How have exams affected your mental health?

Watch
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33380155
This article argues that the focus on exams is 'damaging pupils' mental health and self-esteem'.

It's clear that there is a strong correlation between exams and high levels of stress. However, it isn't clear whether any mental health issues are already present, and are worsened by exams, or if the stress of exams are a cause of mental illness.

Either way, exams can put a lot of pressure on students, especially as they're mostly becoming linear.

My questions to you are:
How have you been affected by exam pressure?
and
What advice would you give to those who will be taking exams in the near future?
Lularose83
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found exams immensely stressful in the lead up but less so once I was actually sitting them. My advice would be to remember that there's always the possibility to do resits if things go wrong and START EARLY- months in advance (for AS/A2) so that you don't cram the night before-->suffer from sleep deprivation-->eat junk food, hence becoming ill more easily--> feel awful in the exam--> lowered concentration

katy456
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, exams have really effected me. They have given me social anxiety which to me is a huge mental condition. I honestly wish I didnt even bother with them, they are not worth it. Im going into Year 13 next year and I promise myself that I am not going to be so stressed
Cakeyygirl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found doing my GCSEs incredibly hard... i was going through a major break up at the time and I was pretty much heart broken and zoned out.... i think i could of done so much better if i didnt have some things on my mind at the time... but life goes on...
domlang123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was a pretty stressful time for me and the family between March and June this year (AS level exams.) On top of the revision, which I tried to start as early as possible, there was also homework to do, so I had virtually no free time to myself, and the stress levels kept on rising. The amount of pressure we're all put under is just too much. I know when I get my results in August that they won't be as good as I hope.
username1799509
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've never been stressed by exams, nervous prior to taking them though. Thankfully my uni course is 100% coursework so I don't need to worry about it anymore :P
jlawson118
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For me it has caused a lot of stress. I got D's in Maths and English in high school and I resat English last year and was three marks off which stressed me out and upset me to a point where this year where I needed more time for other commitments, I had to go to numerous English classes and I'm still not convinced I've passed the exam this year.

So there is no guarantee I'm going to get a university place this year and I'm also struggling to find work. I need money soon and I really am stressed and panicking about what I'm going to do now, it really is just getting me down in the dumps and I can't sleep, and the more I can't sleep the more anxious I'm also getting.
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They haven't. I'm stressed during exam period but that's it.
ActuallyIDo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't even want to think about them tbh
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They do nothing, i quite enjoyed my AS exams, felt like i was actually making good use of my time for once.
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel drained, just completely drained of all energy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads