The Student Room Group

Philosophy and ethics vs Economics AS-level ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eggpotato
Awesome, hope it's a good choice for you :smile: Wow honestly if I were you I would chill this summer and enjoy your life before A Levels begin cause there's no going back :lol: I'm not really sure about any extra reading sources because most of the ones my teachers gave were just hand outs here and there but I think that website https://philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/blog has some stuff in the blog section that could count as extra reading?

Thanks, what are you planning to do at uni ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Humzaawan123
Thanks, what are you planning to do at uni ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law with criminology at Surrey
Oh , why was that ? And could you maybe recommend some extra reading or books I could read over the summer ? And what other subjects did you do ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no hidden reason Hun. For me and many others, it just was difficult. And no I can't because we never used textbooks (that I know of) and I don't know any books that aren't below undergraduate level unfortunately. It's nice to go into a subject knowing nothing about it. That's why I chose it.

I did Eng Lang, History and Eng Lit.
Thanks, I am doing OCR for RE , could you recommend any general extra reading for RE that I can read over the summer ?

What is your email address? I could send you an essay to read, so you see how simple it is to get full marks and what you need to practice doing, writing style etc.

Otherwise, familiarise yourself with different types of arguements. Research a posteriori vs a priori( Philosophy) , learn the basic difference and what it means. Look at deontological vs teleological arguments( Ethics). Learn the basic difference. Do the same with Inductive and Deductive( Philosophy) . Next, research strenghts and weaknesses of each. You don't need lectures, just 5 bullet point strengths, 5 bullet point weaknesses. Find an example to display each strength and weakness.

I swear, if you do this you'll have a rock of a foundation. Those words are buzz words to shove in your introduction, and often are the key features of theories. eg. If you forget a weakness of the Teleological argument, you can criticise its inductive nature. You could do the same for the cosmological argument.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Content and revising everything because despite what people say, the questions change every year.

I'd done all my RE questions before my exam. Even my investigations paper was a rehash of the year before.
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I'd done all my RE questions before my exam. Even my investigations paper was a rehash of the year before.

GCSE?
GCSE?

AS level :smile:
Reply 67
Thanks, what resources would you recommend for bio/chem and maths ? , and any tips ?

For bio and chem I'd recommend the CGP textbooks which contain the whole course, in my opinion they are better than the 'official' textbooks (apart from a few topics). For maths my school didn't give us a textbook but I just used exam solutions as well as just doing past papers which I felt was better for me. In maths I would do past papers with my notes until I felt confident enough in doing them without and it really helped me understand everything that will come up (you could do this with all your subjects if you wanted to), and if there was a topic I didn't do well on I went on exam solutions which has videos as well as a collection of all questions from specific topics which are highly useful.
AS level :smile:

What board sweetie?
What board sweetie?

Edexcel
Edexcel

I thought you werenr talking about OCR. I believe OCR is way more harder than Edexcel by comparing specs.
I thought you werenr talking about OCR. I believe OCR is way more harder than Edexcel by comparing specs.

Perhaps! I hope Universities don't look at the spec then!

For edexcel, you needed 45 for an A. That's 90%raw = 80% UMS.

Doesn't that mean it's impossible to get full UMS? Sorry to ask, but I had no clue
Perhaps! I hope Universities don't look at the spec then!

For edexcel, you needed 45 for an A. That's 90%raw = 80% UMS.

Doesn't that mean it's impossible to get full UMS? Sorry to ask, but I had no clue

That is only for what? One section out of one paper or is that just for one paper? Its not overall anyway, so marks do not fet converted to UMS marks that simply. It takes into account your other units and etc.

Unis do not look at specs like that. However, usually there are leniency unis do take because of how notoriously hard some specs are. For example, AQA B English Lit is harder than AQA A. So if you were to apply to uni, some (not all) unis will consider this implication on results day.
That is only for what? One section out of one paper or is that just for one paper? Its not overall anyway, so marks do not fet converted to UMS marks that simply. It takes into account your other units and etc.

Unis do not look at specs like that. However, usually there are leniency unis do take because of how notoriously hard some specs are. For example, AQA B English Lit is harder than AQA A. So if you were to apply to uni, some (not all) unis will consider this implication on results day.

It was that for one paper.

Oh god I do AQA A Lit! I don't know whether it's easier or not, but the course is structured so teachers basically don't have to teach you much.

Quick Reply

Latest