Why did British people go hysterical over Princess Diana's death? Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Looking back on it, and the cringeworthy hysterics (people sobbing in the streets, candle-lit vigils, the attacks on the Queen for trying to keep it a family matter), I think It's an embarrassing part of British history.

People say it was one of the worst parts of the Queen's reign, but I think historians will look back on it as a monarch having to deal with sobbing fools and populist red-tops, and being forced to cave in. They should have been glad we have a Queen who keeps calm and carries on (as it were), rather than give into emotion like Queen Victoria did (and look where that got us).

Whilst it was very sad when Diana suddenly died, I think people went so over-the-top; they treated it as if a reincarnation of Jesus had died. She was a likeable person and did a lot for charity, but the reaction was like she had previously cured cancer. I don't like to disrespect the dead, yet I am sure she would've probably disliked all the fuss and preferred a private funeral at Sandringham.
Stefano93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Was an inside job
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Looking back on it, and the cringeworthy hysterics (people sobbing in the streets, candle-lit vigils, the attacks on the Queen for trying to keep it a family matter), I think It's an embarrassing part of British history.

People say it was one of the worst parts of the Queen's reign, but I think historians will look back on it as a monarch having to deal with sobbing fools and populist red-tops, and being forced to cave in. They should have been glad we have a Queen who keeps calm and carries on (as it were), rather than give into emotion like Queen Victoria did (and look where that got us).

Whilst it was very sad when Diana suddenly died, I think people went so over-the-top; they treated it as if a reincarnation of Jesus had died. She was a likeable person and did a lot for charity, but the reaction was like she had previously cured cancer. I don't like to disrespect the dead, yet I am sure she would've probably disliked all the fuss and preferred a private funeral at Sandringham.
She was a very loveable character to most people so it's understandable. I know people had committed suicide when they heard Michael Jackson had died. These celebritieseople have a large influence on the lives of some
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She was a national treasure
ivybridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The issue is, though, that Diana had such an amazing relationship with the public and thus why it hit them quite hard. I can see what you mean though.
Furios
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She was hot
ivybridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by queen-bee)
She was a very loveable character to most people so it's understandable. I know people had committed suicide when they heard Michael Jackson had died. These celebritieseople have a large influence on the lives of some
Killing yourself over the death of someone yoh never actually knew is insane to say the least. Otherwise, I agree.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I completely agree. I thought it was stupid even at the time.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stefano93)
Was an inside job
II agree. She was going to Marry that Egyptian guy. The queen couldn't be having it. He wanted her to convert to Islam as well
RobML
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree. It borders on idolatry
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago
Agree and then Blair had to top it up with calling her the 'people's princess' - his approval ratings were above 95% at this time...Nonetheless, I think Britain had become a much more involved place at this time, seeing Diana everywhere in the media and that led to hysterics.
SuperWolfPaws
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
she was murdered. people went crazy because she had a genuine heart for other people and would have made a compassionate queen. i might even support the monarchy if she was made queen. too late now
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because she was genuinely the most caring person in the Royal family. And in some ways, she was more loved than the Queen. As for the attacks on the Royal Family, I think maybe it was because a lot of people were under the impression the Queen had her killed (because she didn't like her) and possibly because they knew how much of an unhappy marriage she had with Charles
TheSeal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
II agree. She was going to Marry that Egyptian guy. The queen couldn't be having it. He wanted her to convert to Islam as well
More Muslim conspiracy theories I see...:rolleyes:
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brits are cringe quite often tbh.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheSeal)
More Muslim conspiracy theories I see...:rolleyes:
It's true, mohamed Al fayad(ex owner of Harrods) spoke out against the royal family and how they planned to kill his son and the princess
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
Pretty nasty thing to say; that she would kill her grandchildren's mother?

The Royals constantly court Islamic monarchs. There isn't any evidence to suggest that they are anti-Muslim.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
It's true, mohamed Al fayad(ex owner of Harrods) spoke out against the royal family and how they planned to kill his son and the princess
Fantastic evidence there... the utterings of a man angry with grief and with a vested interest.
agentawesome
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She was England's Rose.

TheSeal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So the Queen got someone to murder Diana?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (293)
60.41%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.74%
No- I want it (134)
27.63%
No- I don't want it (35)
7.22%

Watched Threads