The Student Room Group

Lip Fillers, are they worth the risk?

I have really low self esteem issues due to the size of my lips, my bottom lip is a normal size but then my top lip looks almost non existent. This has made me really uncomfortable smiling and talking to boys because I feel so embarrassed that my small lips will put them off me before they even get to know me. All of my sisters have plump lips and I just want to be like them. I have tried everything to try and make them bigger e.g. that stupid Kylie Jenner lip challenge, rubbing chilies on them and even sicking pins in my lips. I am now considering having lip fillers put in my lips but I'm really worried if I do because I know that there are so many things that could go wrong and make me look even worse. It really upsets me because I can't help the way that I was made (with thin lips) but it seems like getting lip fillers is my only option. Should I consider it or should I just feel comfortable in my own skin?
Original post by hannahjane21
I have really low self esteem issues due to the size of my lips, my bottom lip is a normal size but then my top lip looks almost non existent. This has made me really uncomfortable smiling and talking to boys because I feel so embarrassed that my small lips will put them off me before they even get to know me. All of my sisters have plump lips and I just want to be like them. I have tried everything to try and make them bigger e.g. that stupid Kylie Jenner lip challenge, rubbing chilies on them and even sicking pins in my lips. I am now considering having lip fillers put in my lips but I'm really worried if I do because I know that there are so many things that could go wrong and make me look even worse. It really upsets me because I can't help the way that I was made (with thin lips) but it seems like getting lip fillers is my only option. Should I consider it or should I just feel comfortable in my own skin?

I think you should work towards feeling comfortable in your own skin. I would not be put off a girl if they had small lips.

Don't do it just be confident in yourself. Honestly I'm pretty sure most guys would rather a girl had small lips than some fake silicon **** injected in there

Firstly, see a therapist to think about what's truly bothering you.
Secondly, if you really need lip fillers, then go to the best cosmetic surgeon to prevent problems.
I'm sure there's tricks you can do with make up to majke your lips appear fuller :smile:
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I think you should work towards feeling comfortable in your own skin. I would not be put off a girl if they had small lips.

Thanks for replying :smile: it's helped a lot
You're just damaging your lips by doing all that stuff. Plus even if you get lip fillers you might not be satisfied and end up falling into the trap of cosmetic surgery. You could try using make up, its cheaper and you don't have to get surgery but you could become reliant on it for confidence. I tried contouring my nose to make it look smaller but it takes a while to do and I get my nose from my mum and I don't think she looks ugly so why would I be ugly because of my nose? Hope that made some form of sense.
Also some people might mention 'guys want natural lips' well frankly this isn't about guys this is about you and your confidence so don't even worry about that.
Honestly big lips are a fad right now but they'll eventually go out of fashion putting the focus on something else to make people feel insecure and spend money.
So try and accept your appearance for what it is. That might be hard but if you can find that confidence within yourself rather than outside like surgery, I think you'll be ok. Best of luck.
Original post by will_jg
Don't do it just be confident in yourself. Honestly I'm pretty sure most guys would rather a girl had small lips than some fake silicon **** injected in there

Hi I'm going to try my best to feel good about myself and I'm going to think more positively. I was only thinking of lip fillers because it really was my only last resort if I wanted big lips
Original post by misscaricature
You're just damaging your lips by doing all that stuff. Plus even if you get lip fillers you might not be satisfied and end up falling into the trap of cosmetic surgery. You could try using make up, its cheaper and you don't have to get surgery but you could become reliant on it for confidence. I tried contouring my nose to make it look smaller but it takes a while to do and I get my nose from my mum and I don't think she looks ugly so why would I be ugly because of my nose? Hope that made some form of sense.
Also some people might mention 'guys want natural lips' well frankly this isn't about guys this is about you and your confidence so don't even worry about that.
Honestly big lips are a fad right now but they'll eventually go out of fashion putting the focus on something else to make people feel insecure and spend money.
So try and accept your appearance for what it is. That might be hard but if you can find that confidence within yourself rather than outside like surgery, I think you'll be ok. Best of luck.

Thanks I know that this should be more about me trying to get my confidence back but I got bullied at school for my lips and a boy even tricked me and asked me on a date but when I got there he sent me a horrible text saying why he would never date me (it killed me inside because I really liked him and I felt embarrassed for inheriting small lips) and this experience has really effected me. Thanks for your comment though I has made me realise that it should be about how I see myself and not about how others see me. Thank you for the positive comments
Thanks I know that this should be more about me trying to get my confidence back but I got bullied at school for my lips and a boy even tricked me and asked me on a date but when I got there he sent me a horrible text saying why he would never date me (it killed me inside because I really liked him and I felt embarrassed for inheriting small lips) and this experience has really effected me. Thanks for your comment though I has made me realise that it should be about how I see myself and not about how others see me. Thank you for the positive comments

Ouch, that must hurt. Honestly, if it makes you more comfortable and confident then go for it. You only live once. I don't know how bad the risks are but surely they can't be that bad if thousands of women are going for them. Also isn't fillers just like fat injected, I don't think that has many risks. I think the lip implant is the one with risks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending