Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've narrowded down the courses I want to study which are:
1. Economics
2. Accounting and finance
3. Accountancy
4. Accounting and Economics

I just wanted to know the differences between the 4 and which are more respected than others. ( I'm aware many of the modules are similar between them all)

Also, I was intrested to find out which has the least math involved? I've talked to lecturers within these fields and know that between just pure Economics BA or accounting and finance BA it's Economics that has the more math, but not sure about the rest.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers. Oh, also if anyone has any tips on writing personal statements for these course i would also be extremely greatful.
daindian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alexp98)
1. Economics
3. Accountancy

I just wanted to know the differences between the 4 and which are more respected than others. ( I'm aware many of the modules are similar between them all)

Also, I was intrested to find out which has the least math involved? I've talked to lecturers within these fields and know that between just pure Economics BA or accounting and finance BA it's Economics that has the more math, but not sure about the rest.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers. Oh, also if anyone has any tips on writing personal statements for these course i would also be extremely greatful.
I have a undergraduate in accounting and economics but a bsc. Accountancy as a undergraduate degree is a no, essentially it's a waste of a degree as you are only learning accounting and no finance. Straight economics is good. But as you want a ba it will be a lot of essay writing history of economics etc. Accounting and finance will essentially prepare you to be an accountant. You will get upto 9 excemptions from Acca and similar from Cima and icaew. In a accounting and finance degree you will learn mainly accounting modules plus basic economics stats and depending on the uni a few other things. Now on to accounting on econ. Essentially that's a combination of both a accounting and finance degree and a straight econ degree. You just don't go to as much detail into each subject as the other two courses.
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by daindian)
I have a undergraduate in accounting and economics but a bsc. Accountancy as a undergraduate degree is a no, essentially it's a waste of a degree as you are only learning accounting and no finance. Straight economics is good. But as you want a ba it will be a lot of essay writing history of economics etc. Accounting and finance will essentially prepare you to be an accountant. You will get upto 9 excemptions from Acca and similar from Cima and icaew. In a accounting and finance degree you will learn mainly accounting modules plus basic economics stats and depending on the uni a few other things. Now on to accounting on econ. Essentially that's a combination of both a accounting and finance degree and a straight econ degree. You just don't go to as much detail into each subject as the other two courses.
Hmm, this was a lot of help. Your making me lean towards a straight pure BA accounting and finance or economics. Really have no idea which though.. it makes sense you said just accountancy alone is poor as hardly any unis do it so thnaks for clearing that up.
Any help with these two final ones would be a great help. Also, yeah I'm doing a BA as essay writing is my strongest skill due to history and English Lit.
How much math is involved for these two as im not the bedt since I didn't do a level maths
daindian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm, this was a lot of help. Your making me lean towards a straight pure BA accounting and finance or economics. Really have no idea which though.. it makes sense you said just accountancy alone is poor as hardly any unis do it so thnaks for clearing that up.
Any help with these two final ones would be a great help. Also, yeah I'm doing a BA as essay writing is my strongest skill due to history and English Lit.
How much math is involved for these two as im not the bedt since I didn't do a level maths
For my accounting and economics bsc there was quite a bit of maths but too much. They will always make you do a course beforehand or during first year to get you up to scratch with the maths involved.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Economics
3. Accountancy

Hey,

I'm Charlie, on of the Lancaster University student ambassadors. I am currently in my second year of a degree in Finance & Economics.

My degree is 50% Accounting & Finance modules with 50% Economics modules. I find that all of my modules work really well together, even though they are technically different subjects.

I would highly recommend looking into this as an option for your degree. Here is a link to further information about my degree: https://lancaster.funnelback.co.uk/s...+and+economics

I hope this was helpful!

Charlie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (39)
28.47%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.76%
No I am happy with my choice (76)
55.47%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.3%

Watched Threads