What's The Point of Power In A Liberal democracy?

Watch
The Dictator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I mean, you invest all that energy into seizing power, and you're forced to use it to benefit others instead of yourself. Seems antithetical really. Why should some random interest group reap the rewards of your labour rather than you personally?

If I had been given a choice to be a politician in the 19th or 20th centuries, I would have preferred that to being a politician now. Any idiot can be a politician nowadays. It's a shame. There's no value in it..
ImNotReallyMe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Dictator)
I mean, you invest all that energy into seizing power, and you're forced to use it to benefit others instead of yourself. Seems antithetical really. Why should some random interest group reap the rewards of your labour rather than you personally?

If I had been given a choice to be a politician in the 19th or 20th centuries, I would have preferred that to being a politician now. Any idiot can be a politician nowadays. It's a shame. There's no value in it..
That's what leadership is, you use it to help the community of people you're trying to connect with and stand with and represent. Leadership is not power and control, it goes much deeper. I also think many politicians these days fake their leadership, which is a real issue, they act sympathetic and like they're trying to help you, but really they just want power and control. Anyway, such weeds soon get weeded out.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
money? fame? confidence?
Crossedit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's all a lie. In reality they are motivated by power. The only difference between then and now is that power is decided and limited by having to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing I don't know.
AnEvolvedApe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you post this twice.......................?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (92)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (280)
15.14%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (260)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.43%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.78%
Loneliness (160)
8.65%
Financial worries (66)
3.57%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.51%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (161)
8.7%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (173)
9.35%

Watched Threads