My work here

Is done.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's brave of you
Which subjects and what course?
Original post by Lady Comstock
I have AAA* in three "academic" subjects. However, I have taken the unusual step of applying for London Met as my first choice.

I want to protest this notion of "elite" universities and arbitrary rankings. I think it contributes to the wealth and class gap in society, and I would feel complicit going to one of these universities. Universities should be centres of learning, where kids from all backgrounds (including poor, under-performing schools) should be able to go and receive the same standard of education as a kid from a fee-paying, high-performing school.

You moron
If you really want to fight the power, you should attend Mogadishu University. That's sure to turn some heads.
I have AAA* in three "academic" subjects. However, I have taken the unusual step of applying for London Met as my first choice.

I want to protest this notion of "elite" universities and arbitrary rankings. I think it contributes to the wealth and class gap in society, and I would feel complicit going to one of these universities. Universities should be centres of learning, where kids from all backgrounds (including poor, under-performing schools) should be able to go and receive the same standard of education as a kid from a fee-paying, high-performing school.

I mean, that's really brave of you and you know, good on you, but that is such a silly decision to make considering what weight the name and so on of your institution carries when you leave university and try to get a job.
I thoroughly believe in destroying the system from the inside. Why don't you take up my ideology? :wink:

You are clearly quite smart academically, but you're a bit stupid aren't you?
I really hope you're joking
Noble but a stupid choice my friend. One person doing it with no attention being attracted is just going to destroy your chances in the current climate I'm afraid. University prestige is a thing that will never go away. Congrats for being brave though, you have no one to blame but yourself if a job declines you even if you're a perfect candidate because you chose to go to a bad uni to prove a point. Brave but foolish
So you took a pointless, empty gesture which will get almost no-one's attention against a basically justified system (the best universities with the most rigorous courses are seen as most desirable... what injustice!), likely at your own great expense.

If this is real you're not brave or noble, you're just weird.
Reply 11
nah this seals it, TSR is the best site on the net.
I really hope that you're trolling mate, what a crap way to protest
Original post by Perol
stop following me and trying to impose your lifestyle on me, leave me alone and stop harassing me. Do you wan't me to report?

The back story for this post must be hilarious!! What happened between you two?
Reply 14
Lol
Come on OP, you can troll better than that :biggrin:
I don't think this is entirely stupid as people make it out to be. If OP is not aiming to break into the banking/law industry where employers only look for "target universities", then this can be a smart move to take if he/she decides to go.

OP clearly meets the UCAS requirements for any graduate scheme, and going to a low ranked university will make it so much easier to get a 1st class degree classification. As such, he/she can work part time and get involved in lots of EC (very useful when answering interview q's) without getting stressed with exams. Maths at Oxford is in a completely differently league with Maths at Oxford Brookes.
Has no one else noticed the word 'applied' in the OP?

You have 5 choices, with those grades you could do this and still actually attend a decent uni.

But yeah, this is just trolling TSR's sweet spot.
Reply 18
Funniest thing I've heard in ages

@difeo @Depleted @jam277
Original post by Le Nombre
Has no one else noticed the word 'applied' in the OP?

You have 5 choices, with those grades you could do this and still actually attend a decent uni.

But yeah, this is just trolling TSR's sweet spot.

We did but she did say, "first choice"...

Quick Reply