A-Level Choices - Should I take Chemistry?

Watch
tiannal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm having trouble deciding which A-Levels would be best suited for me.

Right now, I'm pretty sure of three:
Maths
Biology
Psychology

As a fourth, I'm considering Chemistry. Mainly because this will make more degrees possible for me, particularly medical related which at current is the route I imagine myself going down.
However, I don't see Chemistry as one of my stronger or favourite subjects. It's not that I'm bad at it, I'm predicted to get an A/A* at GCSE but I feel there are other subjects I'm better at. I'm willing to work hard to open up more options in the future, but am still unsure whether taking it would be the best option.
It just seems as though Biology A-Level would be worthless to me without Chemistry as the Biology uni courses are then very limited. But Biology is something I really enjoy and can imagine pursuing in the future.

Do you think Chemistry would be a good choice?
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tiannal)
I'm having trouble deciding which A-Levels would be best suited for me.
Right now, I'm pretty sure of three:
Maths
Biology
Psychology
As a fourth, I'm considering Chemistry. Mainly because this will make more degrees possible for me, particularly medical related which at current is the route I imagine myself going down.
However, I don't see Chemistry as one of my stronger or favourite subjects. It's not that I'm bad at it, I'm predicted to get an A/A* at GCSE but I feel there are other subjects I'm better at. I'm willing to work hard to open up more options in the future, but am still unsure whether taking it would be the best option.
It just seems as though Biology A-Level would be worthless to me without Chemistry as the Biology uni courses are then very limited. But Biology is something I really enjoy and can imagine pursuing in the future.
Do you think Chemistry would be a good choice?
If you want to go down a Medical route then Chemistry is definitely a good choice. How important Chemistry is will depend on the exact degree course you want to do - it will be more important for something like Biochemistry than Ecology, obviously. Generally I like to suggest that people take the subjects they're most interested in but in this case, I do think that Chemistry is an option that will help you a lot if you want to go down a medical route.
bigboateng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you know what career you wanna go into? Find that out first so you know whether you need chem or not.

Personally if I see chemistry coming from the left I'm running I the right! It was the hardest AS I did, there were soo much stuff to remember and I think I found further maths easier. If you haven't enjoyed chemistry in the past then don't do it, it's hard. Biology is a good Alevel, doesn't necessarily mean you need chem although they compliment each other. Unless If you plan on going into a medical type degree then you don't have to do chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
anonymousm3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you should take chemistry. I mean, there are loads of topics to cover but most people say it is not really harder than GCSE level chemistry. It will also keep your options open for the future, so yeah, go for it!
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anonymousm3)
i think you should take chemistry. I mean, there are loads of topics to cover but most people say it is not really harder than gcse level chemistry. It will also keep your options open for the future, so yeah, go for it!
ahahahahahahahahahahaha
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're possibly planning on medicine, chemistry is a good idea:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement

Are you planning on finishing four courses, or do you expect to drop one? Will you school be doing AS papers at the end of year 12? Not all will be.

As has been said, chemistry is a good option-keeper-opener.
anonymousm3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Strawberry68)
ahahahahahahahahahahaha
I don't get it.
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't get it.
It's a lot harder.

The AS content is ok. The exam papers are dreadful.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't get it.
A Level Chemistry has a reputation of being one of the hardest A Levels. AS Chemistry is fine but A2 Chemistry is seriously difficult.
anonymousm3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a lot harder.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up 😂
tiannal
Rep:
?
(Original post by bigboateng)
Do you know what career you wanna go into? Find that out first so you know whether you need chem or not.

Personally if I see chemistry coming from the left I'm running I the right! It was the hardest AS I did, there were soo much stuff to remember and I think I found further maths easier. If you haven't enjoyed chemistry in the past then don't do it, it's hard. Biology is a good Alevel, doesn't necessarily mean you need chem although they compliment each other. Unless If you plan on going into a medical type degree then you don't have to do chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not entirely sure of the career I want to go into. At the moment, medicine is something that I'm thinking about and can see myself getting into.
I considered Further Maths, but after researching some universities I realised I could, if I decided, still do a Maths degree without it so decided against it.
In my school, we had to choose to stay for after school lessons in order to do GCSE Chemistry and I really didn't mind it. Is it a major difference in the content from GCSE or just the amount to learn?
Thanks for the help
anonymousm3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
A Level Chemistry has a reputation of being one of the hardest A Levels. AS Chemistry is fine but A2 Chemistry is seriously difficult.
I did not know this. Thanks.
sunshine152
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At my sixth form we were always told by teachers and students that chemistry is the hardest subject at sixth form, but don't let this put you off of you need the subject for your future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
tiannal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
If you're possibly planning on medicine, chemistry is a good idea:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement

Are you planning on finishing four courses, or do you expect to drop one? Will you school be doing AS papers at the end of year 12? Not all will be.

As has been said, chemistry is a good option-keeper-opener.
Thanks for the helpful link!

I'm planning on dropping one, most likely Psychology. Though this may change if I'm struggling with any of the other subjects or feel I can cope with the workload and continue with four subjects.
As far as I'm aware the school sits AS papers at the end of year 12, does this make any difference?
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Plenty of people seem to differ in opinion, but biology is far harder than chemistry, in that it requires far more work, as there's a lot more content.

If you do biology, make your notes from the past papers early, so you get the specificity.

Chemistry is easy(-ier) in that it's applying a few concepts in CH1, repetitive, and all complements each other.

Sometimes though you need to write your own methods on calculations, and memorise something before you fully understand it.

It's also good to search for different viewpoints, as some places explain concepts which make it much easier to understand for you.

EDIT #1: Examboards Biology AQA Chemistry WJEC

and I'm talking relatively, from my experience.
But everyone works differently.

AQA might just be a harder exam board, I don't know.
tiannal
Rep:
?
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
Plenty of people seem to differ in opinion, but biology is far harder than chemistry, in that it requires far more work, as there's a lot more content.

If you do biology, make your notes from the past papers early, so you get the specificity.

Chemistry is easy(-ier) in that it's applying a few concepts in CH1, repetitive, and all complements each other.

Sometimes though you need to write your own methods on calculations, and memorise something before you fully understand it.

It's also good to search for different viewpoints, as some places explain concepts which make it much easier to understand for you.

EDIT #1: Examboards Biology AQA Chemistry WJEC

and I'm talking relatively, from my experience.
But everyone works differently.

AQA might just be a harder exam board, I don't know.
Thanks for the tips!
I'm sure Biology is something I want to study at A Level as I'm really interested in the subject. So hopefully that will motivate me to put the work in to get a good grade.
I think the sixth form does both subjects on WJEC exam board, so hopefully Chemistry won't be too bad!
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll expand upon my previous post, as a bit of advice. I know I'm digressing.

It is much easier to consistently do smaller bits of revision throughout the course, than to leave it to the end. I personally heard this many times, but didn't take it on board.

For biology, for a topic, eventually base your notes on the past paper questions, as opposed to just booklets. Biology just sees to have topic after topic, and although the concept might come easily, doesn't mean you know how to express yourself to the exam boards liking.

Don't get daunted, but it'll make it easier in the long run.

Back on to chemistry.
Possibly some difficult concepts, but to avoid this, see it explained from other peoples viewpoint. Look up some stuff online.

When I saw one explanation for one thing, I just couldn't get it (as I kept probably day dreaming; I can have an imaginative imagination xD) but as I saw it online I instantly got it, as it was explained differently which was preferable to me.

The concepts are nice in that they seriously do complement each other, and as you learn more, you gain a greater understanding of the things previously learnt. it's very relative.
tiannal
Rep:
?
It's a lot harder.

Would you mind me asking which exam board your experience is based on?
tiannal
Rep:
?
(Original post by XcitingStuart)
I'll expand upon my previous post, as a bit of advice. I know I'm digressing.

It is much easier to consistently do smaller bits of revision throughout the course, than to leave it to the end. I personally heard this many times, but didn't take it on board.

For biology, for a topic, eventually base your notes on the past paper questions, as opposed to just booklets. Biology just sees to have topic after topic, and although the concept might come easily, doesn't mean you know how to express yourself to the exam boards liking.

Don't get daunted, but it'll make it easier in the long run.

Back on to chemistry.
Possibly some difficult concepts, but to avoid this, see it explained from other peoples viewpoint. Look up some stuff online.

When I saw one explanation for one thing, I just couldn't get it (as I kept probably day dreaming; I can have an imaginative imagination xD) but as I saw it online I instantly got it, as it was explained differently which was preferable to me.

The concepts are nice in that they seriously do complement each other, and as you learn more, you gain a greater understanding of the things previously learnt. it's very relative.
I've heard this from quite a few people, think I'll definitely start revision as early as possible!
Do you have any website you'd recommend for Chemistry?
An imaginative imagination is never a downfall
Thanks so much for the advice, I'm sure it'll be very helpful!
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did not know this. Thanks.
I'm not trying to put anyone off but I just want to be realistic - it is difficult. Conceptually, AS Chemistry is pretty hard in comparison to the other subjects at at A2, there's just a huge amount of stuff you have to memorise. Tons of different reaction pathways and colour changes. It's a very rewarding A Level and I'm very glad that I took it, but hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads