Philosophy and ethics vs Economics AS-level ?

Watch
carpe.noctem
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
which of these did you enjoy the most at AS-level ? Did you find them easy/difficult ? What would you say is the better subject to do for a 4th AS ?
What is the workload like for these subjects ?
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Both
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Both
I can only pick one , which one did you enjoy the most ?
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Economics is terrible at A Level. Haven't done philosophy and ethics but A Level Economics is a joke, only really outclassed in that regard by A Level Business Studies.
markvr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Philosophy and Ethics AS and A2 in one year and really enjoyed it. At AS the most difficult thing is getting into the mindset of philosophy and understanding new concepts. But once you have that down it becomes a lot easier. I mean, most of the ethical theories in Ethics are pretty logical when you think about it. At A2 I would say that the content is relatively the same in terms of difficulty, but the exam technique is definitely a lot more difficult to get down.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Economics is terrible at A Level. Haven't done philosophy and ethics but A Level Economics is a joke, only really outclassed in that regard by A Level Business Studies.
why do you say that ?
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
(Original post by markreed)
I did Philosophy and Ethics AS and A2 in one year and really enjoyed it. At AS the most difficult thing is getting into the mindset of philosophy and understanding new concepts. But once you have that down it becomes a lot easier. I mean, most of the ethical theories in Ethics are pretty logical when you think about it. At A2 I would say that the content is relatively the same in terms of difficulty, but the exam technique is definitely a lot more difficult to get down.
yeah i am mostly worried about the philosophy aspect because i don't know if i will be able to understand all the concepts, after looking through some books some look really confusing.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Humzaawan123)
why do you say that ?
Economics A Level has very little material and is crippled by the fact that they don't treat it as it should be - essentially applied mathematics. Business Studies is like a lol version of economics.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Economics A Level has very little material and is crippled by the fact that they don't treat it as it should be - essentially applied mathematics. Business Studies is like a lol version of economics.
Maybe this has changed ? I will be doing a new specification for economics, which is said to be more closely related to the progression onto an economics degree.
markvr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah i am mostly worried about the philosophy aspect because i don't know if i will be able to understand all the concepts, after looking through some books some look really confusing.
What I found really helped me in terms of understanding is remaining open minded. There are definitely gonna be a lot of wtf moments when your learning the content, but I suppose you just can't attempt to understand the concepts from a superficial standpoint. Its kind of like English, in a way, in that you need to be really analytical in your understanding.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe this has changed ? I will be doing a new specification for economics, which is said to be more closely related to the progression onto an economics degree.
Possibly, basing this off my experience 5 years ago.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
What I found really helped me in terms of understanding is remaining open minded. There are definitely gonna be a lot of wtf moments when your learning the content, but I suppose you just can't attempt to understand the concepts from a superficial standpoint. Its kind of like English, in a way, in that you need to be really analytical in your understanding.
Thanks, also in terms of essays are they more focused on arguing for and against certain views or explaining and analyzing them ?
markvr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, also in terms of essays are they more focused on arguing for and against certain views or explaining and analyzing them ?
At AS, there are two parts to the questions. Part A is basically: "Tell me everything you know about such-and-such". Part B is the bit where you argue for and against certain views. At A2, there is only one question that incorporates the two parts at AS. You have to both argue for and against certain views, in addition to evaluating them.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
At AS, there are two parts to the questions. Part A is basically: "Tell me everything you know about such-and-such". Part B is the bit where you argue for and against certain views. At A2, there is only one question that incorporates the two parts at AS. You have to both argue for and against certain views, in addition to evaluating them.
Thank you, did you find the workload manageable at AS and what grade did you get ? Did you find it easy/difficult overall at AS ?
markvr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you, did you find the workload manageable at AS and what grade did you get ? Did you find it easy/difficult overall at AS ?
The workload at AS was definitely manageable. Once you've got the gist of the theories, it's simply a matter of getting the extra reading done. You need the detail at AS to access the higher bands. Overall, I'd say in comparison to A2 it's definitely easier once you've got your head around it. Dunno what grade I've got yet, as I did AS and A2 in one year (hoping for an A).
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
The workload at AS was definitely manageable. Once you've got the gist of the theories, it's simply a matter of getting the extra reading done. You need the detail at AS to access the higher bands. Overall, I'd say in comparison to A2 it's definitely easier once you've got your head around it. Dunno what grade I've got yet, as I did AS and A2 in one year (hoping for an A).
Good luck , what extra reading would you recommend ?
markvr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good luck , what extra reading would you recommend ?
Ahaa, cheers. I'd recommend Jill Oliphant's stuff on both Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics. Definitely relied on her a lot to get me through my exams. That is of course assuming that your exam board is OCR. A part from that, just google haha. Make sure you cross reference the stuff you find with your teacher, however, because it could be a load of bs.
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
I can only pick one , which one did you enjoy the most ?
Heart is with philosophy, head is with economics
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
Heart is with philosophy, head is with economics
why do you say that ? which did you find the easiest ?
carpe.noctem
Rep:
?
bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads