The Student Room Group

How much should nurses be paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
They should at least make it a bit above the national average of £34k. I do feel that nurses, along with physios, ots and other band 5s at least deserve to start on 22.5/23k as teachers do. I m not sure anyone would ever agree we should start on the same as doctors do though.

They'll never start on a doctors pay. But considering the years and placement hours students have to commit and the nature of the job, they should have an equal pay to other public sector jobs. The volume of nurses and the perception of what they do will always prevent nurses from higher pay scales
Original post by thesabbath
Could always train them here, but that would destroy the pro mass immigration propaganda "the NHS would collapse without foreign nurses"

Without all the non-EU patients, it would probably balance out. Especially if we gave the jobs to nurses born and trained in GB.
Original post by Absorbaloff
They'll never start on a doctors pay. But considering the years and placement hours students have to commit and the nature of the job, they should have an equal pay to other public sector jobs. The volume of nurses and the perception of what they do will always prevent nurses from higher pay scales

Would they continue to have their courses funds by the taxpayer? Or would they still be getting that gratis?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Would they continue to have their courses funds by the taxpayer? Or would they still be getting that gratis?

out of interest could you tell me how much you believe it costs to train a nurse in comparison to say a doctor?

Ofcourse it should remain tax paid. If students have to work clinical hours to qualify without being paid, then it should be free
out of interest could you tell me how much you believe it costs to train a nurse in comparison to say a doctor?

I don't know. But I know that trainee nurses get their course fees paid.
I don't know. But I know that trainee nurses get their course fees paid.

so you based your opinion on just knowing that without knowing what the taxpayer pays to train other professions too? nurses cost 70k to train which is much less than the cost of training a doctor to the taxpayer. we do placements without being paid so what are you really complaining about?
(edited 8 years ago)
35-45k maybe for a standard experienced nurse (varying with London weighting)?

Obviously it's **** all, but strikes a balance between acknowledging the work they do and the reality of the fact that people don't do it for the dollar.

Much as it seems unfair that City professions get paid many multiples of that for financial work, those are the skills that are sufficiently in demand to warrant that kind of cash.
so you based your opinion on just knowing that without knowing what the taxpayer pays to train other professions too? nurses cost 70k to train which is much less than the cost of training a doctor to the taxpayer. we do placements without being paid so what are you really complaining about?

Doctors pay to study as do dentists. Yet nurses do get their courses paid for.

Engineers don't get their fees paid.

Nurses get benefits that others don't get.
Reply 29
30,000 being a doctor is far harder innit

I dont think you get the fact that student nurses have to commit clinical hours which they are not paid for. Doctors and dentists have their final years paid for as they commit clinical hours. What wonderful benefits are nurses getting that I don't seem to have heard of. Is it ****ty wages, overworking, stress and being scrutinised?

doctors and denstists get nhs funded years, they dont pay for their entire courses. As i said before nurses are much cheaper to train than doctors by around 150k- 200k per person according to a BMA report in 2013. Since nurses spend 50% of their time on placement working for free, its not like we get it covered for nothing. At best a trainee nurse recieves 4k a year bursary, for the best part its less for most people. I got 5k grant doing another degree for something that the government wont necessarily gain much from:P
Engineers arent public sector jobs, do they save lives like nhs workers do so not sure why you ve included them?
Tell me what are these supposed benefits then?
doctors and denstists get nhs funded years, they dont pay for their entire courses. As i said before nurses are much cheaper to train than doctors by around 150k- 200k per person according to a BMA report in 2013. Since nurses spend 50% of their time on placement working for free, its not like we get it covered for nothing. At best a trainee nurse recieves 4k a year bursary, for the best part its less for most people. I got 5k grant doing another degree for something that the government wont necessarily gain much from:P
Engineers arent public sector jobs, do they save lives like nhs workers do so not sure why you ve included them?

Engineers build the machines that doctors and nurses use and build the hospitals that doctors and nurses work in, so yes they save more lives than the doctors and nurses themselves.

Do you think doctors build their own MRI machines?

Being public sector can't justify it alone, in that case the government should write off the student debt of people who go into public sector work. Nor can sheer public utility, obviously some of us do things which are at best neutral and probably detrimental to society as a whole, but people who go into research, the third sector, teaching etc. also do jobs with social worth.

The reason they do it is because of the free work, which is fair enough. Though they should do the same for teachers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
Being public sector can't justify if it alone, in that case the government should write off the student debt of people who go into public sector work. Nor can sheer public utility, obviously some of us do things which are probably at best neutral and probably detrimental to society as a whole, but people who go into research, the third sector, teaching etc. also do jobs with social worth.

The reason they do it is because of the free work, which is fair enough. Though they should do the same for teachers.

I do agree they should consider covering teachers fees, however my partner whose a trainee teacher from september is getting double my bursary so theres something there for teachers.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Engineers build the machines that doctors and nurses use and build the hospitals that doctors and nurses work in, so yes they save more lives than the doctors and nurses themselves.

I think the point she was trying to make was that engineers usually go into private sector work. While most nurses, drs healthcare workers work for the nhs. And what would be the point of these machines existing if there were no nurses or drs to utilise them
Original post by Absorbaloff
I think the point she was trying to make was that engineers usually go into private sector work. While most nurses, drs healthcare workers work for the nhs. And what would be the point of these machines existing if there were no nurses or drs to utilise them

Don't worry, it won't belong before these machines won't need doctors or nurses to utilize them.

Although i do agree that some engineers save lives by building that equipment, not every engineer will necessarily build something that directly saves a life so can they save more lives than nhs workers i seriously doubt when considering that it's not just physical conditions that nhs workers treat, its mental illness including suicide prevention, an mri machine doesnt directly prevent suicide or psychosis or any other enduring mental illness.
Don't worry, it won't belong before these machines won't need doctors or nurses to utilize them.

I guess the NHS won't require radiology staff, but they'll still need doctors and nurses in hospitals

Unless you engineers build a machine capable of compassion and empathy then i dont think we ve anything to worry about, is a robot going to provide effective cbt or successful suicide prevention or relate to someone on a human level i seriously doubt it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending