The Student Room Group

Muslim Tourist takes selfie in ‪Brighton‬, arrested on ‪terrorism‬ offences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
But why do we need to cautious of a man snapchatting into a phone in his mother tongue in a public place?

because sadly some muslims have been trying to blow a lot of people up in this country so discussing mosque bomb attacks and the numbers of dead while outside a shopping center (a known target for muslims to go on a killing spree) isn't the best thing to do at the moment

you do know don't you that we have on average 1 muslim a day is arrested for terrorist related offenses in the UK

approx 50 major plots have been stopped since 7/7

But have you ever thought as he was speaking Arabic it was a fellow Arabic speaker who raised the alarm?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PopaPork
because sadly some muslims have been trying to blow a lot of people up in this country so discussing mosque bomb attacks and the numbers of dead while outside a shopping center (a known target for muslims to go on a killing spree) isn't the best thing to do at the moment

you do know don't you that we have on average 1 muslim a day is arrested for terrorist related offenses in the UK

approx 50 major plots have been stopped since 7/7

But have you ever thought as he was speaking Arabic it was a fellow Arabic speaker who raised the alarm?

Ohhhhhh, so him speaking in his own language condemning an attack in his own country makes him a potential terrorist? Glad you cleared that up for me.

Anyone who could speak Arabic would also surely listen to the rest of what he was saying and realise he was talking about an attack in his own country and wasn't a threat. More likely some EDL thug reported him for speaking Arabic.

So 365 people out of what, a million Muslims in the UK are potential terrorists which means we should arrest anyone speaking Arabic in a public place? Does that mean any white skinhead in a tracksuit talking about a mugging should also be arrested too? I'm certain the proportion of white skinheads committing crimes to the overall white skinhead population is higher than thee proportion of potential terrorists to Middle Easterns in the UK...
Original post by Green_Pink

(Original post by Leanney)
Hmm. An ISIS flag was being held by someone outside parliament the other day and the police "couldn't do anything" yet they can arrest a Muslim for taking a video?

Well, quite right they couldn't do anything if there was no reason to think he was going to commit a crime...

False.

Regarding ISIS flag guy...

s13(1) of the Terrorism Act 2000

13Uniform.(1)A person in a public place commits an offence if he—(a)wears an item of clothing, or(b)wears, carries or displays an article,in such a way or in such circumstances as to arouse reasonable suspicion that he is a member or supporter of a proscribed organisation.

From the statement regarding the flag incident:

"Wearing, carrying or displaying of an emblem or flag, by itself, is not an offence unless; the way in which, or the circumstance in which, the emblem is worn, carried or displayed is such as to cause reasonable suspicion that the person is a supporter or member of a proscribed organisation.

"While support of and membership of ISIS is unlawful it is not a criminal offence to advocate the creation of an independent state."

I'd say it was enough to show resonable suspicion that he was a supporter of ISIS. And according to the Home Office ISIS is a proscribed organisation.

OR, if not under the Terrorism Act, then a Public Order Offence. (from the statement regarding this incident.):

The Public Order Act states that a person is guilty if he: "Displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

I'd say the the flag is a "sign" or "visible representation" of a threatening group, is viewed as a threat after the barbaric acts we have seen them do on the news whilst carrying this flag, the threats of slaughter towards us, and the timing of this incident, this flag would likely cause alarm or distress to the public.

Finally:

A Home Office spokesman said: “ISIS is a proscribed group. Showing signs you are a supporter of that group is an offence.

"It was an operational decision and we cannot comment on individual cases."
(edited 8 years ago)
Ohhhhhh, so him speaking in his own language condemning an attack in his own country makes him a potential terrorist? Glad you cleared that up for me.

Anyone who could speak Arabic would also surely listen to the rest of what he was saying and realise he was talking about an attack in his own country and wasn't a threat. More likely some EDL thug reported him for speaking Arabic.

So 365 people out of what, a million Muslims in the UK are potential terrorists which means we should arrest anyone speaking Arabic in a public place? Does that mean any white skinhead in a tracksuit talking about a mugging should also be arrested too? I'm certain the proportion of white skinheads committing crimes to the overall white skinhead population is higher than thee proportion of potential terrorists to Middle Easterns in the UK...

I see a lot of 'what if's' and a massive chunk of 'victim' but little fact

you can play victim if you like and cry 'the horror' of it all

meanwhile I will support the police for trying to do a difficult job in a hard time as will most of the people in this country

Don't like it you are free to find one more to your tastes
Original post by PopaPork
I see a lot of 'what if's' and a massive chunk of 'victim' but little fact

you can play victim if you like and cry 'the horror' of it all

meanwhile I will support the police for trying to do a difficult job in a hard time as will most of the people in this country

Don't like it you are free to find one more to your tastes

I don't want this country, my country, to end up like the USA in terms of police powers. Sure, it's a tough job, but we are gradually losing our rights as the police are given more freedoms under the threat of terrorism. This guy had done nothing wrong yet was detained seemingly for speaking in his own language. Are you honestly so clouded by your hatred of all things middle Eastern and muslim that you genuinely think what happened is OK?

I'm not worried for myself, as a white non-religious male from a normal background i have nothing to be afraid of, but what happened is not right and shouldn't be protected under this "better safe than sorry" notion, otherwise we will end up a spied on society as is slowly happening
Exactly the same as stop and search - you cannot agree with one without agreeing with the other.

This chap was racially profiled by the authorities.
This guy had done nothing wrong yet was detained seemingly for speaking in his own language. Are you honestly so clouded by your hatred of all things middle Eastern and muslim that you genuinely think what happened is OK?

again you seem to be just guessing at the reasons here

But yes I do think the police have a duty to protect us and as long as we can challenge them to ensure they are acting within the law then yes they did nothing wrong

and FYI I would feel the same had it been a skinhead talking about mosque attacks outside a mosque while filming himself.
Original post by missfats
Keep doing this and you will see muslims flocking to ISIL

Posted from TSR Mobile

any excuse will do
Reply 68
For those of you that believe speaking in Arabic (or any other foreign language associated with the Middle East and Muslims in general) made the man 'suspicious'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCEBWkLwqc
Reply 69
Original post by A5ko
Come on people wake up!

Our police are just being vigilant! I mean you act as if our police chase innocent people through train stations and then execute them!

That incident at Stockwell Station was too sad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending