Look outward, not inwardly Watch

Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Or look outwardly .....

The Christian message turns other faiths on their heads with its message of look to help others not to yourselves for salvation.

God says I have restored you to myself therefore you are righteous. Go into the world and do what you can to help others as you have already been made clean.

Other world religions say you need to continually strive in this life to try and attain righteousness, which God says is impossible.

Does this mean other religions promote selfishness, a looking inwards at their lives to try and continually cleanse themselves from their sins which we know is an impossibility?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
other religions have been getting a bad press recently for doing nasty things to people ?
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
Or look outwardly .....
The Christian message turns other faiths on their heads with its message of look to help others not to yourselves for salvation.
God says I have restored you to myself therefore you are righteous. Go into the world and do what you can to help others as you have already been made clean.
Other world religions say you need to continually strive in this life to try and attain righteousness, which God says is impossible.
Does this mean other religions promote selfishness, a looking inwards at their lives to try and continually cleanse themselves from their sins which we know is an impossibility?
this **** too deep for this hr.
Name an example of a different religion you want to focus on, for starters.
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would if it was true, but it isn't.

I am not a theologian, but my own study of Buddhism has told me that you cannot strive to attain nirvana - you must let go of strife completely. That is one counter-example - there may be others.

Also, the idea that you should help others is not unique to Christianity e.g. Islam, and so you don't really have an argument here.
Racoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
It would if it was true, but it isn't.

I am not a theologian, but my own study of Buddhism has told me that you cannot strive to attain nirvana - you must let go of strife completely. That is one counter-example - there may be others.

Also, the idea that you should help others is not unique to Christianity e.g. Islam, and so you don't really have an argument here.

Ok, this might not be the best example but lets look at your own study of Buddhism. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I've only skimmed the surface.

The teachings are that the purpose of life is to end suffering.

Buddha taught that humans suffer because we continually strive after things that do not give lasting happiness (which as a Christian I agree with).

Would you agree therefore Buddhists are on a continual path to Enlightenment. This is down to their own journey and focusing all their own energies on accomplishing this end goal?

Buddah says focus on the Four Noble Truths by which they can free themselves from suffering.

Its all about what you can do for yourself?
Racoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
this **** too deep for this hr.
Name an example of a different religion you want to focus on, for starters.
Really, I didn't think it was deep at all.

What religion do you subscribe to and what do you have to do to attain righteousness with God?
Racoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
other religions have been getting a bad press recently for doing nasty things to people ?
They have.

What is the reasoning for their actions?
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
Ok, this might not be the best example but lets look at your own study of Buddhism. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I've only skimmed the surface.

The teachings are that the purpose of life is to end suffering.

Buddha taught that humans suffer because we continually strive after things that do not give lasting happiness (which as a Christian I agree with).

Would you agree therefore Buddhists are on a continual path to Enlightenment. This is down to their own journey and focusing all their own energies on accomplishing this end goal?

P.S:

Buddah says focus on the Four Noble Truths by which they can free themselves from suffering.

Its all about what you can do for yourself?
I agree that Buddhists are on a continual path to enlightenment, as we all are, but not that this means that Buddhism, when practiced, is all about what you can do for yourself. Here are the five precepts of Buddhism:

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from killing.
2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.
3. I undertake the training rule to avoid sensual misconduct.
4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.
5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.

Source: Wikipedia

Clearly, these precepts recommend what we call ethical behaviour towards other people. These are not promoted as 'laws' or 'commandments', but 'rules' which one can follow to help us to achieve our Dhamma mind. However, we must all find our own way - these are just the recommendations of ways to remove craving from our lives.

I also feel that should make very clear that in Buddhism, one cannot strive to reach Nirvana, since Nirvana is the absence of strife; it is through meditation and acceptance of the truth of our lives, along with practice of the precepts, that we remove strife from our lives and can reach our Nirvana.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads