The Student Room Group

Can my school force me to drop an AS subject at A2?

I am predicting i will get a BB in Law and Psychology (possibly A in psychology), and a E/D in Maths. I already have a D* in BTEC Business AS. Can my school force me to drop Maths (it currently says you need three passes to continue to A2 which is 3 E's). i REALLY cant afford to drop Maths, i plan to do much better next year, i need it its so important considering i want to stidy Economics, could my school potientially force me to drop it?
Original post by SunDun111
I am predicting i will get a BB in Law and Psychology (possibly A in psychology), and a E/D in Maths. I already have a D* in BTEC Business AS. Can my school force me to drop Maths (it currently says you need three passes to continue to A2 which is 3 E's). i REALLY cant afford to drop Maths, i plan to do much better next year, i need it its so important considering i want to stidy Economics, could my school potientially force me to drop it?

You can only be forced to drop a subject if you don't meet the pass grade (I think it's D or E for Maths, can't remember which). But I would seriously have a think about Maths, if you're expecting a D/E this year, I can promise you will find next year a real struggle. I've just finished my A2 exams - I got an A in AS Maths and I think I may have dropped down to a C overall because of how much I struggled with A2. It is so much harder than AS (I did OCR, don't know what board you're on), and if you only get a D/E this year you may find it hard to bring that grade up to what uni's will accept for economics degrees
Reply 2
[QUOTE="franzorb;57532553"]You can only be forced to drop a subject if you don't meet the pass grade (I think it's D or E for Maths, can't remember which). But I would seriously have a think about Maths, if you're expecting a D/E this year, I can promise you will find next year a real struggle. I've just finished my A2 exams - I got an A in AS Maths and I think I may have dropped down to a C overall because of how much I struggled with A2. It is so much harder than AS (I did OCR, don't know what board you're on), and if you only get a D/E this year you may find it hard to bring that grade up to what uni's will accept for economics degrees[/QUOTE

Its only an E at my school. We are with AQA. I dont want to make any excuses but in core 1, i reckon i got an A, in Mechanics i reckon i got atleast a B, but core 2 was poorly taughty to us (we learned logarithms around 2 lessons before the exam), therefore me along with most people think i've failed it completley. I understand where youj are comign from but i am absolutley motivated to nail down and try really hard next year to push it up.
They probably can't FORCE you to drop it, but they might be able to refuse to accept you into their A2 classes or allow you to sit the exams in that school - check their policies on what counts as good enough grades to continue onto A2. Officially, an E is a pass - however at my school those who got Es were usually recommended to drop that subject, perhaps retake the year if they'd done badly in everything or consider switching to more suitable AS levels/ BTECs/ whatever. They didn't FORCE anyone to do this though, it just really was't recommended to continue studying to A2. A2 is a lot harder than AS (particularly for Maths) so if you are already struggling now it may be a sign that it isn't the right subject for you (and therefore also a sign that an Economics degree, which is very maths heavy, isn't for you either...).
[QUOTE="SunDun111;57532659"]
Original post by franzorb
You can only be forced to drop a subject if you don't meet the pass grade (I think it's D or E for Maths, can't remember which). But I would seriously have a think about Maths, if you're expecting a D/E this year, I can promise you will find next year a real struggle. I've just finished my A2 exams - I got an A in AS Maths and I think I may have dropped down to a C overall because of how much I struggled with A2. It is so much harder than AS (I did OCR, don't know what board you're on), and if you only get a D/E this year you may find it hard to bring that grade up to what uni's will accept for economics degrees[/QUOTE

Its only an E at my school. We are with AQA. I dont want to make any excuses but in core 1, i reckon i got an A, in Mechanics i reckon i got atleast a B, but core 2 was poorly taughty to us (we learned logarithms around 2 lessons before the exam), therefore me along with most people think i've failed it completley. I understand where youj are comign from but i am absolutley motivated to nail down and try really hard next year to push it up.

If you feel that C2 let you down, always bear in mind you can resit it next year (I'd advise resitting both C1 and C2 next year if you do A2 Maths, as you'll find it much easier after a year of A2). However, I said to myself last year the same thing as you're saying now, that I was going to knuckle down and really work to get a good grade in Maths (didn't need it for uni, but it really would've helped). But I really was surprised at the step up. C3, and particularly C4, are very difficult if you aren't inherently good at maths. I guess that applies across all exam boards. If you genuinely feel that you can get yourself a good grade in maths to do an economics degree (you'll probably need to do a fair amount of maths in that), maybe it might be a good idea to have a look at and prepare for the A2 syllabus over the summer holidays?
Reply 5
[QUOTE="franzorb;57534431"]
Original post by SunDun111

If you feel that C2 let you down, always bear in mind you can resit it next year (I'd advise resitting both C1 and C2 next year if you do A2 Maths, as you'll find it much easier after a year of A2). However, I said to myself last year the same thing as you're saying now, that I was going to knuckle down and really work to get a good grade in Maths (didn't need it for uni, but it really would've helped). But I really was surprised at the step up. C3, and particularly C4, are very difficult if you aren't inherently good at maths. I guess that applies across all exam boards. If you genuinely feel that you can get yourself a good grade in maths to do an economics degree (you'll probably need to do a fair amount of maths in that), maybe it might be a good idea to have a look at and prepare for the A2 syllabus over the summer holidays?

I've started doing c3 and decision maths I've covered a topic already, I want to be a few steps ahead, cheers for advice

Quick Reply

Latest