Anyone thinking of studying in the USA? Watch

This discussion is closed.
iluvthesun
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
it's often really expensive, but what are the plus sides?
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was thinking of going there to study, but got put off by certain things.
1) You have to be over 21 to drink, and get into must bars/clubs, and going to uni without alcohol would kinda suck if you ask me.
2) Its well expensive, both to live out there, and for the actual education.
3) Its also pretty complicated to apply, not to mention having to get a visa from the US gov, which is apparently quite hard,and complicated

It would still be pretty cool though, and there are probably loads of advantages, such as meeting loads of new people, and going somewhere different. it would probably also be pretty good, to show a future employer that you have a knowledge of another culture, and the US way of life.

Phil
sunny
Report 15 years ago
Hi Guys!

well I decided that I really wanna go back to the states and study there. I wanted to study medicine there so badly that I even filled out my entire application forms for all the colleges as well as the MCAT forms...BUT then I sat down and calculated how much it would cost me, and to b honest it was very expensive. So now im gonna go to Bristol or St Georges and then go to the states after ive got my degree. I use to live in the states -in maine up north- very eautiful, and so i know how that, that is the place i wanna go whem im older to settle down.

anyways gotta go as im in india at the mo traveling and theres lots of ppl waiting to use the computer. Cya.

sunny x
Unregistered1
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Im thinking of going to study in the US for a year as part of my 3 year course. There is an option in the 2nd year to go for the whole year or just a term. I think it would be a whole new experience although i realise it will be very expensive. The drinking aspect doesnt bother me, im not the biggest drinker anyway, there will always be someone willing to go buy it for you and in some states the age is 18 anyway.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but I reckon that going down the pub with a couple of mates, and having a couple of pints, is a great way to spend an evening, but I admit, I didn't know that the age was 18 in some states. What course are you looking at, and at what UK uni? Also, do you know what US Uni they transfer you to.

I'm hoping to go on to do a years study in the USA as a postgraduate, to get an MBA, cause I'd love to spend a year in the US.

Cheers,
Phil
iluvthesun
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered1
Im thinking of going to study in the US for a year as part of my 3 year course. There is an option in the 2nd year to go for the whole year or just a term.
you guys are so lucky!

i don't think med schools give their students a chance to study abroad because of the workload. after pre-clinical, i'm thinking of taking 2 years out to do a phd in the states before coming back and starting the clinical course. apparently, lots of people do that, since studying as a graduate is much cheaper than as an undergraduate.
____
Mace
alpha
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered1
in some states the age is 18 anyway.
No the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) is 21 in every state
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would love to study in the USA, in fact I applied to lacaster uni because they said you could spend your second year either there or in canada.

Then I drove all the way up to the open day, and when there asked about the year in the USA and was basically told 'Yeah some students have done that before, we can give you some unis over there to contact if you like, or you could try others and see if they would have you'

I was then told that people go on their own, whereas I thought that a group of people from engineering would all be sent to the same place together, like a proper exchange trip and everyone would have a laugh and it would be cool. How they do it sounds stupid.

So after all it was a waste of a UCAS choice, a day off work, and a tank of petrol. There were a lot of things that I liked about lancaster, but for some reason it felt like being back at school, maybe because it looks like a school?
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
exeter can send u to luoisianna if u like in 3rd year engineering
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cool, I would like! I knew they did europe but I hadn't heard USA.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.41%
No (476)
60.87%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.72%

Watched Threads