm in London.

ReputationRep:
    but did you feel you missed out on anything on maintaining a relationship with an absent partner whilst meeting loads of new people at uni?
    Nope! Although, as I said, I was very tempted once (I had the opportunity) but realised it was just cause I wanted to have hugs and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    get a grip, just get a grip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    hahaha, to become obbsessed and hypnotised by one person?

love is defunct and selfish - there's no point in it ! apart from sex
    Actually, theres no point in sex, apart from love!!

Back at ya!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I'm 19, he's 28. I know *SHOCK HORROR!* We've been together 2 and a half years now. He lives in Nottingham and i'm in London so moving in together is a big step, but hopefully we're ready! The thing i'm worried about most is missing out because i'm not living in halls. If it wasn't for my boyfriend i wouldn't even be going to uni, i couldn't ditch him just like that!
    Good for you guys, I think you deserve lots of luck and encouragement I'm worried about missing out too by spending time with my bf when he comes up to visit and maybe not playing as big a part in uni life.... but I guess they're worth the sacrifice right?!

ReputationRep:
    grrrrrrr i don't like this topic! i'm proper stressing about being 5 hours apart (and there is no option of moving closer together, we are both on uni courses) *cries that she never meant to get this serious before uni and it was only meant to be a bit of fun*lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Nope! Although, as I said, I was very tempted once (I had the opportunity) but realised it was just cause I wanted to have hugs and stuff.
    Thats great Blissy, has given me hope!

ReputationRep:
    My bf lived with us for a year and a half before I went off to uni and it was so hard going from seeing him every minute to not seeing him at all. *remembers* it was so awful
    Ooh, don't It's going to be hell for me too, I'm used to him turning up on my doorstep pretty much everyday - but if we're strong enough we'll get through it I guess. And we're both quite independent people so it might be good for us to have the space. Aaarghh

ReputationRep:
    Good for you! But yeah, I can imagine really missing all the physical stuff after being used to constant hugs and kisses for the past couple of years... but then again, if it's not with him, it wouldn't be the same anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    well we broke up in oct - didnt see eachother till jan - he ebded up crying saying he still loved me - i did the same. he left - we didnt speak much for ages. i asked him if he wanted to come to my leavers ball as friends - he spent the whole night touching up my best mate - i'm not going to contact him again. we were together a year and 9 months b4 we broke up

you reduced your lover to a bumbling wreck, lol, love doesn't exist only selfish and weird obbsession

ReputationRep:
    Good for you guys, I think you deserve lots of luck and encouragement I'm worried about missing out too by spending time with my bf when he comes up to visit and maybe not playing as big a part in uni life.... but I guess they're worth the sacrifice right?!
    I think he is! I just don't let him know that too much . I think he is making a big commitment by moving to be with me and he's been there for me a lot in the past. I really hope it works for you. I want to be updated with all the goss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    *cries that she never meant to get this serious before uni and it was only meant to be a bit of fun*lou xxx
    Hehe, I so know what you mean! Met my bf when I was 16 and loving being single and having the time of my life - never ever dreamed it would lead to this...! I always just assumed I wouldn't have a long-term relationship til uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    you reduced your lover to a bumbling wreck, lol, love doesn't exist only selfish and weird obbsession
    you don;t have a clue - i didn't reduce him to anything. i just wouldn't hug him

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, don't It's going to be hell for me too, I'm used to him turning up on my doorstep pretty much everyday - but if we're strong enough we'll get through it I guess. And we're both quite independent people so it might be good for us to have the space. Aaarghh
    Our relationship has changed in a really good way because of it. I was starting to feel like I was just being dependent because I thought noone else would ever have me and that changed. So, I know it sound silly but all the temptation and worrying what he was doing has actually made us both chill out loads and not be jealous. It's nice to have a not-so-intense relationship. I feel it's more "grown up" now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    grrrrrrr i don't like this topic! i'm proper stressing about being 5 hours apart (and there is no option of moving closer together, we are both on uni courses) *cries that she never meant to get this serious before uni and it was only meant to be a bit of fun*lou xxx
    Thats exactly how we feel. We even made a semi-agreement that we'd split up before going to uni (well, we openly talked about it). However, we were just getting started then, and now we realise how much we mean to each other!!

In a weird way, I wish I'd never met her. But in a more logical way, I'm glad I did.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.