The Student Room Group

NCS??

hey guys

okay so basically i was going to do the NCS challenge this summer but due to some circumstances i can't. Am pretty upset about it as i was looking forward to it but anyway am i losing out on a huge opportunity? honestly the only reason why i wanted to do it is because i wanted something good to write on my ucas application.
are universities crazy about NCS?
but other than that i am doing some work experience during the last two weeks of school, Am also thinking of going to some lectures and am also thinking of doing EPQ but am not sure all these stuff are good things to write about on my ucas. i feel really guilty that am not taking part of the ncs,but anyway my question is

how much do universities value the ncs challenge and am i risking a huge opportunity?
are the things mentioned above enough to make my personal statement look good (obviously not just that)
and is there anything else i can do this summer? i want to study psychology at uni so maybe anything linked to that?

thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Personally, I think not doing NCS is absolutely fine. You are definitely not risking a huge opportunity. Yes them things are going to make your personal statement look great!
Anything else? well, you've got your work experience, but you could always look for more work experience too maybe a couple more days or something.
Universities are not crazy about NCS, not at all.
The main thing they want to know is if your smart enough academically and have a good work ethic.
Get your grades, and the things you have already listed are fine.
It doesn't matter if you did 100 extra curricular activities, if universities cant see what skills you've acquired from them then whats the point?
What else to do for the summer? chill, relax and enjoy your time of freedom. When September starts its stress for a whole 2 years, just take a nice long break!

thank you for the reply! :smile: i definitely feel at peace now :biggrin:
Reply 2
I would say NCS is a good opportunity to see how living away at uni is like (Particularly in the second week when you are staying at a uni resident with a weekly budget and have to cook for yourself) if you were unsure about how independent living might be like. And maybe even for gaining team work skills. But I wouldn't say you are missing a huge opportunity to put on your UCAS personal statement especially since there are so many other things you could probably write about like your work experience will be a great example.

Quick Reply

Latest