Turn on thread page Beta

The Definitive Contraception at University Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    Tough....the world doesn't revolve around u.

what do my carnal bedroom prefrences have to do with the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    what do my carnal bedroom prefrences have to do with the world?
    Pleh...if you willfully choose to misunderstand me, I shall try to be more literal. What I (obviously) meant, was that your question showed a high degree of self-centredness, and a lack of consideration for your potential partner (who I assume, you wouldn't want to get pregnant)

+ on a different note, STD's are yucky things....just looking at the pictures in my bio book makes me want to go join a nunnery.

ReputationRep:
    Pleh...if you willfully choose to misunderstand me, I shall try to be more literal. What I (obviously) meant, was that your question showed a high degree of self-centredness, and a lack of consideration for your potential partner (who I assume, you wouldn't want to get pregnant)

+ on a different note, STD's are yucky things....just looking at the pictures in my bio book makes me want to go join a nunnery.
    well, yes you are right , perhaps it is self-centred (but then again love is, but that's a different thread hehe)

what contraception do you reccommend as the most effective and not having a negative effect on the experience?

(by the way , you sounded like Isabella from Measure for Measure with that last sentence lol)

ReputationRep:
    Err, if youre in a long term relationship with someone, what the hell are you playing at making him use a condom? Go to a clinic, get both of you checked out, and then you can have condom free sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Err, if youre in a long term relationship with someone, what the hell are you playing at making him use a condom? Go to a clinic, get both of you checked out, and then you can have condom free sex.
    Hmmm...I suppose....but even the pill isn't 100% safe - I'd definitely be inclined to take the rather safe than sorry approach.

EDIT: On second thought...what do I know?....Nobody listen to me please.

ReputationRep:
    Waaaay ahead of you there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I'm not using anything at the moment because I'm single and I have some (perhaps entirely unfounded; I don't know till I do Pharm next year) paranoia about taking hormones when I don't need to. If I do get a boyfriend, then I will go on the Pill, and use condoms.
    I wasn't exactly over the moon about it either, but I have to put up with it for now as sometimes the pain is so bad that I can't think of anything else and have to lie down. After you do Pharm, you'll have to tell me the truth about the long term effects because I'm definitely concerned about them!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...I suppose....but even the pill isn't 100% safe - I'd definitely be inclined to take the rather safe than sorry approach.

Exactly. Condoms and the pill is much safer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I wasn't exactly over the moon about it either, but I have to put up with it for now as sometimes the pain is so bad that I can't think of anything else and have to lie down. After you do Pharm, you'll have to tell me the truth about the long term effects because I'm definitely concerned about them!
    Well, you are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer (or is that HRT? Can't remember) and of getting DVT, but the risk is still low, and as long as you don't smoke it should mostly be ok (obviously not universally, but smoking is a far greater risk factor than the Pill).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, you are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer (or is that HRT? Can't remember) and of getting DVT, but the risk is still low, and as long as you don't smoke it should mostly be ok (obviously not universally, but smoking is a far greater risk factor than the Pill).
    AFAIK you're at a higher risk for breast cancer with long-term pill use, but a lower risk of other cancers, e.g. ovarian. Your breast cancer risk also returns to normal after 10(?) years off the pill. Smoking in conjunction with the pill does make the risk of almost anything bad soar though. I'm not a medic, just a hypochondriac, so I insist on knowing the ins and outs of everything I put in my body and actually read all those leaflets that come with the pill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    AFAIK you're at a higher risk for breast cancer with long-term pill use, but a lower risk of other cancers, e.g. ovarian. Your breast cancer risk also returns to normal after 10(?) years off the pill. Smoking in conjunction with the pill does make the risk of almost anything bad soar though. I'm not a medic, just a hypochondriac, so I insist on knowing the ins and outs of everything I put in my body and actually read all those leaflets that come with the pill
    + an increased risk of bloodclots (is that two words, or does it have a hyphen?)

ReputationRep:

Theres always an abortion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Waaaay ahead of you there
    :eek: *Has a fit!*.....mrrrrr

*sulks*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I'm not a medic, just a hypochondriac, so I insist on knowing the ins and outs of everything I put in my body and actually read all those leaflets that come with the pill
    I plan to read all the stuff too.. but I'm not expecting to have to start it for a few days yet and I'm lazy Thanks everyone for the info, it'll tide me over until I get round to doing the reading!

ReputationRep:
    Did u seriously just say that? *is incredulous*

ReputationRep:
    :eek: *Has a fit!*.....mrrrrr

*sulks*
    aww, sorry
    *comforts shilling*

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because that's a responsible attitude towards contraception :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what the ratio is on this thread between those who actually get sex compared with those actually talking about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    i wonder what the ratio is on this thread between those who actually get sex compared with those actually talking about it
    I think quite a few people on this thread are in long term relationships, for your information, so probably quite a high ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    aww, sorry
    *comforts shilling*
    Pah! You're the one that insulted me! :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.