The Student Room Group

what happend if can't fulfill the condition

hello, i get a conditional offer from southampton university for the second year entry. the condition is i must get 6.5 in ielts exam. i've booked the ielts but i want to know if i can't get that mark what will happend? because i have a good academic average(90%) in first year but i worry about that i can't get that mark and i don't have any idea about what will be happend next.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mhn70
hello, i get a conditional offer from southampton university for the second year entry. the condition is i must get 6.5 in ielts exam. i've booked the ielts but i want to know if i can't get that mark what will happend? because i have a good academic average(90%) in first year but i worry about that i can't get that mark and i don't have any idea about what will be happend next.
If you don't meet the offer conditions - ie the 6.5 in IELTS then the university is not obliged to confirm your place. Once you have notified the result to the uni, if you have achieved 6.5 or better the uni will change your offer to 'unconditional' on your UCAS Track. If you haven't achieved the required 6.5, the uni may still accept you - in which case your offer will turn 'unconditional', but if they decide they won't accept you your Track will show 'unsuccessful'.
Original post by mhn70

With IELTS universities are usually not flexible. If your English isn't good enough they know you will struggle.

Most people advise taking IELTS in the spring so you have time to resut if you don't score highly enough. If you've left it late then you may not have any options if you don't do well. Can you stay on your current course?
Reply 3
thank you for replying. yes i can stay in my course but i think that is the worst thing if i lose my offer i already book the ielts exam but i'm not sure i can get 6.5 in overall or not. because of that i've open this thread because i have to condition in my offer one get 65% in average which i get 90% but about ielts i don't have any idea i got 6 in ielts and my english improved during this year but most of my friend told me take ielts in UK is much harder than the other country because of that i'm worry.
Reply 4
Good luck with your IELTS exam.

Without any preparations I scored an overall 7.5 [7.5-7.5-7.5-6.5(writing)]

I have found it very exhausting though.

Be very careful with the open questions such as 'what do you think about pedestrianization of the city centers'. I bet that my mini essay was marked by some crazy cyclist, hence the result.

I do worry a bit regarding my application for Adult Nursing (Southampton), as they want a minimum 7.0 in each component.
Reply 5
you get a good mark after all. just 0.5 is not that much important. this saturday i have ielts exam i hope be able to get that result.
Reply 6
Good morning!
One of my friends received his IELTS results today. Unfortunately he scored a 6.5 in writing and the thing is the university we have applied says it needs 7 in every component. Do you know anything about whether they accept this? Or should my friend take the exam again? :/
Original post by mvdimi
Good morning!
One of my friends received his IELTS results today. Unfortunately he scored a 6.5 in writing and the thing is the university we have applied says it needs 7 in every component. Do you know anything about whether they accept this? Or should my friend take the exam again? :/

He need to ask them - no one can answer on TSR.
Original post by mvdimi
Good morning!
IELTS tends to be one of the areas where universities are inflexible, especially when it comes to writing. They want to know that you can write to an appropriate academic standard. Contact the university and ask them directly what you should do.
Reply 9
oh man i get 6 in overall but i just need 0.5 to achive 6.5 you think they will accept me?
OK, you can call me lucky.

Uni has accepted me (and a place has been confirmed), under one condition: before Feb 2016 I must provide them with the IELTS certificate 7.0 or they will withdraw me from the course.
Reply 11
thanks for your attention but i will go to the surrey university actually i don't want to see IELTS again :smile:. i wish surrey Uni be as good as the guardian ranking said.
Surrey? Their admission team is a laughing stock. Between 15 of Feb and a 30th of May they have changed their decision regarding my application FIVE times: "no-wait a moment-yes-nope sorry, we've made a mistake-yes, please". Eventually I have made a decision and did not turned up on their assessment day. The way how they treat their candidates is appalling.

My complaint has been handled by the person I was complaining at. Is this a serious institution??
Original post by 10011001
OK, you can call me lucky.

Uni has accepted me (and a place has been confirmed), under one condition: before Feb 2016 I must provide them with the IELTS certificate 7.0 or they will withdraw me from the course.

Which I duly did, but it took me 2 attempts:

L: 8.0 R:7.0 W:8.0 S:7.5

No more IELTS :-)
Original post by 10011001
Which I duly did, but it took me 2 attempts:

L: 8.0 R:7.0 W:8.0 S:7.5

No more IELTS :-)
Well done :smile:
Original post by Minerva
Well done :smile:

Thank you!

It really surprises me that within a month my hearing has improved, reading ability receded greatly from 8.5 to 7, handwriting become more legible (6.5 to 8!) and my speaking has dropped about 1 point.

This test is an absurd, honestly. :-)
Check whether they offer a pre-sessional language course, I think most UK universities have this.
Original post by 515825732
Check whether they offer a pre-sessional language course, I think most UK universities have this.

Yes, but not for the EU students :frown:
I'm already after my first semester, really happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending