Help needed with stats for dissertation

Watch
xstarxsparklex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I posted this earlier in what I now think might have been the wrong area (oops). Aaaand copy and paste:

I'm currently reading many-a-study for my literature review-based dissertation. My stats knowledge from my prior degree is a little rusty and I'm struggling to interpret the analysis in one paper in particular (one of the few findings the author chose not to discuss).

Basically, the study, among many other things, has used self-report questionnaires to look at the influence of demographic, social and psychological factors on the prevalence of self-harm in a cross-section of adolescents. The authors have conducted a logistic regression, univariate and multivariate analysis for each factor.

The factor I am interested in is 'student does not live with biological parent or relative'. The univariate analysis shows an OR of 1.93, p<.01, 95% CI 1.44-2.58 whilst the multivariate analysis shows an OR of 1.27, p is not significant, 95% CI 0.90-1.8.

What does this mean in relation to the correlation between not living with a biological parent or relative and self-harming behaviour? Why is there significance in the univariate but not the multivariate analysis?

Any help would be much appreciated! My poor brain is bamboozled
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (40)
18.02%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13.06%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads