Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this any better? To get the area under the curve you have to integrate y with respect to dx, you can get an equation for dx by differentiating x, and you just need to change the bounds by plugging the x values into the original equation.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    këgfëëëëëëëëëëﺮﻬ◦
    You're welcome (I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Is this any better? To get the area under the curve you have to integrate y with respect to dx, you can get an equation for dx by differentiating x, and you just need to change the bounds by plugging the x values into the original equation.
    Are you sure that's right? It can't be that simple surely. Are you subtracting the area of the circle, from the triangle? Have you taken the tangent into consideration?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that's right? It can't be that simple surely. Are you subtracting the area of the circle, from the triangle? Have you taken the tangent into consideration?
    Yeh I integrated the tangent earlier, and got an answer of -50, in the last post I just did the area under the integrated curve -(-50)..the thing I just did there was to show the substitution bit which you said you didnt follow?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I integrated the tangent earlier, and got an answer of -50, in the last post I just did the area under the integrated curve -(-50)..the thing I just did there was to show the substitution bit which you said you didnt follow?
    I understand the way you did it, it's just the way its displayed that I had a problem with. Anyway, I hope she posts the answers on, I'm off to bed.

ReputationRep:
    I understand the way you did it, it's just the way its displayed that I had a problem with. Anyway, I hope she posts the answers on, I'm off to bed.
    Its hard to do stuff in a 'follow-able' form here - its confusing enough typing it out! sorry

ReputationRep:
    I got the equation of the tangent to be:

y=4√2-4x/5

∫ ² ³ ± ÷ ° √ ∂ ∞ ≈ ≠ ≡ ≥ ≤ ø Ø ½ ¼ « » µ π

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to do stuff in a 'follow-able' form here - its confusing enough typing it out! sorry
    It's alright dude. Anyway, I'm looking forward to P3, as long as it doesn't have those questions about rate of increase, modelling a differential equation on related rates of change, I friggin hate them.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright dude. Anyway, I'm looking forward to P3, as long as it doesn't have those questions about rate of increase, modelling a differential equation on related rates of change, I friggin hate them.
    I can do pretty much everything now, just gonna do the whole of the vector chapter before wednesday(next) and do all of the edexcel past papers and hopefully Ill be ok..

ReputationRep:
    Im more worried about P2/M2 and my other exams now, P2 seems so alien to P3 its untrue, and M2 is just homo

ReputationRep:
    I can do pretty much everything now, just gonna do the whole of the vector chapter before wednesday(next) and do all of the edexcel past papers and hopefully Ill be ok..
    Do you sometimes find that you make those tiny mistakes that you wouldn't normally do?

ReputationRep:
    Im more worried about P2/M2 and my other exams now, P2 seems so alien to P3 its untrue, and M2 is just homo
    Tell me about it, as soon as I have done the P3 exam I'm gonna just revise P2 and ignore S2 (I dont do mechanics). Though P2 will seem strange, the differentiation questions should seem basic in comparison to P3, though binomial expansion will be weird.

ReputationRep:
    Do you sometimes find that you make those tiny mistakes that you wouldn't normally do?
    Tiny mistakes that I wouldnt normally do when!?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, as soon as I have done the P3 exam I'm gonna just revise P2 and ignore S2 (I dont do mechanics). Though P2 will seem strange, the differentiation questions should seem basic in comparison to P3, though binomial expansion will be weird.
    Yeh P2 is totally weird, you still need to know the binomial stuff for P3 dont forget!!

ReputationRep:
    Tiny mistakes that I wouldnt normally do when!?
    Like once I was asked to integrate X^2 and I forgot to divide by the power, how silly.

ReputationRep:
    Like once I was asked to integrate X^2 and I forgot to divide by the power, how silly.
    Oh yeh I do that all the time, quite scary considering the exams a week away, but I know in the exam Ill just be sitting there going 'Add 1 to the power, divide by the new power!' I always just say that over and over in my head whilst integrating **** to make sure I dont make a mistake

ReputationRep:
    p2 is easy, but m2 is a *****.
    s2 is alright tho (thank god)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    p2 is easy, but m2 is a *****.
    s2 is alright tho (thank god)
    M2 is basic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    M2 is basic!
    hey hey **** you brother!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    hey hey **** you brother!
    Lol. Go and play with Nasdaq!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 2, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.